So what’s being announced this coming Saturday

two tone green

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, russ p said:

Glad to see reruns of the 35t tank and ballast hoppers . I was hanging on for the Oxford tanks but not sure if they will ever emerge now 

I think I misread this and looks like these are actually O gauge.  Was hoping for reruns in 00

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, russ p said:

I think I misread this and looks like these are actually O gauge.  Was hoping for reruns in 00

Would have liked some more 00 B tanks but the product numbers were the give away.

As for ballast hoppers …. A red herring.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Heljan offer these wagons in strange train packs but not individually or in wagon packs .

Bit of a strange marketing policy.  I have a few class 15s but not a great fan of Heljan 

Puzzled by D6580 tbh.  Happy to be corrected here but my recollection of it in green with the (prototype) push pull fitments is that it had no buckeye/rubbing plate and the waist level mu air pipes were fed by external pipes running up from the buffer beam.  I thought it was converted to the set-up on the rest of the sub-class at the same time as it was painted blue. 

If I've got that right then it's not clear if the ends are to be re-tooled to produce the prototype arrangement but the image I've seen suggests not.  In which case it seems to me that this will be an example of slap the livery on and forget about the fact that it never carried that livery in that condition and hope no-one notices.  Tbh I thought we'd largely moved on from those days.  I totally understand why the cost of re-tooling the front might be considered uneconomic for a short lived variant but then it would be nice if they'd resisted the temptation to just do that variant anyway.  Looks like a favourite for the bargain bin to me.

Obviously none of the above applies if the front is to be correctly represented.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Good to hear the Class 14 is being sorted …. Chassis was the weak point of an otherwise good model. Hope there will be room for chip and a decent speaker please.

As its no longer a Hattons 'Exclusive' I guess it may reach a bigger market? Agree with  Phils comments, is this from Heljan or Ben ?

• RMweb Gold

Good move by Heljan to upgrade the Hymek with fan and body side etched grilles/footsteps and better representation of the roof horns, a very “Hymeky” characteristic. I will look forward to seeing images of the new model, however I cannot replace all my already large class 35 roster with new versions. Hopefully the floor level door handles will be included in the upgrade, and perhaps even losing the headboard clips for the early versions, none of which are in the advertised new models. A good model will hopefully become a great one, but also making sure the alpha numeric headcode is dimensionally accurate which was certainly not on the recent releases.

• Like 2

On 04/12/2021 at 15:02, D400 said:

A long shot but I wonder if 3371: BR General Grey 33108 could be changed to NOT have an headlight, as to the best of my knowledge Heljan have done several General Grey 33/1s with headlight but never without! 

Well you can but ask! 

Edit: Indeed my brief research suggest that 33108 never carried General Grey with a headlight, it gained Dutch in 1990 before gaining its headlight early 92.

Bruce 

Just a note to say I emailed Heljan regarding this and this was there response: 

Many thanks for the message. It’s possible that this is a mistake in the catalogue. However, we will look into it and ensure that the correct body version is used when these models go into production.

Fingers crossed @61661 Ben Jones is on the case! 

Regards,

Bruce 

• RMweb Premium

New Upgraded Hymeks....very welcome, long time since I took a ride in the cab of one in Old Oak Common shed (RIP), thanks to a very generous driver. Even went onto a turntable. Great times for a young lad.

However, EFE doing Hymeks as well, confused of North Derbyshire, or what?!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Francis deWeck said:

New Upgraded Hymeks....very welcome, long time since I took a ride in the cab of one in Old Oak Common shed (RIP), thanks to a very generous driver. Even went onto a turntable. Great times for a young lad.

However, EFE doing Hymeks as well, confused of North Derbyshire, or what?!

AIUI the one in the EFE box is the old Heljan version. 

On 04/12/2021 at 10:35, Willoughby Glen said:

1420: Train Pack - BR green D9553 with 4x BR Black ‘Dogfish’ ballast hoppers

Just noticed this in the announcement and a bit of an annoyance. I'll certainly take the Dogfish wagons but have no need for a Class 14

Edited by SteamingWales
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2021 at 11:08, Phatbob said:

Yay!  Original green Slim Jim.  That'll do nicely. (On the assumption that it has the original type exhaust and isn't just a relivery). :D

D6586 and D6591 now ordered from my local model shop (Grimy Times in Warrington).  Now the worst part, the wait!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

I thought the worst part was normally the price after that wait...

Roy

I'm hoping that Father Christmas will bring me plenty of Bank of England Gift Vouchers from generous friends and relatives to cushion that blow. :jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

To what period does the Gulf Red apply, please.

IIRC it was applied between 1962 and 1964, when it was replaced with olive green.

I don't think all that much of the engineering wagon fleet can have received it, though, as photographs are pretty thin on the ground.

John

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/12/2021 at 07:53, PaulG said:

GER/LNER J69 0-6-0T, or is that what Hornby are going to announce in January!??

Paul

Do you know something we don’t?! I’m sure it was you that said a manufacturer was working on a J69... 

If so it evidently isn’t Heljan. I await 1st January with interest... 

Edited by NXEA!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Do you know something we don’t?! I’m sure it was you that said a manufacturer was working on a J69... 

If so it evidently isn’t Heljan. I await 1st January with interest... 

The Hornby announcement has been announced to take place on the 12th....