RMweb

Formula 1 2022

didcot

3 hours ago, didcot said:

Alonso to Aston Martin. Seems a backwards step or maybe where World Champions go to retire. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-fernando-alonso-signs-to-aston-martin-for-2023-on-multi-year.1i8QwJht5v7dBCWFCcrqml.html

1 hour ago, friscopete said:

Pension

An ideal way for Alonso to ease his way out of F1. An undemanding drive, an undemanding partner and no one really expects the car to be front-half of the pack competitive, although Alonso may still have a bit more drive in him than Vettel has.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

may have misheard, but when Toto was interviewed after the race, the question about LeClerc going onto the hard tyres was raised, and Toto thought they may have only had that option available?

At that point in time it was as they had to swap to the hard or the softs, the softs wouldn’t have made it to the end of the race, but I don’t understand why they needed to pit at that point, no reason too - LeClerc wasn’t having problems with the mediums so they should have just stayed out longer, it’s as if they were trying to cover off someone on n a different tyre strategy. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I may have misheard, but when Toto was interviewed after the race, the question about LeClerc going onto the hard tyres was raised, and Toto thought they may have only had that option available?

Probably true.  In a way it serves them right for throwing a dummy to get Russell to pit early on.  They then went on to mess up their strategy on that first stint - pitting straight after, when they could have taken those mediums further into the race (surely the whole point given Russell had started on softs).  As it was they were then forced into making their second stops too early - a choice between hards that were known to be uncompetitive or softs that would struggle to last the distance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

If the car is half good he will race his arse off .He is a pouty sulky  snidy little  sod but a good racer .

6 hours ago, didcot said:

Alonso to Aston Martin. Seems a backwards step or maybe where World Champions go to retire. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-fernando-alonso-signs-to-aston-martin-for-2023-on-multi-year.1i8QwJht5v7dBCWFCcrqml.html

Pension

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, StuAllen said:

At that point in time it was as they had to swap to the hard or the softs, the softs wouldn’t have made it to the end of the race, but I don’t understand why they needed to pit at that point, no reason too - LeClerc wasn’t having problems with the mediums so they should have just stayed out longer, it’s as if they were trying to cover off someone on n a different tyre strategy. 

I think they were trying to undercut Verstappen but underestimated how bad the hard tyres were.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Just a thought, I know I was watching the highlights, but when did MV get weighed when he got out of the car. Before or after he jumped into the waiting team????

I don't think he had a chance to get weighed before jumping into his team.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Stroll has more money than sense

Like a great many very rich people, he is used to buying success. Purchasing AM was good for his ego, and the F1 team the icing on his cake. He thought he'd win with Vettel, but the car just isn't there to be driven well by anyone. Now he'll try Alphonso Bonso. Perhaps next year's car will be better..... 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, didcot said:

I think he is going there as he is still a very good R&D feedback driver on what can be changed to improve things. I guess he has lost the edge on absolute top speed as he has aged but not the ability to give advice on how to get the best out of the car. You might see that as just a pension drive but taking a back of the grid car up to the middle of the pack is still value added to the team he is working for, and a realistic career extension. Wouldn’t surprise me if when he does retire he develops a racing team in some form or other of motor sport.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, john new said:

I think he is going there as he is still a very good R&D feedback driver on what can be changed to improve things. I guess he has lost the edge on absolute top speed as he has aged but not the ability to give advice on how to get the best out of the car. You might see that as just a pension drive but taking a back of the grid car up to the middle of the pack is still value added to the team he is working for, and a realistic career extension. Wouldn’t surprise me if when he does retire he develops a racing team in some form or other of motor sport.

I think most of the comments were in jest. I don't think he has lost speed. He was fast & consistent at Ferrari but as we've all conjectured, the team has a habit of throwing away their advantage. He has not had a good car since then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

An ideal way for Alonso to ease his way out of F1. An undemanding drive, an undemanding partner and no one really expects the car to be front-half of the pack competitive, although Alonso may still have a bit more drive in him than Vettel has.

Well, with the exception of Alpine, pretty much every team Alonso has driven for has built bad cars from the moment he signed for them.  At least AM have little further back to drop.

On the other hand, I now expect Alpine to win the Constructor's championship next year!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Just a thought, I know I was watching the highlights, but when did MV get weighed when he got out of the car. Before or after he jumped into the waiting team????

And actually OVER the Barrier, I said to my Wife at the time he should be disqualified for that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I don't think he had a chance to get weighed before jumping into his team.

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And actually OVER the Barrier, I said to my Wife at the time he should be disqualified for that.

The FIA:  "What is Verstappen up to?"

image.png.321f62a1a154fe47b42a1a3ee7333ae8.png

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

They all do it which makes the pa infringements a bit bizarre. Hey Ho maybe it’s just to ramp up the tension 🤣

He can probably afford a couple of DQs and still win the championship.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

He can probably afford a couple of DQs and still win the championship.....

Yup, yet he still has a paddy over the radio if anything goes a bit wobbly. At least Charles manages a bit of dignity following his frustration. There’s little doubt that they have had the best package so far but with Merc slowly gaining understanding next year could be interesting. If only Ferrari could sort their ‘culture’ out then we’d have a real spectacle on our screens. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yup, yet he still has a paddy over the radio if anything goes a bit wobbly. At least Charles manages a bit of dignity following his frustration. There’s little doubt that they have had the best package so far but with Merc slowly gaining understanding next year could be interesting. If only Ferrari could sort their ‘culture’ out then we’d have a real spectacle on our screens. 

Ferrari need to go back to " Best man for the job" and forget Nationalism. Ross Brawn = British, Jean Todt = French, etc.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Well, with the exception of Alpine, pretty much every team Alonso has driven for has built bad cars from the moment he signed for them.  At least AM have little further back to drop.

Yes from the time he had the second-string McLaren and new boy Hamilton was favoured with the faster car, his obvious ability has always been hampered by inferior cars.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yup, yet he still has a paddy over the radio if anything goes a bit wobbly. 

Although Max can be extremely quick, it's my suspicion that many of the things that go wrong aren't helped by his driving style and inability to coax the best from what will always be a compromise between performance and reliability.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5