Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Well, less then 24 hours after ordering from Model Railways Direct ive received the first mk2 coach. 

this is SERIOUSLY good service and credit to MRD and the Royal Mail (cant believe im saying this about RM).

You have gained a loyal customer here for repeat business. 

I will second that.   Since my solitary Mk2b BFK recently arrived from Accurascale and received a short test run, it has languished back in its box awaiting the rest of my intended rake arriving from Accurascale (which are all Mk2c).  Craving some instant gratification, I saw from this thread that Model Railways Direct had stocks of Mk2b available.   Viewing stock levels on their website a few times it was soon obvious that these were selling quickly.   Yesterday afternoon I pulled the trigger and placed an order for a blue and grey TSO.    The postie delivered it this morning.  Excellent service.  

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My RTC safely delivered yesterday, left in my safe place at home, although the DPD notification showed a porch which I don't have! Never mind, arrived safely so that is that matters!

Great packaging and superb coaches. No where to run them at the moment so instead taken to remove from box, enjoy looking at them and then putting back!

Bought and received a set of blue / grey Mk2B as well and wished that I had also ordered a few Mk2C, so hopefully be able to purchase a couple later.

• Like 2

Received my TransPennine livery 2Bs this morning, thought I would compare them to other TP coaches I have colour wise.

This first one shows the Model Rail Bachmann version. Dark blue is quite different:

IMG_3578.JPG.d0e837cf3d47914037925d6a6de55506.JPG

However, compared to a Lima coach I repainted with Railmatch paint and converted to a 2C there is a good match:

IMG_3579.JPG.d5799d2608c13efadc0f97403e3f131f.JPG

The intention was to run my Lima and Hornby repaints in one train and the Bachmann and Accurascale in another but it looks like the Bachmann coaches could do with the dark blue repainting.

Edited by giz
Edit to remove multiple images I managed to attach by mistake
  • Like 8

I had a couple of Bachmann mk2s and the overall height of these was less than that of their mk1s making them look a bit odd when run together. Are these higher? 

Dave

Edited by drgj

13 minutes ago, drgj said:

Are these higher? 

You know that there is a post literally above your one with a photo of a Bachmann Mk2a and an Accurascale Mk2b right next to each other so that you can judge for yourself?

From the photo, they look the same height to the roofline to me although the rain strip looks to be lower on the Bachmann?

Guy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, giz said:

Received my TransPennine livery 2Bs this morning, thought I would compare them to other TP coaches I have colour wise.

This first one shows the Model Rail Bachmann version. Dark blue is quite different:

IMG_3578.JPG.d0e837cf3d47914037925d6a6de55506.JPG

However, compared to a Lima coach I repainted with Railmatch paint and converted to a 2C there is a good match:

IMG_3579.JPG.d5799d2608c13efadc0f97403e3f131f.JPG

The intention was to run my Lima and Hornby repaints in one train and the Bachmann and Accurascale in another but it looks like the Bachmann coaches could do with the dark blue repainting.

Id say they are spot on. From my research and little memory of the time I think Transpennine was a livery carried at the time and was darker. Regional Railways comes along based on this but think the shade of blue got a bit lighter..... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Id say they are spot on. From my research and little memory of the time I think Transpennine was a livery carried at the time and was darker. Regional Railways comes along based on this but think the shade of blue got a bit lighter..... 

That's what I was thinking but the Bachmann coach in the photo is the ModelRail TransPennine release, not the Regional Railways one. It looks like they used the same blue for both.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is a photo of my IRM NIR Mk2 coaches with a Murphy Models NIR GM No 111.

20240207_102902.jpg.2a7e8e05043fe14168813c97e7085e6e.jpg

The blue on the coaches is much darker than on the locomotive.  I remember the prototype as all being the same colour as in this photograph taken at Belfast Central. February 1981

DoubledHeadedGM101102Belfast810202.jpg.6b275887d91880a69befdfce9bcd2154.jpg

So; who has got the colour correct?  IRM, Murphy Models or neither?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

As far as I am aware, the only colour that changed from Provincial (Trans-Pennine) to Regional Railways was the lower beige/grey colour. For Provincial, it was the same shade of beige as used on the InterCity livery. For Regional Railways, it was updated to a silver/grey. 

Edited by 47475
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guy- Thanks. I only noticed the Lima coach!  The Bachmann looks to be  the same height as you say. Maybe the Bachmann mk1s are too high as I imagine that the Accurascale coach must be accurate by way of the manufacturer's name!

Dave

Edited by drgj
  • Agree 1

My WCRC pair arrived yesterday. Yes they are fantastic coaches, but that's already been covered to death. I was more interested in the comparison to the Bachmann WCRC release though, as along with the forthcoming Accurascale mk2c and Bachmann mk1s they will make the full rake. Anyway after a bit of weathering they look pretty good together, just like a rake would that's been painted over a few years. Body sides kept clean, but underframes, lower sides and roof dirtied up a bit. I also used a bit of tcut on the sides to get that nice used shine effect which old stuff seems to get because of too many oily rags. All quite subtle but basically they look alright together. Few pics in natural light below.

Only thing I'm unsure of is the West Coast logo. Can't tell which one is right, but I think I'll order some from railtec and probably end up redoing them all as no doubt that will be different again 😄

PXL_20240317_151520715~3.jpg

PXL_20240317_151640866~3.jpg

PXL_20240317_151732007~3.jpg

PXL_20240317_151611485~4.jpg

PXL_20240317_151600106~3.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Markn said:

My WCRC pair arrived yesterday. Yes they are fantastic coaches, but that's already been covered to death. I was more interested in the comparison to the Bachmann WCRC release though, as along with the forthcoming Accurascale mk2c and Bachmann mk1s they will make the full rake. Anyway after a bit of weathering they look pretty good together, just like a rake would that's been painted over a few years. Body sides kept clean, but underframes, lower sides and roof dirtied up a bit. I also used a bit of tcut on the sides to get that nice used shine effect which old stuff seems to get because of too many oily rags. All quite subtle but basically they look alright together. Few pics in natural light below.

Only thing I'm unsure of is the West Coast logo. Can't tell which one is right, but I think I'll order some from railtec and probably end up redoing them all as no doubt that will be different again 😄

PXL_20240317_151520715~3.jpg

PXL_20240317_151640866~3.jpg

PXL_20240317_151732007~3.jpg

PXL_20240317_151611485~4.jpg

PXL_20240317_151600106~3.jpg

Thankfully these vehicles have been photographed quite a bit so it’s relatively easy to verify the accuracy 😉

IMG_7509.jpeg

Edited by McC
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

Oh 💩 I was happy before but that Bachmann coach looks rediculous now compared to that latest photo 🙃 

Repaint it is. Railmatch EWS Maroon looks a good match? Unless anyone from Accurascale can let me know what paint code they used?

1 hour ago, Markn said:

Oh 💩 I was happy before but that Bachmann coach looks rediculous now compared to that latest photo 🙃 

Repaint it is. Railmatch EWS Maroon looks a good match? Unless anyone from Accurascale can let me know what paint code they used?

To be honest you could have it as a faded one... but the Mk. 1 set that I have repainted I have used Pheonix paints for BR Coach Crimson. As in Blood and Custard livery... but painted full coach in that and they look spot on. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

To be honest you could have it as a faded one... but the Mk. 1 set that I have repainted I have used Pheonix paints for BR Coach Crimson. As in Blood and Custard livery... but painted full coach in that and they look spot on. 

Thanks, I'll order some of that then. Much prefer Phoenix paints anyway for airbrushing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Markn said:

I have personally used railmatch crimson, but yet to compare as waiting on WCRC MK2Bs

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Here is a photo of my IRM NIR Mk2 coaches with a Murphy Models NIR GM No 111.

20240207_102902.jpg.2a7e8e05043fe14168813c97e7085e6e.jpg

The blue on the coaches is much darker than on the locomotive.  I remember the prototype as all being the same colour as in this photograph taken at Belfast Central. February 1981

DoubledHeadedGM101102Belfast810202.jpg.6b275887d91880a69befdfce9bcd2154.jpg

So; who has got the colour correct?  IRM, Murphy Models or neither?

Personally I don’t think either of them are spot on. 

• Like 1

On 14/03/2024 at 16:13, NBL said:

And you know this how?

AS started off selling direct, that doesn't fit with your narrative does it?

I suggest you stop posting your fantasies until you have the full insight of Accurascales business practices.

He's entitled to his opinion. 

We've all got a right to be wrong.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/03/2024 at 20:27, drgj said:

I had a couple of Bachmann mk2s and the overall height of these was less than that of their mk1s making them look a bit odd when run together. Are these higher? 

Dave

If it helps my notes for mk2s are they should be 49.5mm to top of roof (excluding vents) and 41.7mm over guttering. Mk1s are also pretty much identical and obviously in reality ride heights would vary slightly.

I've got a Bachmann MK2f set up at 49.5mm height so will be able to check the MK2b when I've converted to EM. I dont think there'll be any issues though as my very unscientific first glance the Mk2f and Mk2b looked ok together so I'm expecting the Mk2b ride height to be ok.

I have to measure up the Bachmann mk2a but when I looked at them a long time ago I seem to remember they looked a little low but thinking it's the guttering being too low that could be tricking my eye. I think I'm seeing that in the photos on the thread here. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

If it helps my notes for mk2s are they should be 49.5mm to top of roof (excluding vents) and 41.7mm over guttering. Mk1s are also pretty much identical and obviously in reality ride heights would vary slightly.

I've got a Bachmann MK2f set up at 49.5mm height so will be able to check the MK2b when I've converted to EM. I dont think there'll be any issues though as my very unscientific first glance the Mk2f and Mk2b looked ok together so I'm expecting the Mk2b ride height to be ok.

I have to measure up the Bachmann mk2a but when I looked at them a long time ago I seem to remember they looked a little low but thinking it's the guttering being too low that could be tricking my eye. I think I'm seeing that in the photos on the thread here. 

At 1:1 scale I wonder how much height variation there is due to the state of the suspension on the coach and pax loading, going from new springs empty coach to knackered springs full coach.

Wasn't the issue with the Bachmann Mk1s that when they fitted the B4 bogies to them they pushed the ride height up compared to their Mk2as or am I mis-remembering?

Anyhoo, I notice on tatbay someone is selling modified Bachmann Mk2 stock with wafty magnetic lighting and detailed 3d printed and painted seats which show it is relatively easy to upgrade them to a standard where they could run in mixed rakes.  The 3d printed replacement seats look very nice and work out at about £12 a coach so it is something I will look at when I start upgrading my mixers.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Wasn't the issue with the Bachmann Mk1s that when they fitted the B4 bogies to them they pushed the ride height up compared to their Mk2as or am I mis-remembering?

The Bachmann Mk 2s tend to ride a little low. Some time back someone suggested adding shims above the bogies to raise the ride height. I added some crudely cut plastic sheet shaped as an open 'U' to add 1mm to the ride height of a couple of Bachmann Mk 2s and they now match the Mk 1s and a much older Hornby Mk 2 which I tarted up and flush-glazed. I haven't received my Accurascale Mk 2B yet but I fully expect it to match the height of the Bachmann Mk 1s and the newly raised Mk 2s.