RMweb

Formula 1 2022

didcot

10 hours ago, SR71 said:

That graphic can't have been produced by F1, it's actually informative unlike the total **** that flash up during the race.

Sorry I'm in a grumpy mood this evening, but the total nonsense they put up, e.g. someone on fresh tyres sets a quick lap so they give a certain time to close the gap without considering degradation or the other driver responding. I think it's an arm of Amazon that does them, which explains why the products they recommend to me are so wide of the mark!

Not quite. The services use AWS (Amazon Web Services), which is the biggest supplier of cloud computing services. Amazon don't write the programs, they just supply the computers they run on.

They could probably easily move the services to Microsoft Azure or GCP (Google Cloud). I expect AWS provide sponsorship, which is why they get mentioned.

Cloud computing has benefits:

You only pay for what you use, so you don't have data centres sitting there doing little.

Servers can 'spin up' automatically when the service gets busy then 'spin down' when things go quiet...& again you only pay for what is in use.

Hardware is looked after by the cloud provider. The customer (you) does not need to worry about things like failed hard drives.
  Everyone access them across the internet, so you can use a PC, phone, tablet from wherever you are. This makes them great for things like online shops where customers can access more frequently than the owners.

• Informative/Useful 3

I don't think most people know that it's AWS where Amazon really makes it's money, I can remember back before 2012 when Marks and Spencer went to Amazon for it's online shopping experience, it was a relevation to them over what went before.

I had my first experience of some of Amazon's AI earlier this week on a missing item, it was very intuitive and resolved the problem in about 5 lines - identifying why I wanted to chat before I had typed anything, giving me pre-loaded answers to select and then re-ordering the missing items.  Ok, none of that is difficult, but making it seamless and polished is where the power comes in.

I've noticed now that Microsoft is doing similar stuff on my work emails and suggesting the opening lines for responses to emails and quite well too.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I've noticed now that Microsoft is doing similar stuff on my work emails and suggesting the opening lines for responses to emails and quite well too.

Now there's something I'd disable and do my best to remove every trace of as soon as possible!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

We are well off-topic, but the iCloud suits me. Yesterday, out and about I took some photos on my phone. By the time I got home, these were all available on my laptop with no intervention whatsoever, enabling me to edit and upload a couple to RMweb.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

@Pete the Elaner Ok. You prompted me to actually research what I'm saying. 😁

Reading on F1 website and AWS (https://aws.amazon.com/f1/)

It would seem the blame should fall on the F1 data people not those providing the tools.

Although I'd be interested to hear from either how they manage to be less/equally as accurate as Murray Walker, a hand held stop watch, and a spiral wound note book but using millions of pounds of computing power. The commentators on ch4 no longer even acknowledge the graphics, not sure about Sky?

@ReorteEvery time a new version of outlook comes out our office looses a morning putting the interface back to what it was before and a month of people missing emails because the Microsoft system does something 'intelligent' with them.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Although I'd be interested to hear from either how they manage to be less/equally as accurate as Murray Walker, a hand held stop watch, and a spiral wound note book but using millions of pounds of computing power. The commentators on ch4 no longer even acknowledge the graphics, not sure about Sky?

I wonder the same. We used to get graphics telling you how much life the tyres had left. The teams have to estimate this so it was obviously not likely to be as accurate as it appeared.

The undercut predictions seem to be inaccurate too. I can understand them trying it a few times, but once they see that they are wrong, why continue showing them?

• Agree 4

That was the most tedious, boring qualy session I've seen for a while. How many slid off & caused red flags? It lasted almost 2 hours.

There is something they can do to improve it too. I know F1 likes to think it is better than the Indy series & is too pompous to learn from it, but they penalise those who cause a red flag in qualy.

If you drop someone to the back of the session (ie, in Q3, somebody causing a red flag drops to 10th), then they will be far more careful about pushing too hard.

With less red flags, Q2 would have been on a drying track, so Sainz's spin would have prevented everyone else from going faster, but he robbed 5 drivers of the chance of doing this & he gets to start in front of them. He wasn't lucky, he benefitted from poor rules.

I felt it was wrong at Monaco last year when Leclerc binned it & stopped Verstappen from snatching pole on a good lap. I said that at the time too.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Where will Hamilton be then... 😐

With the news he's trying to buy a five a side team I'm thinking he's losing interest in this season. Given what he was able to do in a car up until 5 races ago he must be quite bored in this year's car.

• Agree 2

A wet race, such high hopes but, alas, no. Plenty of near overtakes but evidently new cars that can closely follow and DRS (when it was finally enabled) still don't result in overtakes. How many laps was Lewis under a second behind Pierre but to no avail?

A Ferrari disaster, well done Lando, George and Valteri and oh dear Lewis.

I know others will disagree but another relatively boring race IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, SR71 said:

Where will Hamilton be then... 😐

With the news he's trying to buy a five a side team I'm thinking he's losing interest in this season. Given what he was able to do in a car up until 5 races ago he must be quite bored in this year's car.

I think he'll announce his retirement from F1 Silverstone week if not before.

4 minutes ago, SR71 said:

I think he'll announce his retirement from F1 Silverstone week if not before.

From his comments after the race, I very much doubt that. It would not say much about a person who throws in the towel after a few bad results. There are a number of drivers, who at the end of last season must have thought they were just there to make up the numbers, how things change. If, and I accept it is a big "if", Mercedes sorted the problem out by Miami, I think both Red Bull and Ferrari would be worried.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I haven't been able to see/read his post race comments yet.

My thoughts are based on the lack of straight line for all Mercedes runners and the factory's lack of progress compared to the rest. He's not going to be interested in hanging around until 2025 for the next engine change. The Ferrari pogo's it's way around but they are competitive so I'm not convinced that it is tthe true route of Mercedes issues.

While Russell's advantage has been luck, after last year's fiasco, there must be a feeling for Hamilton that he's being given a sign of sorts.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

From his comments after the race, I very much doubt that. It would not say much about a person who throws in the towel after a few bad results. There are a number of drivers, who at the end of last season must have thought they were just there to make up the numbers, how things change. If, and I accept it is a big "if", Mercedes sorted the problem out by Miami, I think both Red Bull and Ferrari would be worried.

Agreed, but if the issues aren't sufficiently sorted for Hamilton to be scoring (at least) regular podium finishes by the half-way mark, I doubt we'll see him driving in 2023.

Either Russell is coping better with the problems, or the team is testing different attempted solutions on each car. It would be fascinating to know which. 

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

We have seen before cases of an established No 1 driver finding a new car is not set up to his taste, while the newer team member adapts more readily.  I think we saw it with Vettel in his last year at Red Bull. George has the 'advantage' of having driven lesser cars, requiring him to compensate for their shortcomings, for the last few years, and is better able to adapt to find a sweeter spot than Lewis right now. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

George has the 'advantage' of having driven lesser cars, requiring him to compensate for their shortcomings, for the last few years, and is better able to adapt to find a sweeter spot than Lewis right now. 

This ^

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

George has the 'advantage' of having driven lesser cars, requiring him to compensate for their shortcomings, for the last few years, and is better able to adapt to find a sweeter spot than Lewis right now. 

I was just thinking the same thing whilst reading Benson's column on the BBC and he was making excuses for Hamilton.

Hamilton has been lucky that in the main he had top machinery under him and it allowed him to wade through the field when he had to or command from the front.  Russell has spent several years gaining his reputation as Mr Saturday, driving hard and having to make the best of poor machinery.  Who'd have thought when he swapped teams that Mercedes would then give him more poor machinery (ok relatively poor compared to RB and Ferrari). 

It's a bit like Ricciardo and Norris - the expectation was Ricciardo would be sailing away in the McLaren and it was Norris who found the car sweet spot and was eaking out the best results for the team.

To be fair to Verstappen too, RB hasn't always been the fastest, he too has had to work to get to the very front and in Perez he finally has a very formidable wingman for the team too.  To think Perez was nearly out on his ar$e from F1 through no fault of his own and here he is doing amazing stuff with Red Bull.

I think Hamilton's comment about not chasing the championship was two fold - first the car needs to overcome it's difficulties, but secondly he is now also astray on points to his wingman, Mercedes cannot argue that Russell needs to concede if he is the one grinding out points positions race after race.

Edited by woodenhead
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3