RMweb

Formula 1 2022

didcot

40 minutes ago, SR71 said:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0015204

They don't have the series they did in the F1's which was better produced but that one gives you an idea. If you like Motorsport find your local track and go along. It is very hard to get across on film what it's like to be there.

You have to register to watch any BBC content now.

Simply entering Brisca in the Youtube search box will bring up many results, both professionally created and amateur.

If interested enough, the 2litre saloons are worth a look as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, great central said:

You don't have to use your real personal details, though.  Here's a handy free online service for generating and using one-off e-mail addresses for just such a purpose (it definitely works for iPlayer, I've just tried it).  There are probably others out there that work in a similar way.  If you don't want to give them your normal e-mail address as the destination for the forwarded e-mails then create and use a separate permanent e-mail address purely for that purpose.  For example, most ISPs allow you to have a number of different e-mail addresses which resolve to the same e-mail account.  If you find such a single-purpose address being abused, just delete it.

(Note to the mods: my RMWeb account is set up using my genuine e-mail address!  Well, one of them...)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, great central said:

The BBC are currently having a push to get people to register and log into iPlayer whenever viewing BBC content*.  Its all due to their wanting to datamine you and try to second-guess your media consumption habits.  I won't say that they definitely want to monetise you and your preferences, but thats what it feels like. Apart from the news and using iPlayer to view programme listings for radio and TV everything else is behind the iPlayer login wall.  And then there's Sounds...

* Currently if you go to the BBC news site for example, after a few clicks you'll get a pop up blocking screen suggesting that you log into iPlayer or set up an account.  There is a small "maybe later" option to cancel it, but the thing is designed to browbeat you into logging in. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm not being cynical enough, but I assumed that the login was so you could catch up where you left off across multiple devices. Eg start watching at home on TV, finish on your lunch break at work on your tablet or phone.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Maybe I'm not being cynical enough, but I assumed that the login was so you could catch up where you left off across multiple devices. Eg start watching at home on TV, finish on your lunch break at work on your tablet or phone.

That would mean you can do that if you want to log in, it's no reason to mean that you have to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Personally, I'm surprised the BBC hasn't made it a requirement for people to enter their TV licence number when using their website....

I have a 'paperless' licence and I would be hard put to find a number. Its possible that they check automatically from your e-mail address.

2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

But as well as that they start "curating" your viewing/listening habits so when you log in again all sorts of wayward carp gets pushed at you.  And the mimsey "sorry to see you go" when you log out really gets up my nose!

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/07/2022 at 20:55, PhilJ W said:

I have a 'paperless' licence and I would be hard put to find a number. Its possible that they check automatically from your e-mail address.

GDPR prevents them from using somebody's email address to check up on them.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

GDPR prevents them from using somebody's email address to check up on them.

That depends on the terms and conditions under which the email address was provided.

If the small print says that they may use a licence holder's email address to ensure that only licence holders can access BBC content online, then they can do that, as the licence holder has consented to it in agreeing to the terms & conditions.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

That depends on the terms and conditions under which the email address was provided.

If the small print says that they may use a licence holder's email address to ensure that only licence holders can access BBC content online, then they can do that, as the licence holder has consented to it in agreeing to the terms & conditions.

I could see lawyers rubbing their hands at the thought of getting in on that one. Just because something's in a contract doesn't make it valid (can't sign away statutary rights). Whether GDPR would be covered under that I don't know, but if it wouldn't I expect a hell of a lot of companies (particularly the likes of Google) trying on something similar.

• Like 1

I have a 'paperless' licence and I would be hard put to find a number.

I get an e-mail from TV Licensing every year to confirm that my paperless licence has been automatically renewed.  That e-mail includes a confirmation of the TV licence number.  It's worth hanging on to that e-mail because you need the licence number to log in to the TV Licensing web site, which you might need to do in order to, for example, notify them if you move house, or you change the bank account that they take the direct debit from (that latter should be covered automatically by the Current Account Switch Service if you're switching away from the account that the DD is currently taken from, but not if you just want to move that particular DD to a different account).

If you can't find your login credentials then you contact them for assistance via one of the channels listed in their FAQs.

Its possible that they check automatically from your e-mail address.

I'm pretty sure that they don't.  My BBC online account, which includes iPlayer, is registered under a different e-mail address to the one I'm registered with at TV licensing for my paperless licence, so that wouldn't work.  Equally, there could easily be multiple people at the same licensed address, all with their own BBC online accounts and thus different e-mail addresses.  Basically, it wouldn't be a very reliable way to check.  I suppose they could try to use it to check, but failing to find a match in the TV Licensing database for the e-mail address you have registered with the BBC wouldn't by any means be a definitive indication that you don't have a valid licence.

15 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Correct.  Some people seem to have rather inflated ideas about what GDPR means in terms of what can and can't be done.  The BBC's Privacy Policy - which explains what they do with the personal data you provide when you register for an account, as is required under GDPR - states:

We use your personal information to make the BBC better for you and for everyone. That includes doing things like:

• Recommending things we think you’ll enjoy, like TV and radio programmes
  • Notifying you about things you’ve told us you like, for example a new series of your favourite TV show
  • Personalising parts of the BBC to your tastes, including emails, radio, news, iPlayer and music
  • We also use it for business, regulatory and legal purposes, like:
  • Dealing with any requests you make or content you submit
  • Getting in touch if we need to tell you about something, like a change to our policies or issues with a service. Or to tell you if your BBC account hasn’t been used in a long time and to ask if you’d still like to use it
  • Identifying where you are and giving you the right version of the BBC for this area

We share some of your personal information with TV Licensing to check if you are using BBC iPlayer and to keep their database up to date.

The only personal data that they gather when you register is an e-mail address, date of birth*, post code and gender (which latter you can answer with "prefer not to say").  As noted above, cross-checking the e-mail address against the TV Licensing database doesn't provide any particularly useful data wrt whether or not you have a licence.  Only a very small proportion of residential premises have a unique postcode**, so that's not a reliable check either (about the only way it could possibly be useful would be if TV Licensing had no record of any address with that postcode having a licence).

Basically, so long as the BBC is using your personal data in the way they say, then they're compliant with GDPR.  If you think they're in breach of those terms then in the first instance you can contact their Data Protection Officer via one of the channels listed in the full version of the BBC Privacy Policy.  If you're not satisfied with their response then you can escalate the issue to the UK Information Commissioner's Office.  That's also the route to take if you wish to exercise one of more of your statutory rights under GDPR.  Bottom line is, there are several steps that a disgruntled data subject can take before needing to engage the expensive services of a legal professional.

If (perhaps as part of a "war against red tape") the UK government chooses to repeal or significantly amend the Data Protection Act 2018 (which enshrined the EU regulation in UK law, so that UK organisations would still be able to share personal data with organisations in the EU, in GDPR-compliant ways, post-Brexit under what is called an "adequacy decision") then some or all of the above may no longer apply.

Bottom line: Based on my professional knowledge of GDPR, I can't see that the BBC is doing anything which is not compliant with the regulations - and I think they're a lot more transparent than a lot of other organisations I can think of.  But anyone is free to challenge them on it if they believe otherwise.

* There is a pop-up info box on the registration form which explains: "This is so you can use the parts of the BBC that are suitable for your age. It also means we can see how people of different ages are using the BBC and check that we're making something for everyone. If you’re 18 or over, we’ll only store your year of birth, not the day and month. Find out more about why we ask for your date of birth."  And you don't have to provide your *actual* date of birth anyway.

** Some large blocks of flats do have a unique postcode, but each flat within such a block is a separate residential premises for the purposes of TV licensing.  The pop-up box on the registration form says: "This helps us give you relevant local information across the BBC. It also helps us see how people across the UK are using the BBC and check we’re making something for everyone."  And you don't have to provide your *actual* postcode anyway (although the form does check that the postcode you provide is a real one.)

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

I get an e-mail from TV Licensing every year to confirm that my paperless licence has been automatically renewed.  That e-mail includes a confirmation of the TV licence number.

I print out my email notification, thus converting it from "paperless" to "paper".  Filed away in the household accounts, its always available!

Anyhow, the French GP weekend starts today (le Weekend...).

I hope things have cooled down over there, and that track temperatures aren't problematic.

The Met Office says that it'll be 35C-36C over the weekend, so I imagine that the tarmac will have been specified for high temperatures...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/spsn59ush#?date=2022-07-22

Edited by Hroth
Details
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate that this thread is for topics related to Formula 1 during 2022 however for motor sport enthusiasts of a certain vintage I’m sure the name of Paddy Hopkirk, whilst not connected to F1, will mean something.

Regrettably Paddy’s death was announced today and details of his long connection with motor sport are here;

RIP Paddy Hopkirk

• Friendly/supportive 9

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

I print out my email notification, thus converting it from "paperless" to "paper".  Filed away in the household accounts, its always available!

Anyhow, the French GP weekend starts today (le Weekend...).

I hope things have cooled down over there, and that track temperatures aren't problematic.

The Met Office says that it'll be 35C-36C over the weekend, so I imagine that the tarmac will have been specified for high temperatures...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/spsn59ush#?date=2022-07-22

Locally, they are forecasting 33/34 degs. for Sat/Sun. But temps have been all over the place lately, so who knows?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

4 or so hours after Quali and not a post. Says it all about that circuit. I fell asleep through some of the highlights but I hope the Ferrari gets the better start.

So, stock cars...

• Like 2

On 22/07/2022 at 19:05, 4630 said:

I appreciate that this thread is for topics related to Formula 1 during 2022 however for motor sport enthusiasts of a certain vintage I’m sure the name of Paddy Hopkirk, whilst not connected to F1, will mean something.

Regrettably Paddy’s death was announced today and details of his long connection with motor sport are here;

RIP Paddy Hopkirk

Yes, fond memories of the Corgi Monte Carlo Mini with signatures of Hopkirk and Makinen on the roof!

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SR71 said:

4 or so hours after Quali and not a post. Says it all about that circuit. I fell asleep through some of the highlights but I hope the Ferrari gets the better start.

So, stock cars...

I'd seen the results of qualifying on the BBC F1 stream and thought, well, I'll give the CH4 highlights a go.

I caught the start of Q3 to see powerful F1 cars trudging around the circuit trying to avoid giving competitors a tow, and Sainz acting as a tug for Leclerc.  And it looks like the new package Mercedes have implemented has resulted in nothing much.

Not very inspiring.

I see Horner is whinging that the FIA rule changes for 2023 have been devised to benefit Mercedes, so no change there!

(I'm sure its been asked and answered before, but what the hell are the pretty striped lines around the circuit for?  Or is it just being French.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They are a high grip surface. Designed to arrest the cars before they reach a wall. Great for testing (which historically is what the circuit was mostly used for) tedious for racing. It also means they can have twelvtie million different track configurations more easily.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1