The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Mr Bean F1 Champion for the seond time.

Meh.

Pot hunter!

Possibly only until the cost cap announcement; who knows though if (a) rumours are correct and (b) the organisers have the bottle to risk expensive litigation even if the rumours are correct?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, john new said:

Possibly only until the cost cap announcement; who knows though if (a) rumours are correct and (b) the organisers have the bottle to risk expensive litigation even if the rumours are correct?

Would make an interesting episode of drive to survive…

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I know Leclerc had a nailed on penalty hanging over him for the final chicane but how can a race finish and no one knows if Max is champion or not? Teams feverishly leafing through the rule book to see if the points awarded were full or half and it's not until the interviews have started that someone manages to work it out much to Max's surprise.

The FIA rule book really does play fast and loose with the word 'rule'.

• Agree 10

4 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Trouble with Gasley was he approached under double waved yellows which meant he should be prepared to stop and they changed to red before he arrived yet he was going as fast as he could to catch the train up. 

The tractor probably shouldn't have been there but Gasley was ignoring the flags.

According to Johnny Herbert - Gasley was in 5th gear - so getting a move on?

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1

I said to the Mrs that it was a foregone conclusion after watching quali yesterday. I didn't realised it'd need another FIA fumble with the rules to make it come to fruition. 

Ah well, back to the touring cars now I've watched the highlights.

Jo

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

I know Leclerc had a nailed on penalty hanging over him for the final chicane but how can a race finish and no one knows if Max is champion or not? Teams feverishly leafing through the rule book to see if the points awarded were full or half and it's not until the interviews have started that someone manages to work it out much to Max's surprise.

The FIA rule book really does play fast and loose with the word 'rule'.

The rules do seem to have a lot of holes & exceptions. If they actually worked, only some of these would be necessary.

Rules are often lengthy (F1 rules are) but this should be necessary to cope with as many situations as possible to close any holes.

The RD & stewards should know them thoroughly though. It is their job. They should know them well enough to make timely decisions, not drag tings on the way they do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Well that race kind of summed up the whole season so far; Max miles quicker than the rest, Ferrari make an error that costs them points and there is a hole in the rules that leaves everyone in confess to whether the championship has been decided this weekend or not. All wholly unsatisfying- but in terms of driving Max was a class apart.

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Trouble with Gasley was he approached under double waved yellows which meant he should be prepared to stop and they changed to red before he arrived yet he was going as fast as he could to catch the train up. 

The tractor probably shouldn't have been there but Gasley was ignoring the flags.

Di Resta made a similar comment during the red flag period. He claimed that drivers very momentarily back off when shown a yellow flag, which is not enough. They don't slow down anywhere near enough for double yellows either.

I agree, but I don't think the drivers are to blame. They always want to drive as fast as possible. It is their job to do so.

Unless rules can be changed in a way they can be enforced properly & fairly, this will always be the case.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, didcot said:

A bit of a harsh penalty for Charles!

I think it was fair, not harsh. He was struggling with tyres for several laps & Perez was pushing for a mistake. He made one & Perez deserved to benefit.

I feel this was similar to an incident a few years ago between Vettel & Hamilton. The difference was that Vettel was penalised for re-entering the track in an unsafe manner. While I don't dispute this, he should have had a penalty for unfairly defending his position, like Leclerc was today.

• Agree 4

14 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Well that race kind of summed up the whole season so far; Max miles quicker than the rest, Ferrari make an error that costs them points and there is a hole in the rules that leaves everyone in confess to whether the championship has been decided this weekend or not. All wholly unsatisfying- but in terms of driving Max was a class apart.

I've just looked up the rule & it was quite clear.

The confusion was caused by the huge amount of people who have learned the rules through hearsay & think they know them well, but they really don't.

This applies to fans, drivers & commentators.

I have been a snooker referee & experienced the same in that sport. Players from all levels right up to the top pros don't know the rules properly & some would actually argue with me even when I showed them the actual rule in the rule book!

Commentators are varied. Some know them better than others.

It did not seem like the stewards were hesitant with this. They had a chance to look this up during the red flag stoppage. It seems like they did so & got it right.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It did not seem like the stewards were hesitant with this. They had a chance to look this up during the red flag stoppage. It seems like they did so & got it right.

As The Lurker was referring to half/full points they may have got it right but why did it take a good few minutes to confirm Leclerc's slam dunk penalty and a good 10 minutes before Max was announced champion? And why would they be looking it up during the red flag stoppage as at that point who knew if the race would even restart? To compound the issue before the restart the FIA feed posted up how many points were to be handed out depending on % of laps completed but didn't include the actual scenario that played out. Suggests the stewards grasp of the rules was a dodgy as ever.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The video above is all I've seen off this , and then to hear Gasly say he was 9 secs below delta

so was'nt speeding is a crock of Sh1t , there were RED lights on meaning race stopped so why

did he feel the need to rush back to the start where he would still be at the back .

Also the comments about the tractor being on the track ' like in Jules accident ' , in that accident

the tractor was not actually on the track , it was on the grass recovering another car , okay on the

outside of a corner , but still under double waved yellows . Sorry to say it but Jules just did not slow

enough .

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Well I'm glad I prioritised watching the BTCC. Damp squib.

Full wets, safety car start, and remove the bizarre rule that takes away distanced based points if you have a stop/restart situation and today might have been worth watching.

Only thing I noted was Horner looking miserable on the prat purch after his driver won - just the race but not the championship at that point.

Will Honda sign a contract this weekend bringing them hence delay until tomorrow for FIA news...?

I look forward to Max not helping his team mate get 2nd in the championship for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Sidecar Racer said:

Just a thought , with all the hi-tec available now , why not just have auto triggering

of a speed limiter when the red lights go on or within a few seconds so the drivers

get some warning .

I believe shore to ship control of any form is banned from the active suspension era. The consequence of a car effectively jamming the brakes on mid 6th gear corner because the FIA or a mechanic press the wrong button doesn't bare thinking about.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I've just looked up the rule & it was quite clear.

If it was that clear and simple, then (as has been said) why did it take so long to “clarify” after the end of the race?

With so many variables in play, it’s not surprising that even those conversant with the rules could be confused as to which permutation would be applied.  When it became clear that the race would restart, and the time available, then the stewards should have known how points would be awarded - either from adherence to the rule book or having settled on a decision.  They should then have communicated their decision, so that everyone - drivers, teams, commentators - knew what they were racing for as soon as they went into the restart procedure.

The way things turned out, it smacked of another attempt to make the rules up “on the fly”, which clearly benefitted some more than others.  That it turned out to the benefit of the same team and driver as the last attempt to make up rules as you go leaves something of a sour taste.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2