Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Amazon to stop accepting Visa Credit payments from January

woodenhead

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

you really want to think where online shopping began, it began with Argos and similar organisations elsewhere.  You browsed a catalogue (web page), you paid for the item (checkout) and the item was delivered from the warehouse to the front (delivery). 

Amazon is just Argos on Steroids

Actually it's just mail order, so it goes back to the 1860s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Why would anyone pay someone to make flapjack?

Golden syrup, margarine/butter, oats. Stir it a bit then spread it on a baking tray and cook for half an hour. Spread some chocolate on top if if you're that way inclined.

The only thing more daft than paying for flapjack is that Tesco actually sell frozen omelettes.

I don't particularly hate bricks and mortar shopping but it always seemed a waste of time. Add in parking charges and congestion and it was almost more trouble than it was worth. If it can compete with online shopping then fine. If it can't then hard luck.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Time for the Amazonians to wake up & smell the coffee before there is little, if any choice, but of course most people are far too selfish & materialistic to make any difference.

That’s a pretty nonsensical statement in my opinion, the whole point about internet shopping is the amount of choice it opens up. There’s more to it than Amazon, the whole world is your high street.

• Agree 3

55 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Pre chopped up salad, or packet mash spud comes close.

I don't buy those, but I do buy bags of pre-chopped stir fry veg. To get it any other way would cost more and result in more stuff going in the bin.

I make my own sauces though.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

I don't buy those, but I do buy bags of pre-chopped stir fry veg. To get it any other way would cost more and result in more stuff going in the bin.

I make my own sauces though.

I've been baking my own bread (okay - in a bread machine) for several years now. Tesco can sell a plain white loaf for less than it costs me but a 50/50 loaf with olive oil, flax seed and chia for the same cost is unlikely. I also make my own pizzas.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PhilH said:

That’s a pretty nonsensical statement in my opinion, the whole point about internet shopping is the amount of choice it opens up. There’s more to it than Amazon, the whole world is your high street.

I used the term "Amazonians" as a generic term for those who shop on line in the same way as I refer to environmentalists as "Greta's".

Still, I respect your choice even when the "corner shops" (which may not actually be on corners) have gone & the only way you will get something you've forgotton will be to get it delivered by an unhygenic  spotty oik on an environmentally unfriendly 2-stoke that's fine because by that time I'll be gone too.

Oh, sorry, I forgot, the huge internet sellers won't even use oiks - they will use drones - don't forget the earplugs.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, MikeB said:

ABE Books is a subsidiary of Amazon.com. Inc. since 2008

Not an unusual occurrence.

For example E-bay have over many years managed to buy up every other mainstream auction site across the globe (with the curious exception of one in New Zeeland) thus removing competition and keeping dominance of the business model even if most users are unaware.

It happens with bricks and mortar too - Those 'Harris and Hole' coffee places you see in Tesco were initially set up as an offshoot of Tesco themselves (as opposed to installing a Costa concession say) but made to look like a stand-alone small business.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

I used the term "Amazonians" as a generic term for those who shop on line in the same way as I refer to environmentalists as "Greta's".

Still, I respect your choice even when the "corner shops" (which may not actually be on corners) have gone & the only way you will get something you've forgotton will be to get it delivered by an unhygenic  spotty oik on an environmentally unfriendly 2-stoke that's fine because by that time I'll be gone too.

Oh, sorry, I forgot, the huge internet sellers won't even use oiks - they will use drones - don't forget the earplugs.

How is that tinfoil hat? Drones are going to be quieter than delivery vans. I’m all for same day delivery via drone. Sounds great!

I strongly dislike using most corner shops. They’re broadly uninviting, overpriced and don’t offer a pleasant shopping experience. I shall not mourn their demise. We have a small Sainsbury’s in the village and I don’t like that either. Aside from the ‘oh damn, we need x right now’ they offer nothing.

There are already so few independent shops left I’ll use the conglomerates that best suit my needs! Don’t pretend you’re somehow mr philanthropy because you don’t embrace online shopping. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Patronising the local shops does sound good, as long as they deliver - in the broadest sense. So buying a new fridge-freezer seemed a good idea, and they did indeed deliver and install - but then wanted £20 to reverse-hang the door, which took about 10 minutes. Undaunted, we bought a vacuum cleaner from them. A display model, it came without box - but so what? It was only after 24 hours of fruitlessly charging the battery that we realised it had been brought back as a dead loss by someone else.... The day they go belly up we may dance a jig.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2021 at 16:04, PhilH said:

That's the immediate appeal of it, and why we need to be wary of just going with whatever has immediate appeal; the more subtle long-term damage can be great. I won't blame Amazon for the death of most high streets (they were on their way out anyway, out of town shopping centres had done that), but it's all part of the same shift.

I find the idea of "cheap and plentiful" being the only concern and places little other than dormitory towns, and human interaction in ordinary, mundane tasks vanishing to be incredibly depressing.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...

Well, judging by a recent e-mail, it would appear that rumours of the imminent demise of "other" credit cards on Amazon have been "greatly exaggerated".

I'm hoping they won't try to claw back the "welcome bonus" for switching over to Visa Debit...

• RMweb Gold

Just had this email from Amazon

"The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk. 

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer."

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

What I can’t understand is that the charge changes Visa propose we’re introduced by Mastercard last year. Just big companies going head-to-head with the consumer caught in the middle as usual. 

Bob

It was to be expected, corporate brinksmanship at its most typical egregrious.

I wasn't going to change my credit card and certainly not allow a direct line into my bank account, which is what a debit card is, despite the "bribe" that Amazon offered.

Never mind, we'll just have to see how the next phase in negotiations pans out.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep I also have sat on my card not changing anything yet, what ever happens no one gets my Debit card info online....

• Agree 1

On 17/01/2022 at 11:29, MJI said:

Visa must have blinked

. . . or perhaps Amazon bottled it when they received many angry e-mails like the one I sent telling them I would not buy from them again if they went ahead with stopping Visa . . . ?