So what’s being announced this coming Saturday

two tone green

On 07/12/2021 at 13:23, 47606odin said:

Typical modifying the 37, but not actually rectifying any of the roof or bodyside mess ups. Luckily I have an MM1 shell to be built to correct the one I have, so shall not be buying another

I will be interested in seeing the MM1 built, I am aware of the Heljan issues and have quite a critical eye on class 37s; I thought long and hard before I bought my Heljan 37 and looked at the MM1 model at the time but came to the conclusion that the Heljan model with some work is OK and in Blue the issues are not that noticeable and didn't justify the price difference to the cost of fully building the MM1 version which I also think has a couple of issues, particularly at the cantrail area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

I will be interested in seeing the MM1 built, I am aware of the Heljan issues and have quite a critical eye on class 37s; I thought long and hard before I bought my Heljan 37 and looked at the MM1 model at the time but came to the conclusion that the Heljan model with some work is OK and in Blue the issues are not that noticeable and didn't justify the price difference to the cost of fully building the MM1 version which I also think has a couple of issues, particularly at the cantrail area.

I agree. The MM1 version ain't perfect either. And as 'working' locos hauling decent length trains on Heaton Lodge Junction, the kitbuilt stuff has been as useful as a chocolate fireguard. They can barely take themselves up the inclines!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 37114 said:

The other option you have is to put a MM1 bodyshell on a Heljan chassis, my dad did this as he didn't like the look of the Heljan one,also added in were various bogie and underframe details.

Email Laurie at MM1 and he'll send you the parts list and you can then see what you'll need.

Rob

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Long but disappointing list; nothing of interest to me.

Disappointed that there is no 86/2 to rectify their original model and close out the Class 86 line. Whelp, time to buy more Hornby models and mod kits,

Edited by m1a2lt

• RMweb Gold

While visiting the Heaton Lodge Junction 0 gauge layout yesterday I was delighted to find that Heljan had a stand there with lots of the new goodies on display in a big glass case.   Highlight for me were a chance to chat with Ben for the first time in nearly two years and the test shot of the body for the original condition "slim Jim" class 33.  I have to confess that the NER  railcar is so utterly delightful that I may well get one anyway, even though I have no use for it on any of my or my friends layouts.

Edited by Phatbob
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The O gauge re run of the dogfish/catfish appears to a u-turn by Heljan although a most welcome one.

I was told the cost of producing them was prohibitive, they have increased in price which was expected.

Look at the prices on a well known auction site of the VAA vans there is obviously a demand for these too Heljan.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

Look at the prices on a well known auction site of the VAA vans there is obviously a demand for these too Heljan.

In fairness it must be hard to predict demand given they couldn't give these away when they came out. I bought a load for 40 quid when Rails were trying to clear them and they were available at those prices for yonks.

Then suddenly a few people decide they are that desperate they will pay 3 times the price.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/12/2021 at 10:31, Hal Nail said:

In fairness it must be hard to predict demand given they couldn't give these away when they came out. I bought a load for 40 quid when Rails were trying to clear them and they were available at those prices for yonks.

Then suddenly a few people decide they are that desperate they will pay 3 times the price.

That's a common enough problem; it only takes two or three keen and well-resourced late-comers competing for such items to push ebay prices to fairly silly levels. They are also a bit recent for all that many people to have decided to offload them because their interests have changed.

My guess is that most of those being offered were bought he same way yours, but based on a reasoning that "I'm bound to be able to get more than that for them in a few months time"...

Whether that indicates sufficient residual demand to make it sensible for Heljan to make another batch right now, is another matter altogether. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2021 at 18:04, Clive Mortimore said:

I hope not. I want one loco where I can say I did the research, I designed the method of construction and I built it, which is not available over the internet at discount prices for all. I know this sounds selfish, and yes it is . It is not elitist, I am far from that. From my point of view it has taken a lot of the fun I use to have making something different out of the hobby because everyone has "something " different out of a box. 

Something similar happened to me just over 20 years ago. I had built a small but respectable collection of most of the key BR standard types that were seen on the S&D, from kits, only for each one, in turn, to come out as RTR!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Yes I bought a few wagons at reduced prices but that was around 4 years ago.

Since then there has been a mini explosion in O gauge modelling, many are finding locos but little stock for them to pull.

Paul

On 28/12/2021 at 15:29, birdseyecircus said:

Yes I bought a few wagons at reduced prices but that was around 4 years ago.

Since then there has been a mini explosion in O gauge modelling, many are finding locos but little stock for them to pull.

Paul

Agree Paul and a good point, there are so many  locos now with very little ready to run as you said.

Surprised the likes of Bachmann who dabbled in 7 mm brass have not dipped their toes in the water having seen the boom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Agree Paul and a good point, there are so many  locos now with very little ready to run as you said.

And it doesn't take many buying whole prototype trainloads to use up complete production runs of some of the O gauge models - certainly happened in the early days of the Lionheart wagons. 

Paul

11 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Surprised the likes of Bachmann who dabbled in 7 mm brass have not dipped their toes in the water having seen the boom.

Except the Covid boom in hobbies also applies to OO, for which they already have experience.

I think anyone wanting new stuff in 7mm should be providing suggestions to Rapido UK, who have a form on their website where you can make your suggestions and who have I think indicated that 7mm is a possibility.

And for the next several days do the survey Rapido are running to get an idea of what the UK market is (link can be found in the Rapido section).

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Did Bachmann actually make the 7mm brass locos themselves?

I thought they were just marketed under their branding to create some turnover when things were slow in OO.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't want to go down a rabbit hole we've done before but Heljan have pretty much wrapped up diesels in 7mm and Dapol/Lionheart have picked off the obvious locos and stock with broad appeal (eg BR standard stock, pannier 14xx Jinty etc). They will both be working on new products themselves as well of course.

Heljan/Hattons larger steam locos have not sold quickly (there are literally 1000s of A3/4s in stock even down at £500) so you still have to chose the right product to release.

Anyone else entering now will by default be duplicating or taking on something likely to have smaller appeal to start with. Why would they risk that when there is always demand for new versions in 4mm?

May be all sort of reasons but Accurascale haven't rushed back in despite this supposed demand for stock...

Edited by Hal Nail

I was wondering why Accurascale haven't done any more wagons in 7mm, but I think I've worked out one possible reason.

Generally they would want to re-use research and CAD from existing 4mm wagons to keep costs down. However, their 4mm wagons are either a bit more 'niche' rather than mainstream, or they would prototypically run in very long rakes. Those make them less useful prototypes for most modellers in 7mm.

Generally the wagon kit provision in 7mm is very good, and traditionally most 7mm modellers have been kit-builders. The wide range of RTR diesels has tended to encourage more into 7mm scale who perhaps want more RTR wagons.

Good to see that Heljan are re-issuing some and hopefully if they sell well it will encourage them to do more like the air-braked vans.

It will be interesting to see how well projects like the Ellis Clark Presflo sell (I have ordered some although they're only marginally suitable for my layout).

Personally I think that the increase in interest in early railways (pre-grouping and older) is a good fit to 7mm scale, as trains were typically shorter, locos smaller etc. Perhaps that's an area to look at, there are already several suitable RTR locos either straight out of the box or with a little back-dating.

I expect 7mm Chaldrons and contractors' side tippers ('MSC' type) might sell surprisingly well to those with Ixion or Minerva locos in their fleet.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

For what it’s worth we dipped our toe with the HUO and have since made some  lovely 7mm for third parties…. 

We do have some plans which 2022 will reveal. Hope that helps!

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, McC said:

For what it’s worth we dipped our toe with the HUO and have since made some  lovely 7mm for third parties…. 

We do have some plans which 2022 will reveal. Hope that helps!

It's about time you let the world know about the 14 coach APT-P in O gauge.

• Funny 5

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the class 25's with FYE's will have the latter exhaust style, 7561 carried TOPS style numbers. If it has then that saves me a lot time renumbering the TMC exclusive 25102! It's a pity Heljan haven't  gone for the alternative modified exhaust panel fitted to many cl 25's. Still it is a reasonably simply conversion. I do intend to have a go at the alternative exhaust style but that's for another thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2021 at 13:23, D400 said:

Just a note to say I emailed Heljan regarding this and this was there response: 

Fingers crossed @61661 Ben Jones is on the case! 

Regards,

Bruce 

Heljan have confirm this has been corrected to a version without headlight. :clapping_mini:

Bruce