Hornby 2022 Black 5 new tooling

MoonM

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

How does a diecast tender chassis help ?

we saw this with the Heljan 02, it detracts haulage.

Saves having to have a big lump of metal in the tender so there's more room for the speaker and decoder, which means you don't have to put them in the loco, which means more room for weight over the driving wheels. 

If you take the weight out of the current Black 5 tender it skitters off at the first imperfection. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I have a feeling that is the one with the lights, sound and smoke.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-stanier-5mt-black-5-4-6-0-44726-steam-generator-era-5-r30225ss

I don't think the normal version comes with fitted lamps.

Jason

The model shown is a Black 5 with 'domeless' boiler, so it's an early 1930s build variant, one of the first 225 built making it either R30224 LMS 5200 or R30226 BR 45157

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, mcowgill said:

The model shown is a Black 5 with 'domeless' boiler, so it's an early 1930s build variant, one of the first 225 built making it either R30224 LMS 5200 or R30226 BR 45157

It has a number of features of a loco as built so may be 5200, but engineering samples don't always conform to any single production item.

• Agree 4

On 28/07/2023 at 06:53, GreatWesternFan220 said:

I do hope those lamps are supplied in a detailing bag rather than being factory fitted

All of the black 5 product photos (dc and dcc) show wired LED lamps fitted, that being said, they seem easy to remove.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Als Yard said:

All of the black 5 product photos (dc and dcc) show wired LED lamps fitted, that being said, they seem easy to remove.

Lamps fully removable, if the lamp irons are in place (i.e no lamps fitted) the light won't be visible 

• RMweb Premium

There are some very nice features in this sample.  I particularly like the use of cast components for more of the motion and the front bogie.  The bogie wheels look finer than on the old model too. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Corbs said:

Can hardly wait to see the EP of the Caprotti one!

Now that will be something to see.

I've got all three BR versions including the Caprotti on pre-order and might even stretch to a fourth (LMS) for my proposed Highland line layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I've got all three BR versions including the Caprotti on pre-order and might even stretch to a fourth (LMS).

Noblesse oblige!  😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It is about the only thing I can think of which would actually lead to me buying something direct from Hornby (because that's the only way to get one!)

At the moment, I wonder (and hope!) the changes at the top of Hornby might see a change in tactics.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't resist, ordered a black 5, BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 44726 With Steam Generator - Era 5.

I own an older Hornby one, but it has some issues and wobbles. so the new one needs to pull my west coast railway MK2's over the Banavie bridge...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It is about the only thing I can think of which would actually lead to me buying something direct from Hornby (because that's the only way to get one!)

I "weakened" some time ago...😉

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure when announced the lamps were to be both posable and lit. How they are thinking of achieving that or if they are still planning to is another matter entirely.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 5 weeks later...

It does seem to be taking an inordinate amount of time to produce these. I appreciate there are many variations but these have benn years in the making. They even had an engineering prototype on the tv program and that was a good year or two ago. I hope these are worth the wait. 

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure the same designer has been doing the P2's so I suspect we'll see this development speed up now unless it's switched designers. The positive reception the P2 has received does encourage me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 29/07/2023 at 09:23, adb968008 said:

How does a diecast tender chassis help ? we saw this with the Heljan 02, it detracts haulage.

Here I am catching up with the Black 5 progress. (Had almost forgotten about it!)

I suspect that excessive weight in RTR tenders is all about a customer requirement that the ensemble can go through set track points at 100mph+ staying on the rails most of the time, in all combinations of direction on track, orientation of loco, propelling or pulling any trainload it will move.

It's usually simple enough to remove, though I suppose if weight reduction is necessary on this specimen there might be drilling and milling. At least the weight will be low down which is good. While I am about this any wiper tender pick ups are removed too, not required with live crossing points, and that's more drag eliminated. I wouldn't mind being spared this trouble if designers care to put in split axle wheelsets with collection off the pin points, with the added benefit that the tender would then be properly free rolling. But even with the worst of Hornby's 'inside bearing' dragfest on tenders nothing more than 75g is required for Doncaster eight wheelers.

Hoping for a model with the exterior refinement and traction of the B12/3. 

• 1 month later...

I had the good fortune to speak to Phil, the designer for this locomotive at GETS. The EP looks great, though none of the diecast pieces are in place yet. Lots of fine detail to please the eye. Spring / summer next year is realistic for delivery according to him. He is the same chap we saw involved in the P2 design, and is also the man who did the 2MT. A thoroughly nice chap, and very forthcoming with information. Unfortunately, the lights will be supplied in a fixed configuration, they tried all they could to allow variation,  but the issues were insurmountable given scale, tolerances etc. I believe they will be supplied in Express configuration. He also told me the full saga for the 2MT manufacturing delays (long story) but that particular manufacturer is so good that they didn't want to move away from them. The 2MT is hopefully the benchmark for top end Hornby products going forward. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

22 hours ago, simmo009 said:

Unfortunately, the lights will be supplied in a fixed configuration, they tried all they could to allow variation,  but the issues were insurmountable given scale, tolerances etc. I believe they will be supplied in Express configuration.

That’s unfortunate to hear, and something I sort of expected when the Turbomotive appeared with fixed position lamps which was supposed to have the same lighting arrangement.

I’m not sure about others, but I’d prefer no lamps fitted as standard so you can have your own lamp code without having to cut and remove the lights and fit new lamp irons, especially considering the Black 5 is a mixed traffic loco. The feature is not quite the step forward it was originally made out to be.

• Agree 16
  • Round of applause 1