Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

Clicked on the link in your earlier post out of curiosity and now getting emails begging me to buy.

Guess you are as well @Schooner  How low can you go . . . . ? Can you miss out on the gruel as well ?🤔

image.png.5465baa414e5f44bf9ca06ed4d164f69.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hahaha, sorry, I guess! Funnily enough no emails this end, 'tho. Happily I found the trolley easy to resist, but have logged it for inspiration. It's lovely, but fails to convince. At least I can keep the household in oatmeal for another week...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Clicked on the link in your earlier post out of curiosity and now getting emails begging me to buy.

Guess you are as well @Schooner  How low can you go . . . . ? Can you miss out on the gruel as well ?🤔

Bothersome emails from ebay can be turned off somewhere amongst your account options.  It's been too long since I did it so I can't remember the finer details of how to do it.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 30/05/2023 at 00:39, Schooner said:

4-wheel coupé 

Prototype: Wot Wolfie Sed

How it started

Edouard_Pingret_-_Queen_Victoria_(1819-1

How it's went

jpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=596%2B365&

Relevant dates along the way include build (early 1843, probably), coversion to 6-wheel chassis of 6'4"+6'4" (1846<1855 ), new 4-wheel chassis "on entering public service" in 1876 (I struggle to believe this doesn't actually mean 'on leaving Royal service'). After which it goes walkabout, only to turn up in Col. Stephens' sights whilst he was engaged to convert the East Cornwall Minerals Railway from 3'6" to standard gauge and knock out an extension to the main line at Bere Alston, in 1905.

Model:

https://www.steamandthings.com/page20c.htm

Body only; not longer in production but photo-tool available for local etching.

A stretch of my modelling chops - the build and the painting will be excitingly beyond my comfort zone!

M&WJR:

Good question! I suspect a quiet word might have been had in the right ear when it was withdrawn from Royal service in 1876, as thereafter it was reportedly sighted in Gloucestershire, presumed for use as the Director's "Inspection" Saloon.

30 years old and archaic, I can't see it being put into regular use even on the M&WJR by the time the Ingleford scene is set...but I can see the Directors' vanity getting involved if such a vehicle was known to be available...

8-wheel clerestory (makes me smile just to type that!)

Prototype:

Built 1885 by the Metroploitan Carriage and Wagon Company for the Suakin-Berber Railway in The Sudan. This line closed before completion, and the related scandal saw Parliament demand the repatriation of all stock. Although I assume they're of the same house, I don't believe the coach is the same as that preserved at Chatham

Kitchener-Coach-at-Chatham-Dockyard-1024

Model:

https://www.steamandthings.com/page50.htm

M&WJR:

No oven-ready excuse for this either, but it's the smallest, cutest, most Ingleford little coach I think I've come across in 4mm. Is it a regular passenger vehicle serving the wharf? Is Ingleford station itself on a short spur, and it is simplest to clear the coach down to the wharf during the midday passenger traffic slump? Is it a Sunday Special to get the bargees up to church in Stroud?! More detective work on the route of the M&WJR just West of Stroud as it dived down into the old canal bed is in order...

Layout:

In short, it's Rule 1. I want a bit of passenger stock, I like these, these shall be my passenger stock! I like the world-build aspect of being able to run little mixed trains (it makes use of the extra cassette and siding length I have available without pushing the size of the Inglenook Puzzle beyond the bounds of fun). and the fact I can use them 'stored' at Ingleford Wharf to artificially reduce siding length, enforcing 'real' Inglenook Puzzle rules/generally increasing challenge etc. As mntioned above, both carriages will force me to up my modelling game, and the challenge won't do me any harm.

In other news:

Before.

Before.jpg.da8f02a6e05390bc299f030eedda816f.jpg

After.

After.jpg.2dabcab8bb12219c1014610a9a931343.jpg

...well, during. Had a Bright Idea to improve ease of controller placement/removal/rotation with DCC system, so there's a little bit more to do tomo than planned, but I think we can call this an improvement.

Thanks for the etching recommendations, will follow up ASAP. Broader update in the next day or two...

Why the two mains supply sockets under the baseborad?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thorness said:

Why the two mains supply sockets under the baseborad?

Self-contained controller and turnout motor power feeds/to have only one wire coming out of the layout depending on quite what the question is.

Having one nice long cable (c.10m) to drive everything makes it easy to turn on/off/move/re-home etc. The controller is too heavy to move with the layout, and so needs disconnected from mains and track feeds fairly regularly. This is now quickly and easily done through the hole in the front (in which the controller lives when in use) via Wago lever-action through connectors for mains and standard 12v-style male/female connectors for track feed. Previously it was on the dull side of tedious to wire in.

The break in the controller power cable was made *cough* decades ago when it drove a permanent shed layout. Not sure what the reasoning was to splice in a length of extra wire rather than use a separate extension, but that's fathers for you - infallible when you're five! Now the cut can be put to good use (and the slightly sketchy but perfectly reliable old connections removed and discarded!) by enabling swift and simple set-up and break-down of the layout as need be.

Was that the answer to the right question?!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was a bit worried that you were using a cable from the mains wall socket with a  3 pin mains plug on the end to connect to transformers/controller built into the board. Mains power potentially available available on exposed pins!  It sounds daft but I've seen it done.

Cheers

Don

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Schooner said:

Concern appreciated, thank you :) I've done some stupid things in my time, but happily never that!

This was a recent find when stripping out some redundant wiring from a lighting rig. Can we guess why it had never worked?

IMG_20230420_170455.jpg.65391f179fc1150b1cff5d24d12083dd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This was a recent find when stripping out some redundant wiring from a lighting rig. Can we guess why it had never worked?

Well, they got one out of three right!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

4mm - Ingleford Wharf

Let's start with a piccy and a question:

Yardage.jpg.8b8b4bac42909047750f18f30d1e9085.jpg

What should fill the white triangle? A return to setts? Bare earth? I think it's going to be a bit of a dumping ground - the arse end of New Wharf, full of old crates, spare bricks and horse sh*t :)

Background. I've spent the last couple of days with hilariously debilitating hayfever - ragged-raw throat, screaming intercostals and cramping abs (finally found 'em!), unable to see or breathe as one might wish, splitting headache, orifice-streaming...the works. There isn't much upside to this, but it did mean the planned chainsaw extravaganza was put on hold, freeing up some modelling time.

I tried.

The universe, not so much:

Dubious.jpg.a5f7b6761548749a9405c97f6b16efca.jpg

No expert, but I don't think it's meant to look like

Sub-optimal.jpg.29fddae63cb15a55c8f71d5c40993b6e.jpg

that.

To skip a boring convo, Antonia from the supplier (one of the well-known big ones) was as excellent as one could hope and all is well, if not as planned.

Wigglewiggle.jpg.ea883220975deda32d6b8604c3db9ba1.jpg

So, a quick trial and bit of rough woodwork later

Extension.jpg.e7c6c9230b6037819759627222a15d4d.jpg

it was time to pop it into place and fit the transition track on the end.

Alden-Ehrenreich-Hobie-Doyle-Hail-Caesar

Thirdtimesthe....jpg.f94b3c7bf0e236649a70e8c7ee94d4ed.jpg

I failed to comprehend that the transition track was not from Code 75 Bullhead to Code 100; likewise the finer points of how it achieves transition in the first place. This lead to a moment's vehement swearing quiet contemplation, and the disbelieving reaching for the powered rail joiner packet.

...orfifthtime....jpg.626b9a345f390ee5b99874a1e165a48d.jpg

This is less pleasing on every level. The kink, though small, refuses to be unseen.

But 👌 👃 we're all about job completion down at Ingleford Wharf [Are we?! Ed.] so we press on with the sousing

Moist.jpg.e4c4acb4a2bfcd30d108b42a999a88c5.jpg

And dowsing

4729.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

Er, nope, the other one*

Sticky.jpg.fa61f242d732a5cccce65ef89bc0da87.jpgSticky.jpg.fa61f242d732a5cccce65ef89bc0da87.jpg

As per SOPs.

*Fun little pseudo-science/signet ring combo there though. Simply too mean for an actual geophys survey?

And that gets us pretty much back to where we started this post and I started the week!

Extra disappointment available for those who buy Kinder Surprise read on: Treemendus, whose 'Earth Powder' product is up there with the very best ground covers straight from the bag, 'Normandy Earth' is rubbish. It's a very fine brown powder with sand in it, nothing like its sister product. Avoid.

quote-i-m-english-and-as-such-i-crave-di

Bewilderness, 2001

Edited by Schooner
Header only, typos remain
  • Like 10
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

In other areas also I found my optimism short lived

Neilson1.jpg.7388d74cb237ffe91aeb6af76dc33899.jpg

Hmmm. Maybe Tipi's chassis shrank in the wash

Neilson2.jpg.c3e926823c5c358821ab582b5c2c8fb3.jpg

...or maybe...

In other other news:

Kittage.jpg.946f7e49543a12dcac18dde00b0b31c5.jpg

Just the thing for some feel-good low-demand modelling. Prospective M&WJR Cider Van (open slats for cooling, allegedly knocked up by the Brimscombe Works a full fortnight after the GWR introduced their pioneering first Siphon design. "Total coincidence, guv, we've been working on it for years, we 'ave") and 'Perishing Van' (I sympathise with the M&WJR clerk who refused to ammend this. Good man).

Hulking in the background like class priviledge at a Debutante Ball is what I'd like to be a genuine Siphon O1, moonlighting in its twilight years along of Victoria Quay.

We'll see if any of them make the cut in light of day! If not no worries from this quarter, they've served their purpose.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Schooner said:

a genuine Siphon O1

What is the source of the laser-cut body? I have a set of cast resin body parts for the O1 from the Broad Gauge Society in the stash. The body is fairly straightforward - the underframe with Dean vacuum brake with external link rods, not so much. BGS do an etch for this, with a mind-boggling array of parts… 

Nick.

On 01/06/2023 at 07:01, MrWolf said:

Can we guess why it had never worked?

It just makes me sad to think of the struggle they must've had to marmalade the earth round and down, without ever stopping to ask themselves why they were having to fight one of the best bits of engineering design ever thunk of!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Schooner said:

In other areas also I found my optimism short lived

Neilson1.jpg.7388d74cb237ffe91aeb6af76dc33899.jpg

Hmmm. Maybe Tipi's chassis shrank in the wash

Neilson2.jpg.c3e926823c5c358821ab582b5c2c8fb3.jpg

...or maybe...

Wot did this box tank 3D print prove to be less than best then?  Ooooo yes it's sitting too high for a start.

The framing on that GNR ventilated van is way too thick and heavy.

The 'O' gauge Siphon looks better and I might even buy one of those myself.

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Annie said:

Wot did this box tank 3D print prove to be less than best then?  Ooooo yes it's sitting too high for a start.

The framing on that GNR ventilated van is way too thick and heavy.

The 'O' gauge Siphon looks better and I might even buy one of those myself.

Walsworth models are working on a etched box tank, although it is taking a while.

• Informative/Useful 3

On box tanks

image.png.b0eb8e2a94f3efbe7accc0e2cea1ce

(etcMany thanks @Player of trains

On plans:

The box tank print will be broken down into its component parts - I'm already nervous - so it can be reassembled to fit the Peckett chassis as I believe it can/should.

The entry/exit line will be ripped up and replaced one last time with a new length of (hopefully) unfu'd flexi. It shall fit beautifully, and it shall fit first time. I have decided.

To lend weight to this, the smaller working cassettes have been ordered from Intentio.

The Grand Re-Organise is almost complete. When done, the way is clear to finishing the open kit builds (somehow there are...five of these, with two more loitering with intent); then it'll be time to get them painted. And I want to make a start on the boats; and the 7mm layout is progressing, and there's some fun little sceneic additions for Ingleford which I hope will work nicely, and and and and...

,..and also

Woopwoop.jpg.1979db1b1b979b86a09b4a0d605aba6f.jpg

Breaking strain of a wet KitKat, me. Also changed hands for a 2 figure sum, this one is not perfect (are any?!) but is better. Running in complete and satisfactory. More to follow in the coming days...

Edited by Schooner
Sp
  • Like 13

46 minutes ago, Schooner said:

The entry/exit line will be ripped up and replaced one last time with a new length of unbattered flexi. It shall fit beautifully, and it shall fit first time. I have decided.

You might find this solution helpful for holding flex flat

https://content-eu.invisioncic.com/y320084/monthly_2023_02/IMG_1924c.jpg.dab0c0b5eaa99ba2d9587d8ef21c4561.jpg

Colin

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes - but that is over time, not a cross-section 🙂

Apologies, when posting this I did not realize that the chart was associated with the terrible news from Ukraine. (I thought it was a pun on your uneven water levels at Ingleford Wharf). 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Apologies

None needed - I took it as such and it raised a very welcome laugh yesterday. 

4mm - Ingleford Wharf

The new new track went in last night - first time - and although I have had to resort to the massive powered fishplates (for size, not for the feeds) it's passed inspection and has been ballasted with chinchilla powder. Much better all round, and I was able to both relax the S-curve without loosing the straight in the middle and sneak in a little more clearance from the dock platform. I have a sneaking suspicion this might come in handy in case some silly b*gger thinks running a rigid 8-wheeler about the place is a good idea...

Some thoughts on the Well Tank, which I stripped down to chassis:

• The wheels are bloody awful. Although this version has no pitting, the tyres are blistered (?!) and too wide for my turnout toes.
  • Despite this, it runs well. The minuscule coreless motor does an admirable job to move the extensive gear train to give smooth and controllable slow speeds.
  • I remain confident that conversion to a tender engine will suit it - the scope for extra weight and extra pickups will solve the major reported issues, and I can work on the major observed issues.
  • Trigger pulled on Project Peacock. Exciting times!

*While I've got the IPA out, I'm going to drench the turnouts to soften the ballast and then try to marmalade them back to gauge. Writing this while I decide if that's really a good idea. What could possibly...

Some thoughts on the Box Tank:

• It does require some work to fit the Peckett chassis
  • I already have a planned replacement body for a Peckett chassis
  • I've long been eyeing up the Dapol B4 (for it's oft-reported best-in-class slow running), with it's slightly larger wheelbase, wheelset and aft overhang...
  • You can see where this is going.

If any Kind Parishioner was in possession of both Hornby W4 and Dapol B4 and has the lids off at some point, I'd love to know just how different the two are. With a usable space of c.40mmx15mm inside the box tank I don't think the B4's circuit board will fit, but it'd be good to get some better references than Google images.

M&WJR Goods Liveries

Still on my mind, and still haven't come to any kind of convincing conclusion. I think I'm settling towards

Opens - grey (various) with black ironwork (and possibly framing)

Covered - largely passenger-rated*, Mansell wheel'd and in red, black trim, white canvas roofs

It is worth noting at at least two of the opens are more visually imposing than any of the covered wagons, and when sheeted will be the most consipicuous. Although I'm starting to collect a fair number of covered vehicles, there's only one 'goods van' which will be seen with any regularity. The others are all tied to specific traffic, and will be rare visitors. This should mean when looking over the wharf one sees mostly grey with a splash of red. I wouldn't mind some brown and black in the mix, but I think PO coal wagons might cover this...? Likewise a primrose yellow and Prussian blue vehicle of some sort, again just for variety's sake. Whilst I'm enjoying developing the wharf in the context of the M&W, I must remind myself that in reality it is a glorified shunting puzzle and can only be operated as such.

*Whatever that actually means in this context. Simply to try to support the Mixed Train Lore.

As we're here and it's always helpful to put thoughts into text for review:

Passenger Livery

As nearly every company played with some red or other, and with two-tone schemes, I was thinking crimson and black for older stock (the 4-wheel Director's Coupé), sort of like

r40357_2.jpeg%3Ffit=1

and crimson and white for newer (the 8-wheel 'tram' car), as per...well many pre-Grouping liveries.

Lined as best possible given available options when I reach that point! What do you reckon?

Tank locos in a fairly subdued Indian Red (as per the Neilson piano tank), tender engines in some form of green (red frames?)

I hope this will look fairly coherent, and complement the rather neutral light tones of the layout itself. Nothing too strong or vibrant, but to make the differences between stock types felt.

All feeback welcome as ever! Not there yet, but I'd like to start getting the goods stock painted up before too long and it'd be nice to have a paint schedule to work to.

PS. Totems. Also still open to suggestions here. I am settling on one, but have certainly not decided yet.

PPS. More pics when any one of a) workbench b) layout c) floor is not an utter sh*ttip... :)

• Like 9