Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

50 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Bravo!

Just spent a diverting few minutes wondering what puns "rabbit" and "hole" might open up...but the answer is none that are sharable here, so will just leave the above with a round of applause :)

@sir douglas Thank you, those are great! And useful to see the chassis in plates in such detail, too.

Tune

I have a very mixed relationship with covers. No time whatsoever for those who simply play someone else's music. All the time in the world for those who present an old song anew and keep it fresh, or use it to say something different from the original artist. I think Ms. Reinhart shows pretty decent examples of the former above, and the latter below

Anyway. 

Trains.

Little ones.

With luggage vans on the end.

Like this:

DSC00199.jpg

https://mademe.co.uk/product/oo-4mm-oldbury-iow-van-ex-brake-2/

With thanks, as so often, to @Edwardian for the steer.

Happy new year lovelies, here's to having plumbed the depths and heading for the warm sunlit coral-fringed lagoons of 2024...

...and when reality lets us all down, at least we'll have our little make believe worlds :)

It may interest you learn that this luggage brake, a conversion by the IWR of the original Oldbury Brake Second, was kindly drawn up and added to the range by the manufacturer, Matt Wickham, at the request of Yours Truly. I also asked for the chassis for these Oldbury carriages to be made available seperately, which was also assented to, in order to facilitate the scratch-building of a planked luggage van, also seen operating with these Oldburys on the IWR.

The instructions/construction video for these carriages is essential viewing and there are transfers made for them.

On receipt it will strilke you how very wide the bodies are. Matt Wickham has, however, checked this against the prototype; they are every bit as wide as the models suggest. Matt, you will gather from this, is a perfect gentleman. 

The quality of the prints he produces is very smooth and crisp. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 31/12/2023 at 23:48, Asterix2012 said:

Chris will do these in 4 mm too.

Officially a little late for Ingleford (c.1875), but it would fit in rather well I reckon... :)

On 01/01/2024 at 00:49, Mikkel said:

Candidate for shot of the year 2023!

As ever, significantly too kind. It's hard to look at those pics without seeing the jobs list writing itself!

On 01/01/2024 at 09:08, RobAllen said:

Love the loading ramps

Just the spare rail buffer stop, but sets the tone and suggests something along those lines should work alright. On the list, but near the bottom for now.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

At the top of the list this afternoon is the shed. Last seen thus

4.jpg.14da36de0292fb105f820ec72e5d6d60.j

showing the first signs it wasn't entirely happy living half-off the edge of the layout.

The shed currently looks like this

1.jpg.e6cffde96f20e4b8fe8d22a16d0f9a27.jpg

or in need of total rebuilding.

So, suggestions for improvements please!

It was built off these lines

fig110.gif

Source

Although there are reasonable options both heavier

antique-photograph-of-london-bull-wharf-

and lighter

antique-photograph-of-london-docks-ivory

scaled up

workers-in-tobacco-warehouse-unpacking-b

or even composite of iron and timber

1910c-west-india-docks-2-rum-warehouse.j

which does appeal.

The other option I'd like to investigate is something along the same lines as the shed at Frome station, largely original from c.1850 IIRC (being too lazy to look it up, sorry!)

2009_at_Frome_station_-_interior.jpg

Anyway, now's the time to share your thought and have some input on the last job to be (re-done) before I can call Ingleford 'functionally complete'. Go!

PS. While I'm here: Rolling stock and motive power rationalisation complete. There are possibilities for two guises for the layout, spanning c.1855-1875, with each extreme having at least one dedicated line loco (0-4-2ST early, 0-6-0T late) and one dedicated wharf shunter (both 0-4-0Ts; both Neilsons!) and indicative stock. This means I can justify creeping my wagon roster ever-earlier to maintain some areas to develop the layout indefinitely, excuse some passenger stock on-scene (as the empty portion of mixed trains, to be reversed) and perhaps in time link it in thematically and physically to a 'proper little empire' layout of the M&WJR (likely set c.1885-1905). Matters little, but I like to keep us all up to date with current thinking!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I must say that I liked the shed, but with it being a fragile model placed in a vulnerable position it was always at risk of sudden and unexpected demolition.  The design of the roof beams/rafters is good and some of the pictures you've posted show much the same school of design, but more development in the upright supports to keep the roof where it should be is needed.

The photo with the very nice iron supports you particularly pointed out is not the only one in your collection that has iron supports holding up the roof and I think those designs would be well worth looking at.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Schooner said:
On 01/01/2024 at 01:49, Mikkel said:

Candidate for shot of the year 2023!

As ever, significantly too kind. It's hard to look at those pics without seeing the jobs list writing itself!

I think you are being too hard on yourself, I can't see anything that needs doing in that photo.

8 hours ago, Schooner said:

antique-photograph-of-london-docks-ivory

So much ivory. Can you remember if there's anymore info on that particular shot?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, that photo of the ivory warehouse is remarkable. Must have been some sort of auction going on, Hale and Sons seem to have bought  many lots. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Given it's precarious position, perhaps making the frame for the shed from soldered brass rod (or box section for the 'timber' bits) might be a wise idea? That'd give it a bit more structural strength.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dave John said:

Agreed, that photo of the ivory warehouse is remarkable. Must have been some sort of auction going on, Hale and Sons seem to have bought  many lots. 

Found the image at Getty's here, which I assume is where Louis got it from. Which led me to a further search. Have a look at these fascinating photos from a London Docks Ivory warehouse in the 1920s. 

https://mediadrumworld.com/2018/09/06/31612/

I wonder how that could be worked into a model railway scene.

Edited by Mikkel
Corrections
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

"Harry!"

"1Yes, mate?"

"I can see your house from here!"

1.jpg.4b6e6b032f4dec6b81c41cea9f7454c0.jpg

"Ere, 'arry?"

"What?!"

"Erm...didn't you say your wife was away visiting her sister, which is why you could work the Sunday shift?"

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2023 at 13:35, Edwardian said:

On receipt it will strilke you how very wide the bodies are. Matt Wickham has, however, checked this against the prototype; they are every bit as wide as the models suggest.

How wide is very wide? Or rather, to avert unnecessary responses, how wide are they?

Posted (edited)

Rather jolly day today, with some good presents from NS&I via RT Models, Mousa Models and the postie.

From the former, some useful (and rather good) little bits

2.jpg.3800c3024f8eaaec1f2122dee0b2596d.jpg

Photo doesn't do them justice - these slate loads are excellent, and more shall be ordered.

1.jpg.cefc9b5995d89db878f35654ea10b5b3.jpg

A bit Brighton, but very 1850s. Channeling these vibes...

1852-1887._Ferrocarril_de_Langreo._Locom

...of an E.B.Wilson loco in Spain, but hush. Might stay, might not.

From Mousa are some more 1870s foreigners, which deserve their own post in time.

Inspired by goings on elsewhere - is this post not glorious?! - I thought I'd get the stud out:

4.jpg.1e227117aa684202e0d316d0bb635afa.jpg

• The ST needs re-wired to go without a tender; the tank weighted and attached; detailed and weathered
  • I think I'm going to repaint Tipi black, to make a greater contrast between the MWJR's motley 1850s (or earlier) locos and the fruits of their 1870s modernisation programme.
  • The MW needs everything done, but the underlying chassis has had a little TLC and proper running in has commenced. 
  • The Neilson needs to be admired and enjoyed :)

Need to do some more modelling on the layout itself before long, so time to clear all the stock off. This was done in three trains:

7.jpg.bfd0d2858f0ba4a37c14eecb8ec86bf7.jpg8.jpg.1a92ac3df8d4bdbf5709dfff58d21387.jpg

9.jpg.4da9f076e8e3a37c08f698f0d8013744.jpg

I think once up and running the layout may give a home to 8-12 wagons at a time, exchanged in batches of 3-5. This should stop the place from getting too cluttered up, but still keep an air of industry.

The above doesn't give the same impression the 'normal' stock sets will - plenty more opens (yes yes, and another special or two) are on the way, and the plan is to have at least 5 opens per...well, anything that isn't an open. Still on the hunt for a decent early carriage truck [Ed!] and a brace of bolsters btw, if anyone has a recommendation to share.

The GNR van is quite sweet, with its little clerestory and vents, but it was bought with the sole purpose of being a simple kit to build when I was struggling to do much more. Mission accomplished, and it's almost certainly had its last appearance at the wharf. From Diagram 3D btw, same as the definitely-not-a-4W-Siphon. Not the most detailed out of the box, but fun builds, evocative and good value.

Interesting to see some of the stock alongside:

3.jpg.7abbf438fb45d987eeb2cace8f9c905e.jpg

And 1860s train at the front (largely 1850s build dates) and 1880s train behind (largey 1870s build dates). Wagons of the RCH as big again; post-Grouping positively monstrous.

Very happy to have seen the wisdom in going early with Ingleford, and had such good fortune to do so as some wonderful manufacturers and designers are coming to the fore. 

Edited by Schooner
I swear it's AutoCorrect!
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

London Road Models has 2 MR 4 wheelers, a 31' workmans/3rd and a 26' brake third. LRM also do 3 NLR 4 wheelers, a 28' 4 compartment 1st, a 28' 5 compartment all 3rd or all second and a 22'6" birdcage brake and a whole host of LNWR 24' 4 wheelers. Wizard has a few MR 4 and 6 wheelers under the 51L label and Slaters have reintroduced their MR 6 wheelers although the same carriages are under the 51L label as already mentioned. The 51L are etched brass and the slaters ones are plastic and more expensive.  

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Lez! My bad though, should've meant 'carriage truck' (or machinery wagon etc, that kind of thing) to make use of the end-loading dock.

There is a plan underway for a little light passenger stock, looking forward to getting that far...

Kitchener_Coach_at_Chatham_Dockyard.jpg

(not the above, but can't find the one decent photo of the actual prototype, and this isn't dissimilar)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dave Basford has done an etched kit for a MR Machinery wagon, it's very nice, I have one to build myself.  His forum handle is k22009 he has a price list as a pdf you can download, he has also done the little Johnson 0-4-0 ST if it's not too late for your layouts timeframe.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1