Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Oh my giddy aunt, the coach I ordered from MRD yesterday afternoon turned up in the wilds of the New Forest 9 a m. this morning. Seriously impressive service, seriously impressive model.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, reddragon said:

Could you pre-warn us when spare stock is about to be listed on your website. Might be up for a few more of these!

Yes a plus one from me too!  Bit late to the party on these and would like a few NSE ones myself!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reddragon said:

Could you pre-warn us when spare stock is about to be listed on your website.

Sign up on the relevant item page and you will be notified when they become available.  I think that this is done by request date so don't hang around.

Roddy

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I suspect Rails have had or are about to have a delivery of Mk2bs as I've just found a debit on my credit card for some NSE 2bs.  As I made a pre-order of some 2cs at the same time, can I ask Accurascale if there is an ETA for the 2c models?

I'm not impatient, I just need to make sure they are paid for!

Payment for mine was taken this Wednesday, so yes I expect they will be on their way very soon. As an aside I have just managed to obtain a NSE corridor first from Model Railways Direct in addition to the 4 TSOs I ordered from Rails so I may get that before the TSOs arrive. Either way I am looking forward to getting my mitts on them. From what I've seen on here they really do look the dog's dangly bits!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Not really relevant to this thread, but showing J67 etc. as  ETA Q2 2024 when they're not in production yet seems optimistic?

The ETAs are set based on the most current information from production, if there hasn't been an update then the date doesn't move speculatively. 

On the Buckjumper, I understand final deco samples are in review, and then the delivery date can be cross checked and confirmed, at which point an update will be posted and the status page updated to match,

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

These are really excellent coaches, my W5488 has been reallocated to Polmadie.

The W was really stubborn to remove so I resorted to a sanding stick and masking tape.  Scotrail rub down transfers and a dusting of halfords matt varnish and now a coach to go with the two mk2c scotrail coaches in the pipeline.

I have no idea if this is correct but i'm blissfully unaware.

20240315_092306.jpg

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

My 8 coach WR rake has landed via Rails/DPD.  I'll just "me too" the appreciative posts, if I may 🤩

Did you get notification from Rails that they they were on their way? would be handy to be in when DPD try and deliver mine

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, metadyneman said:

Did you get notification from Rails that they they were on their way? would be handy to be in when DPD try and deliver mine

Yes, although a message from DPD saying they were expecting the parcel was the first arrival.  I find the DPD tracking very useful, it's one of those that shows you roughly where the driver is and how many stops are between you👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Yes, although a message from DPD saying they were expecting the parcel was the first arrival.  I find the DPD tracking very useful, it's one of those that shows you roughly where the driver is and how many stops are between you👍

Yes I agree, DPD are very good at tracking. Thanks for the reply too 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another appreciation post for Model Railways Direct. Ordered five 2B's yesterday at 2pm and arrived on the doorstep this morning. That also includes them having to phone me at 4:30pm to re-authourise my payment as my initial payment decided it would decline (after going through successfully).

Fantastic service. Need a 2C BFK now, so will keep an eye out when they start arriving.

• Like 3

Only 'problem*' I have found with these coaches is that they are too free running for my Hornby 50. I've never noticed any jerking motion from it, but with these very free running coaches attached, they do tend to hunt about at slower speeds and snatching at the tension lock couplings. (Especially the last coach, all the passengers would be violently ill if it were real life!)

Will switch to the supplied magnetic couplings and that should make a difference.

*Obviously not Accurascale's fault at all

Well, less then 24 hours after ordering from Model Railways Direct ive received the first mk2 coach. 

this is SERIOUSLY good service and credit to MRD and the Royal Mail (cant believe im saying this about RM).

You have gained a loyal customer here for repeat business. 

Edited by Krieghoff
Typo
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, ted633 said:

Only 'problem*' I have found with these coaches is that they are too free running for my Hornby 50. I've never noticed any jerking motion from it, but with these very free running coaches attached, they do tend to hunt about at slower speeds and snatching at the tension lock couplings. (Especially the last coach, all the passengers would be violently ill if it were real life!)

Will switch to the supplied magnetic couplings and that should make a difference.

*Obviously not Accurascale's fault at all

We have a fix for that coming later this year 😃

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Krieghoff said:

Well, less then 24 hours after ordering from Model Railways Direct ive received the first mk2 coach. 

this is SERIOUSLY good service and credit to MRD and the Royal Mail (cant believe im saying this about RM).

You have gained a loyal customer here for repeat business. 

Did the postie not knock you up, hand you the coach and say lets play trains........:)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, McC said:

We have a fix for that coming later this year 😃

Intrigued!  Could it be magnetic damping?

With the right wheel metal, as the wheel rotates, a nearby neodymium magnet might provide enough drag to very lightly pull on the inter-vehicle couplings. This would be through Eddy currents, not direct magnetic attraction, hence the 'right wheel metal' is required.

At standstill, the drag is zero but as the wheel starts to rotate a subtle drag is provided, enough perhaps to keep couplings in extension?  The drag would increase with train speed, so subtle stuttering of the loco at speed might be cancelled out.

Once an engineer...

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Intrigued!  Could it be magnetic damping?

With the right wheel metal, as the wheel rotates, a nearby neodymium magnet might provide enough drag to very lightly pull on the inter-vehicle couplings. This would be through Eddy currents, not direct magnetic attraction, hence the 'right wheel metal' is required.

At standstill, the drag is zero but as the wheel starts to rotate a subtle drag is provided, enough perhaps to keep couplings in extension?  The drag would increase with train speed, so subtle stuttering of the loco at speed might be cancelled out.

Once an engineer...

No, they have their own a class 50 coming. 

Edited by farren
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

My RSPI Mk2 rake now complete and very impressive - just need the loco at the front! 

I was going to suggest a Murphy Models 111 Class GM diesel 112 or 8113 (they were produced in a deeper blue than 111). However, at the moment I can only find 111 which has an asking price of £500! In detail and functions, the models were ahead of their time. A much better idea would be a WT, if someone would produce one. Into the bargain, a WT would be a link in the chain of development from the Fowler 2-6-4T to the BR Standard.

In the cold light of dawn, I realise that Stanier’s three-cylinder 2-6-4T scores very low in the polls, so perhaps a WT is a hopeless cause. I wouldn’t like to try to design one either. The wider gauge pushes the cylinders farther out to the sides which, in turn, makes the steam pipes very prominent.

image.png.07c4e61f6ec29e6c88bf2a703d058d73.png

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

My RSPI Mk2 rake now complete and very impressive - just need the loco at the front! 

You need to ask ? There is only one .............................. 1974 re-lived

image.png.8706cda1400d150d585a38a36815a530.png

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1