Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2023 at 22:06, Schooner said:

*And maybe a MW(JRy) monogram...and maybe a signwriter-style alphabet and numerals sheet...anyone interested in the latter might want to make that known to @railtec-models by way of encouragement... :)

The signwriter script transfers are great - not sure I could cope with individual letters at the script size of some of the transfers below.  The ' Engineers Dept' transfers were using the custom text - 18 x same text option. Polhelyk was produced as an option to the custom GW Toad allocation transfers.  I hope these will become standard options when Steve revises his GW offerings. I'm building up to ask if I could have a 'Mr Shadrack Hawkens' as a Toad allocation in script format so I can add the guards name to the side of the toad. The script in the pictures below is greatly enlarged.

Tranies2.jpg

Edit - The carrier film for the transfer in the picture top right will disappear once a little gloss varnish is brushed over it.

Edited by Pete Haitch
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Rather brief and rushed update of a rather brief and rushed job - out with the old and in with the new:

20231110_170841.jpg.be32d59ea1d5188daf3aca0ec9fc9a2a.jpg

Look okay, but operator error in initial installation caused slight gauge narrowing at the toe of all turnouts, but particularly the furthest in the above, which each train must pass each move.

20231110_171004.jpg.3e2d12648ea12a909611a0bb70ece4eb.jpg 

Rather by accident, these happened today.

20231110_173910.jpg.72ee91a6a5703edf78fcfe65bf07c586.jpg

Then this happened (and, apparently, turned my world upside down)

20231110_222649.jpg.f80c8eebb3a16d0a8bdd2702ef9ce383.jpg

...and then this... and now, ballasted and drenched in booze and glue, they're hidden under a stack of tins as is traditional.

Why the change? The Sisters Neilson ran through just fine (interesting, given how different they are on every level) but the EFE Well Tank regularly derailed, as did Rapido's GWR wagons. Then an almost-accident happened to a sort-of-accident...

71a+d+5cLhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

...and motivation found to make swap the turnouts. Fingers X'd for the test run after the weekend!

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, Schooner said:

Why the change? The Sisters Neilson ran through just fine (interesting, given how different they are on every level) but the EFE Well Tank regularly derailed, as did Rapido's GWR wagons. Then an almost-accident happened to a sort-of-accident...

Of course it did!😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carnforth said:

Of course it did!😀

Honestly, she's such a joy to drive! A little noisy, which is unsurprising given the gearing, but gorgeous, sure-footed and strong as an ox (or twenty!). Not the cheapest way to get a loco perhaps, but I'd happily recommend it as the best value.

To those bemused, the Neilson piano tanks whose virtues I regularly extoll is the handiwork of Mr @Carnforth. He's, rightly, a busy man but I certainly don't regret getting in touch with him about a commission, and don't think you would either...

49 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Like the dead budgie, those turnouts aren't going cheap are they?

Eurgh, I don't want to talk about it 😆 They were deemed fair exchange for about 20 wagons (from ancient Hornby 'Ocean' 7 planks to absolutely mint new Rapido stock via Dapol limited editions and my now-out-of-period kit builds; 3-links or S&W fitted but original couplings included), 5 coaches, 3 buildings and an as-new Hornby 4P 2-6-4T. I felt pretty strongly that that was taking the piss, but was in no mood for an argument negotiation so accepted that at least I hadn't lost the petrol money and had turned stuff I wouldn't use into something that would improvement my enjoyment of Ingleford. That's a win, right?! But hell-fire, it's made me re-cost some of my more adventurous layout designs!

In other news, I should be able to make a little progress on the trow (we're on to deck furniture, with all materials for the rig now here too) and in a day or two the layout should be dry and we can see if all the fuss has been worth it...!

Down the wharf, a veteran of the Crimean War is seen limping across the canal bridge on his way to the village pub for a restorative half. I hope he could not imagine the horrors the subsequent century would visit on his comrades in arms.

Poppies_in_the_Sunset_on_Lake_Geneva.jpg

At the rising of the sun, and at its going down.

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Schooner said:

Foredeck fittings trial:

No guilty verdicts I trust.  Seriously what you've done looks absolutely marvellous.  Apart from loving to watch the ships under sail on the Onedin Line I know next to nothing about working for their living sailing vessels, - but something tells me you are doing good with this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 00:36, Schooner said:

Foredeck fittings trial:

20231112_001945.jpg.1d00e9fbc494d1dd6a610b68fcba788c.jpg

20231112_001935.jpg.a5ec556f587cc70bca8be79f3ffdd35a.jpg

Hmmm. Think it'll probably do once dressed in chain an' string an' ting. Stanchions in round the back, mast taking shape (square in the tabernacle to octagonal to round - the final transition likely masked by the ironwork to take the boom) blah blah blah.

All remains v much WIP, all feedback, suggestions etc most welcome :)

You don’t fancy doing a 3 masted schooner as well?

D

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Sure! Would you like it in 00, EM or P4?

Joking aside*, given how I'm feeling about this little beastie (first ship model, largely scratch, largely from anachronistic photos rather than plans) then I would definitely consider more in the future...

*Am I, though?!

...which is handy, as I've a Stroud barge to do next. Square,not smack rigged I think which saves a spar and on string. Please please can someone do a half-decent narrow butty barge kit?! Even just the ends would be such a great addition to the market.

Then it'll be on to 7mm! I've cheated by finding a completed little steam coaster - complete with motor, RC gear etc fitted - for the same price as a new kit. That simplifies the decision making process to try for a little schooner, to be gently modified from this kit*, in time.

*Even with just the rigs showing the kit is distinctively French (roller-furling topsails), which worked okay for the Channel, but doesn't sell North Devon LSWR hard enough. 

Not quite the right number of sticks, but perhaps we should pool our modelling funds and club (/haul away?) together instead:

0x0_484_12386552745a465d680e492.jpg

No modelling today - new B4 arrived.

Short story: jury's out.

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Schooner said:

Sure! Would you like it in 00, EM or P4?

S7 please.

7 hours ago, Schooner said:

the kit is distinctively French (roller-furling topsails), which worked okay for the Channel, but doesn't sell North Devon LSWR hard enough.

But perfect for Netherport on the Dorset coast, which in my counter-factual history is developing as a cross-channel route to Paris and northern France, via Cherbourg…

Anyway, that’s my daydreaming - I’m really enjoying watching your progress with this, Louis. It’s all so atmospheric.

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, magmouse said:

S7 please.

But perfect for Netherport on the Dorset coast, which in my counter-factual history is developing as a cross-channel route to Paris and northern France, via Cherbourg…

Anyway, that’s my daydreaming - I’m really enjoying watching your progress with this, Louis. It’s all so atmospheric.

Nick.

I checked; it’s a 1:47 kit - is that close enough for government work at Netherport?

D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, drduncan said:

I checked; it’s a 1:47 kit - is that close enough for government work at Netherport?

Er, false perspective?

I would hope the difference in scale wouldn't be too noticeable, especially if any real give-aways in terms of fittings, etc., were to scale. 7mm scale is tricky, as it rarely coincides with the scales used in other modelling disciplines. Mind you, 1:47 is odd in itself - why not 1:48, which is very common, being 1/4" = 1ft?

I certainly don't have @Schooner's nautical expertise, but as far as I can tell late-nineteenth/early-twentieth century workaday coastal trading ships seem to be rather overlooked by ship modellers (or at least the kit makers). It may be a case of Hobson's choice, unless one is happy to scratch build, and I'm not feeling that at the moment. In any case, my need for a ship model is contingent on Netherport as an layout becoming more than a pipe-dream - that's a way off yet.

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you had a look at Billing Boats? They do quite a lot around 1/75th scale and 1/50th scale. They aren't the easiest things to build but do make up into nice models if you stick at it.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Quickly slapped some paint on the trow:

20231125_215955.jpg.dd6fb7c4299ecd55da7fc96a0b3617a4.jpg

I think the barrel, winch, windlass and samson post will all end up white; and it'll all be lightened with weathering etc. Just to get an idea of what it looks like in colour whilst I'm away.

I was hoping to have some more fun bits in this update, but they'll have to wait till next time. To help tide us over, have a wholesome ten mins with the legendary Lee Sklar

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Plans changing faster n'a thing's wotsit, but relevant here is further evidence that

(There are, it turns out, about 17,000 songs with that title. None of them are the one I had in mind. All of them are awful. You're getting one anyway :)

20231126_232402.jpg.50590023b340bad7268470d808a8292b.jpg

Can't have a train set without a  Metcalfe something somewhere. Saw this the other day and couldn't resist!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...