Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

Slowly slowly catchey...

20231226_202655.jpg.b24adea66f37d9c037f3e765c85b5a9a.jpg

20231226_202622.jpg.48ebbaa51b0f52c2632377eccdca3ad3.jpg

20231226_202630.jpg.02cd0c89ea1269b9e6c54502b6513a4c.jpg

20231226_202643.jpg.a5f5604454dee4c8281712f1c083dfbc.jpg

As per I've rather slacked off on the non-viewable side, but rather looking forward to seeing it tomo with the glue and paint dry and in better light.

As ever, thoughts and suggestions welcome in search of improvement :)

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Everyone else is just jealous of Tipi's load-carrying capacity!

Main inspiration pics:

EQWKLxgWAAQDx5X?format=jpg&name=large

General set up

37Megp8.png

Tool box + rope (?). 0-4-0Ts aplenty had toolboxes fitted to the tanktops, but none quite so impressive as these!

6rUSkwi.jpeg

Tools and general bits and bobs (again, ?)

Turned up to 11 as I was playing, obvs, and it can be easily wound back a little...but I do need to hide the fact that much of the top is now exposed tungsten putty!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 9

7mm

Starting to cast about for LSWR stock in 7mm in earnest, looking like a lot will be from @Marc d's store (IIRC?!) at https://pregroupingrailways.com/. Fremington - the inspiration - largely dealt in loco coal in and clay out for most of its working life IIUC, so those should get a nod. I thought I'd read of a slaughterhouse associated with the quay, so livestock, meat and refrigerated vans a-go-go...but I'm not seeing it on any of the c.1900sish maps.

However, even moreso than Ingleford, Victoria Quay will be a 'true' inglenook, and so I'd like some wagon variety...

2023-08-10-07-08-03_orig.jpg

https://www.chris-draw.com/hemispherical-water-or-tar-tank.html

...is definitely on the list :)

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

Ive got 2 photos of this, its also on my to build list, Charles Roberts' first tank wagon of 1881, it was preserved at the works until Procor took over and went to Butterley where it slowly rotted and disappeared into the undergrowth and now nobody is really sure if it even still exists

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, sir douglas said:

Ive got 2 photos of this, its also on my to build list, Charles Roberts' first tank wagon of 1881, it was preserved at the works until Procor took over and went to Butterley where it slowly rotted and disappeared into the undergrowth and now nobody is really sure if it even still exists

Was there only ever the one of this type?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

I must not go down rabbit holes. I must not go down rabbit holes. I must not go down rabbit holes. I must not go down rabbit holes...

Half a Tank of Tar.jpg

Rabbit holes are like Black holes neither of them actually suck.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

I must not go down rabbit holes. I must not go down rabbit holes. I must not go down rabbit holes. I must not go down rabbit holes...

Half a Tank of Tar.jpg

Rabbit holes are great, there's lots of them around here, so much to be distracted by.

It's a sign of a creative mind apparently...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Rabbit holes are great, there's lots of them around here, so much to be distracted by.

It's a sign of a creative mind apparently...

It feels like 1965 style modelling all over again - this hobby's equivalent of comfort food.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Pete Haitch said:

It feels like 1965 style modelling all over again - this hobby's equivalent of comfort food.

I think I should probably listen to the White Rabbit album again and maybe make some toast...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pete Haitch said:

You sure? Something sucked me in.

tanks 2.jpg

Yeh it's all just gravity. Rabbit holes are fun you can get really immersed in a subject and are learning all the time. Knowledge is power after all! Happy learning!

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/12/2023 at 15:57, Pete Haitch said:

Half a Tank of Tar.jpg

Bravo!

Just spent a diverting few minutes wondering what puns "rabbit" and "hole" might open up...but the answer is none that are sharable here, so will just leave the above with a round of applause :)

@sir douglas Thank you, those are great! And useful to see the chassis in plates in such detail, too.

On 29/12/2023 at 20:29, MrWolf said:

White Rabbit

Tune

I have a very mixed relationship with covers. No time whatsoever for those who simply play someone else's music. All the time in the world for those who present an old song anew and keep it fresh, or use it to say something different from the original artist. I think Ms. Reinhart shows pretty decent examples of the former above, and the latter below

Anyway. 

Trains.

Little ones.

With luggage vans on the end.

Like this:

DSC00199.jpg

https://mademe.co.uk/product/oo-4mm-oldbury-iow-van-ex-brake-2/

With thanks, as so often, to @Edwardian for the steer.

Happy new year lovelies, here's to having plumbed the depths and heading for the warm sunlit coral-fringed lagoons of 2024...

...and when reality lets us all down, at least we'll have our little make believe worlds :)

Edited by Schooner
PS. Why on earth is a forum asking me to prove my humanity? Damned cheek
  • Like 12