Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

Some pleasing:

2.jpg.31dc896bbcac35e471a095452cbb9cca.jpg

...apart from the wagons dressed only in primer!

On which, Plan A is for these to be in grey (-s various) with black ironwork as per, for example, the Cambrian of the period. However, Victorian exterior metals largely came in two colours: black and 'Forth Bridge' red. Has anyone come across opens using this red for their metalwork? If not, why not? For buildings it seems about 50:50; for railways 100:0 black to red...?

For interest, that train is 265mm over buffers. Going small? Go early!

1.jpg.e60cb29cecf45aa7b791b63f52236a4d.jpg

The Neilson Sisters at Sunset.

Plenty more to do on the Box; plenty to enjoy about the Piano :) The Box is Tipi (TP = the Test Peckett), but the Piano is looking for a name. Suggestions invited.

No, not Joanna.

Proper replies tomo, cheers all!

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

How about Sevastopol, Balaclava or Inkerman? The 1870's are 15 years after the Crimean war, lot's of streets were named after Crimean war battles why not locos. Or name them after the VC winners of Rorke's Drift that was 1879.  

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Temperance and Prudence. 

Should go down well with the roughnecks.....

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2023 at 00:12, lezz01 said:

lot's of streets were named after Crimean war battles why not locos

Very true; a fair few ships too.

On 13/10/2023 at 07:21, NHY 581 said:

Temperance and Prudence. 

There are plans for a pair of tender locos afoot...

And thanks for the heads up @Pete Haitch, good to know they're out in the wild now! I think they make a nice touch :)

Tonight has been for knocking up Trow Two - a little smaller (summat like 68' LoA) and a little finer:

3.jpg.cb4ed0f96970808b3830aae6d9dd6b33.jpg

(Quick page to @Compound2632 re comparative size of the Bachmann warehouse, nearest the camera LHS)

1.jpg.e419a647814c2375d3c594cc97ee70af.jpg

"Master Smith!" (Source)

"Yessir?"

"Did you shovel that cowsh*t from the cattle wagon straight onto the quay?"

"Er, yes, Sir."

"And are you now shoveling that cowsh*t from the quay straight into the canal?"

" 'ssir"

"Over my bow line?"

"Sir."

"Don't".

"Sir. Sorry, Sir"

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Schooner said:

Very true; a fair few ships too.

There are plans for a pair of tender locos afoot...

And thanks for the heads up @Pete Haitch, good to know they're out in the wild now! I think they make a nice touch :)

Tonight has been for knocking up Trow Two - a little smaller (summat like 68' LoA) and a little finer:

3.jpg.cb4ed0f96970808b3830aae6d9dd6b33.jpg

(Quick page to @Compound2632 re comparative size of the Bachmann warehouse, nearest the camera LHS)

1.jpg.e419a647814c2375d3c594cc97ee70af.jpg

"Master Smith!" (Source)

"Yessir?"

"Did you shovel that cowsh*t from the cattle wagon straight onto the quay?"

"Er, yes, Sir."

"And are you now shoveling that cowsh*t from the quay straight into the canal?"

" 'ssir"

"Over my bow line?"

"Sir."

"Don't".

"Sir. Sorry, Sir"

Not being able to get the staff seems to be an age old problem.

Adrian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

IIRC, I read a post somewhere in which you were enquiring about script type GW toad allocation transfers. @railtec-models have just produced these Polhelyk and Helston ones for me (in 4mm scale). Hope this of use, Pete.

Pete - are the “G.W.R” transfers in white and yellow, as shown in your photo, also from Rail Tec? I can’t see them on their website - thanks.

Nick.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, magmouse said:

Pete - are the “G.W.R” transfers in white and yellow, as shown in your photo, also from Rail Tec? I can’t see them on their website - thanks.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Yes they are.  Steve @railtec-models sounds like he's rushed off his feet at the moment but has said that he will be updating his website with a number of GW items at some point, and these will be going 'live' then as 4mm4210 (white) and 4mm4211 (ochre). I'm just going to wait patiently and keep checking his website. It sounds as if the other GW items may include a complementary numeral set, or sets of 4 of the same wagon no.  Meanwhile, these are the first vehicles waiting to receive some of the transfers shown above.

Train in waiting.jpg

Edited by Pete Haitch
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Chaps wot pops down the Wharf and runs an Dapol B4 (4mm) (is that just @NHY 581?!), a question:

Mine arrived in this arvo's post (shh, s'a secret!); ran in nicely on the DCC Concepts rolling road for c. 45 mins forward and 30 mins backward. A quiet clicking was heard in time with the LH coupling rod passing the bottom of its rotation, but nothing untoward seen and all appeared well.

Popped it on the track, merest hint of movement (if any at all), and now the loco is dead. Totally unresponsive, no hum felt or buzz heard when power is applied, through the track or directly to the wheels.

Is there anything I should look at, or is it a straight back to supplier* job?

While we're talking B4age; does anyone know of any bodykits for the chassis? I've heard for a while it's one the very best shunting 0-4-0 chassis, but I'm drawing blanks on other 4mm bodies to use it... Odd as the wheels look a much better fit for (eg) a Neilson box tank than the Peckett W4 etc, and the B4 has a sterling reputation.

*(one of the known ones, minimal stress anticipated) 

Trow's decked, bulwarks and hold planked, and ready for hatch coamings, beams and deck furniture...the hard bit!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Schooner said:

Chaps wot pops down the Wharf and runs an Dapol B4 (4mm) (is that just @NHY 581?!), a question:

Mine arrived in this arvo's post (shh, s'a secret!); ran in nicely on the DCC Concepts rolling road for c. 45 mins forward and 30 mins backward. A quiet clicking was heard in time with the LH coupling rod passing the bottom of its rotation, but nothing untoward seen and all appeared well.

Popped it on the track, merest hint of movement (if any at all), and now the loco is dead. Totally unresponsive, no hum felt or buzz heard when power is applied, through the track or directly to the wheels.

While we're talking B4age; does anyone know of any bodykits for the chassis? I've heard for a while it's one the very best shunting 0-4-0 chassis, but I'm drawing blanks on other 4mm bodies to use it... Odd as the wheels look a much better fit for (eg) a Neilson box tank than the Peckett W4 etc, and the B4 has a sterling reputation.

Trow's decked, bulwarks and hold planked, and ready for hatch coamings, beams and deck furniture...the hard bit!

My first B4 was replaced due to the front crank pin coming loose and jamming on the crosshead. It happened quite suddenly and threw the quartering out causing further mechanical mayhem. Worth checking that area for sure.

The loco was replaced very quickly and without quibble my KMRC and the second one runs beautifully.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Schooner said:

Morning Louis, 

That's unusual. Sadly, I 'd send it back. In my experience, Dapol B4s are rarely duff. If it's nothing obvious, I'd return it and seek a replacement. Bear in mind, a new batch are due to arrive in shops pretty soon with early examples being produced. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Schooner said:

I may or may not have plans in this regard...

With a couple of issues - one, that the B4s haven't been as cheaply available as the Pecketts, so I've never had the chance to take one apart. I'm hoping the release of the new run pushes a few onto the secondhand market. And two, they are a bit bigger in wheelbase and wheel diameter, so I think there is a bit less choice of prototype out there - happy to be corrected if anyone knows better. If the motor extends into the side tanks, for example, that limits a lot of the potential prototypes for a body kit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

And two, they are a bit bigger in wheelbase and wheel diameter, so I think there is a bit less choice of prototype out there - happy to be corrected if anyone knows better. 

That's going to be the problem - as far as I know the B4 was one of the biggest 0-4-0T built - not much smaller than many 6-wheelers...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Had to post the pic and edit to bring the word box up. Weird. Anyway...

Tiny update from the layout itself - some Redutex self-adhesive, 3D textured, colour-printed polychrome, Dolby Surround Sound, sheet applied to the cassette sides, as if rail-side walling. 

Not much, or too accurate, but definitely helps blend them into the scene. As I trial I simply used the available length, a little shorter than the cassette, hence the bare ends, but I think a successful trial...?

A.jpg

I like the idea of a building where the Bachmann warehouse sits (requiring a board extension...again...😇), but simply cannot get along with the building itself. Plans in place, more soon...

Oh, while I'm here, the other update is less positive, but still useful:

B.jpg.21b77d9beb778660f8b2e1236270dd51.jpg

Having spent the past couple of months hanging half off the edge of the layout, the shed took a tumble too many! This is good in that it was only ever a glorified mock-up, and this will hasten the construction of the real thing...

Sunshine and showers!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Lunchtime Ponderings Alert:

After the B4 trials, I gave my other locos* a bit of a canter on the rolling road for a warm up and then on to the layout. To my slight surprise, the best performer for my requirements** was the Well Tank, which normally gets pretty duff press.

Is this because its coreless motor has an easier time in those initial turns as the power comes on?

If so, is it worth investigating re-motoring a Pecket*** with a coreless motor? Is this more complicated than digging out the motor dimensions, finding a matching/workable replacement and making the change? Shaft diameters are also a factor - is it essential these match, or can these be altered also?

All opinions invited :)

*Tipi, an old-style Pecket W4 chassis; Daphne, from the new batch of W4s; the B4 and the EFE Beattie Well Tank 2-4-0. I didn't bother with the 00 Works LSWR 330, as I'm resolved that she's to find a new home, and as I know she's in good nick I feel the fewer times I open the box the better!

** DC, slow-speed shunting of quite heavy and draggy wagons. Smooth start and crawl a benefit to immersion, control at low speeds essential to operation. Controller rarely turned up above '30'.

*** It'll be Tipi, dressed up as the Neilson Box Tank, as a learning experience.

**** Yes, I've been re-reading early Terry Pratchett. How can you tell?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Schooner said:

**** Yes, I've been re-reading early Terry Pratchett. How can you tell?

Because it's only right and proper, and everyone* should do so regularly?

* everyone, that is, who is capable of reading. Those who aren't should listen to it instead**

** although how the audiobooks cope with footnotes-within-footnotes, I'm not sure. Which probably means I ought to listen to them too.

*** I don't remember him ever using unlinked footnotes though?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Nick C said:

*** I don't remember him ever using unlinked footnotes though?

Not that I recall, but I can never resist reading the footnotes first, which leads to a distinct lack of context sometimes!

Bought a couple little coreless motors to have a play, and stole 5 mins for this:

1.jpg.ba95f90f1e0bade00955a1fc46de7df3.jpg

...which, don't kill me, is just very quickly done in Sharpie. It just gives me a little something to ponder as I walk past the layout; and this image gives me something to ponder whilst away for the next week or so.

I think red, not black, for all metalwork will be the way forwards. I like the tone of the spray Indian Red I've got - as per the gate below, noticebly gentler on the eye than even weathered black - but don't fancy all that masking, so will probably have to find a suitable brush-friendly option. 

2.jpg.f0a88d486d2f55f40a3beb4e9c2eb3cd.jpg

Some transfers ordered from Fox, with some more required from Railtech but I've only just sent Steve a message about knocking some horseshoe transfers for totems*. Erm...think that's it on the railway front. Bits ordered for rigging the trow too...lawks.

*And maybe a MW(JRy) monogram...and maybe a signwriter-style alphabet and numerals sheet...anyone interested in the latter might want to make that known to @railtec-models by way of encouragement... :)

• Like 13

On 02/11/2023 at 13:43, Schooner said:

If so, is it worth investigating re-motoring a Pecket*** with a coreless motor? Is this more complicated than digging out the motor dimensions, finding a matching/workable replacement and making the change? Shaft diameters are also a factor - is it essential these match, or can these be altered also?

Whether it's worth the cost of re-motoring a W4 is up to you, however, if you want to:

You'd need a 12mm diameter motor with a 1mm shaft diameter. It's quite simple to dismantle as it all just screws together, although the motor mount might need some hacking if you pick a longer motor. If the motor is relatively short and you don't use DCC, there's space for a flywheel on the other end. You could change the worm to fit a motor with a different shaft diameter, but matching worms to gears can be tricky so I'd recommend re-using the Hornby one. The Tramfabriek gear puller is very good in my experience, if a little fragile.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Whether it's worth the cost of re-motoring a W4 is up to you, however, if you want to:

You'd need a 12mm diameter motor with a 1mm shaft diameter. It's quite simple to dismantle as it all just screws together, although the motor mount might need some hacking if you pick a longer motor. If the motor is relatively short and you don't use DCC, there's space for a flywheel on the other end. You could change the worm to fit a motor with a different shaft diameter, but matching worms to gears can be tricky so I'd recommend re-using the Hornby one. The Tramfabriek gear puller is very good in my experience, if a little fragile.

One of these then.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254679376461?hash=item3b4c12e24d:g:xUAAAOSwu-Jgwxpv&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4KrMw4nKz5A5HSChvqE3Ax0iQJUYYAxZwVy80cNCjlSh7n1ATUW4y%2BdOnvub5twCfzjPnpHFzb3P03ZUkZPW3alkSNLi52ypMZz%2FIeJQ29ZcZRPwsTrR1CC0FYn320M8mOnpdRhYk0rp%2BYhPv%2BFvkQsnlyslu6l%2FjXYBPE9ghuh12u7GajZc1haZG3OhWstHvTNqRb4%2B8ZeRnns0mwo8Ch5CgeXczDGV6pJNeXKzkO%2BYlt8ul3yUue714or6GL9ir6frAmt%2FFYTkRGLyyDBlUtixep1TYcGCccARfpWX82bi|tkp%3ABk9SR6Cx8ufyYg

Regards Lez.

• Like 2