Announcement: Bristol Model Railway Exhibition

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

No

But, as a strictly one off celebration of dear Grahame and in tribute to all the Gods of the foolish, lunatic and reckless (and I know I will come to regret this) I can offer this view of a Bristol show a few years later.

I don't know who the photographer was and don't recognise anyone in the picture either:P

Hair....I remember hair....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

No

But, as a strictly one off celebration of dear Grahame and in tribute to all the Gods of the foolish, lunatic and reckless (and I know I will come to regret this) I can offer this view of a Bristol show a few years later.

IMG_0183.jpg.9ce03c4974e8103053fcbbebc29a9f58.jpg

I don't know who the photographer was and don't recognise anyone in the picture either:P

I believe that's Noel Edmunds entering stage left. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Regards the North Devon presence at Bristol Geoff Drew was from Newquay and sadly passed away, as have nearly all of the other regular North Devon operators who were at Bristol. Most of the layouts were sold and are still in existence as far as known.  Jamaica Reach, Caddiford Water and Porth St. John are in the care of Bristol East and the last two have been shown fairly recently. They were all stored in Geoff's quite damp garage but survived that quite well.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

No

Cripes! Don't know about not Jeremy, more not Brian (May) :-)

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

18 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I remember that layout as well, wonderful stuff.

I also remember it appearing at an exhibition at The Octagon in Bath one year, does anyone remember that show and what year it was?

I also remember seeing Yatton at the Octagon, from the balcony one could look straight down on it. It did show how simplified the trackwork was. As for which year?

I remember being at the Octagon with Burnham (P4), we had arranged for an excursion to Bodmin (P4), which comprised some through coaches. At the requisite part of the timetable, the train would leave Burnham metals, and get taken downstairs to Bodmin. Unfortunately one of the coaches was Chris Longley's, which had a habit of exploding - which it did in the hands of the late John Hayes! The look on his face when he came to apologise to be told 'oh it always does that' priceless!

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I wonder what this tells us about sartorial elegance over the years?

That we go to shows with the wrong sort of models? Hairstyles have changed, clothing less so.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, devonmodeller said:

Regards the North Devon presence at Bristol Geoff Drew was from Newquay and sadly passed away, as have nearly all of the other regular North Devon operators who were at Bristol. Most of the layouts were sold and are still in existence as far as known.  Jamaica Reach, Caddiford Water and Porth St. John are in the care of Bristol East and the last two have been shown fairly recently. They were all stored in Geoff's quite damp garage but survived that quite well.

Ah! That's the fella. Caddiford Water. Another favourite. 

Thanks. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Hairstyles have changed...........

Now that would be a good feature for BRM....

Mullet of the Month...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Now that would be a good feature for BRM....

Mullet of the Month...

Looks like a perm to me, a much earlier picture in my possession (available for a fee, negative NOT available) shows straight hair!

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Tim V said:

Looks like a perm to me, a much earlier picture in my possession (available for a fee, negative NOT available) shows straight hair!

I thought I'd show some restraint for once and not refer to it as a perm as that would indicate a choice had been made. ;)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

No

There is an ongoing syndrome here. The couple in the foreground are classic. She, beautifully coiffed, smartly attired, earrings, probably some slap to enhance nature. Honouring the occasion. He, open-neck shirt, may have great taste in ladies, and model in finescale, but attention to appearance is sadly lacking. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I thought I'd show some restraint for once and not refer to it as a perm as that would indicate a choice had been made. ;)

Oh really, choice indeed, what a palaver that would have been!

And you'd end up looking like a dodgy footballer or worse still the landlord at the "Cricketers" in Esher circa 1978. You had to be there, but it was typical of so many blokes at the time - not sure what the equivalent would be these days.

As far as self's hair goes, when short it is straight, when long it goes curly, eventually very curly.

The same now except it is grey and of course there is much less of it

This explains why it varies, as being tight I get a short haircut and make it last!!

The boy Harry may have picked something up from the genes though, after rocking dreadlocks for a number of years (having hitherto looked moderately angelic) he recently had it cut and his hair has since gone very curly. Apart from the gap in the teeth he is more than a bit on the "Mungo Jerry" side of things. (Ray Dorset) 

1071798585_MungoJerry.jpg.839fb7a64d9c348613925ea1b1279e03.jpg

Edited by Not Jeremy
of missing off
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2022 at 09:03, kernowtim said:

An exhibition without any layouts, 

Would that not be a swapmeet/toy fair? Although some, like Sandown I went to in 2019 do have test tracks in operation. 

I Have attended the Ally Pally show a few times in the past and aspects of that reminded me of the old swap meets... 

As an aside Living in West Cornwall It always seems odd to me that Bristol is considered 'West County' when it is (by road) almost 200 miles North East of me! 

Quote "As an aside Living in West Cornwall It always seems odd to me that Bristol is considered 'West County' when it is (by road) almost 200 miles North East of me!"

I thought the same having been born in Cornwall and living there until I was in my early thirties. On moving to Maidenhead I realised that those who lived in the South East had a different viewpoint, in that they considered the West Country to start somewhere not too far west of Swindon and the Midlands to start somewhere not too far north of Watford.:)

2 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Quote "As an aside Living in West Cornwall It always seems odd to me that Bristol is considered 'West County' when it is (by road) almost 200 miles North East of me!"

I thought the same having been born in Cornwall and living there until I was in my early thirties. On moving to Maidenhead I realised that those who lived in the South East had a different viewpoint, in that they considered the West Country to start somewhere not too far west of Swindon and the Midlands to start somewhere not too far north of Watford.:)

I wouldn't trust people from the South East with geography. I've been asked by (supposedly intelligent) Londoners if Wiltshire is in the North. This is after having to explain that it's near Bristol, and that Bristol is near the Welsh border. That said, a large proportion of the population of the western side of the county would probably agree that they live in the West Country. It's only a few miles from Somerset, Bristol is the nearest big city, we're surrounded by farmland, and the Wurzels once sang 'you never get surprises livin' in Devizes'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, DLT said:

And London starts at Reading...

or Woking, depending on the route taken....

Mind you, I knew somebody from Weymouth who reckoned "abroad" started as soon as you got beyond Sturminster Newton.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

There is an ongoing syndrome here. The couple in the foreground are classic. She, beautifully coiffed, smartly attired, earrings, probably some slap to enhance nature. Honouring the occasion. He, open-neck shirt, may have great taste in ladies, and model in finescale, but attention to appearance is sadly lacking. 

His shirt looks as though it has been ironed.  Or maybe it was one of those "drip dry" ones?

... and at least the buttons that are done up are in the right holes

• Funny 5

9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The real Cornish describe anyone from the further side of the Tamar as foreigners.

And to those of us onboard the Atlantic Coast Express, the West Country did indeed start at Salisbury. 

To those of us on the Great Northern, we must be in the West Country - Haven't you heard of West Anglia?

• Funny 4