Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2022 Black 5 new tooling

MoonM

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2024 at 11:47, stewartingram said:

We keep hearing Hornby have sold out because ther is none on their website.

Don't forget, most of their stock probably goes to retailers. Thing is have they in turn sold out?

Kernow are showing 'More than 10' x 5200 in their website stock and Rails are showing them as 'In stock'  - so they clearly haven't sold out.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Anyone seen the Hornby Magazine review, I don't subscribe so can't see Mike Wild's video and I don't buy many magazines nowadays

If it’s not already on YouTube,it soon will be. Most of theirs usually ends up there. As far as reviews are concerned …apart from ( eventually) Andy York’s ,I wouldn’t expect anything revelatory. George Dent’s in Model Rail wasn’t as 

“thorough “ as it should have been. I’m perhaps in a fortune position,having seen it in action on a layout ( NEC ) and on YouTube so I have reached a critical decision. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, steve45 said:

Anyone seen the Hornby Magazine review, I don't subscribe so can't see Mike Wild's video and I don't buy many magazines nowadays

Yes, and nothing unexpected.

image.png.f6a8451d9ca7b278da1eb21c5a29f058.png

Mike did say that changing the lamps would be fiddly, not easy, but not everyone would want to change them. Looks on it as a step up to have working lamps.

No problem with their kinematic coupling and better in Mike's opinion than the 4 wires. No mention of the no adjustment to the gap length.

Overall seen as a better model than the older Hornby Black 5 as more presence and better detail.

A little black tack needed even if not moving lamps as possible light bleed from the start.

image.png.ae328a83136e189bb2a5b2f283de3694.png

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Yes, and nothing unexpected.

image.png.f6a8451d9ca7b278da1eb21c5a29f058.png

Minor in the grand scheme of things but an LMS loco shouldn't have the AWS bang plate attached either.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Minor in the grand scheme of things but an LMS loco shouldn't have the AWS bang plate attached either.

Well spotted. Would that still apply if it was being modelled in preserved state?

Edit:

Just found this. LMS Livery at NYMR last month. As it had been on the Grosmont Whitby main line section the extra high powered lamp also present.

image.png.a5a506ae6d4cb77c0384cd48e4538fb7.png

Edited by zr2498
As stated
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Well spotted. Would that still apply if it was being modelled in preserved state?

Edit:

Just found this. LMS Livery at NYMR last month. As it had been on the Grosmont Whitby main line section the extra high powered lamp also present.

image.png.a5a506ae6d4cb77c0384cd48e4538fb7.png

Varies, still needed for mainliners like 5428. 5200 as modelled by Hornby not preserved tho the error in this case is Mike W’s, he’s fitted the plate from the accessory pack. Did the same on the Dublo 6231 - it’s one of those little things that irks me lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

A lot of us wouldn't know.  It's something that should be documented in the bumf that comes with the models.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

A lot of us wouldn't know.  It's something that should be documented in the bumf that comes with the models.

Manufacturers very mixed at specifying the period their model represents and the implications for the fitting of detail parts as a result. I've built up quite  library over the years but it would be relatively simple for manufacturers to share their key references for each model so the buyer could see for themselves where parts go and when they should be fitted. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

They could also be more helpful by including additional instructions as to which parts of the accessory pack should be fitted to specific models?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I guess that the attitude is "If they don't know, they won't care".

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

But then why go to the trouble and expense of supplying the additional parts in the first place?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

But then why go to the trouble and expense of supplying the additional parts in the first place?

'cause it will get a positive comment from Sam 😄

• Funny 1

46 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

'cause it will get a positive comment from Sam 😄

I doubt that would negate all the negative ones he usually gives them. There again on the Black 5 it wasn't only him

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

The accessory pack includes all the bits, irrespective of livery.

I don't think it fair to expect Hornby to provide a list of when all 800-odd locos received AWS, or other changes.

It's surely up to purchasers to find out if everything they are adding is appropriate. Always supposing they care!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Because it is cheaper to supply a standard 'extras' baggie than to produce individual 'baggies' for each variant.

CJI.

• Agree 4

Ellis Clark provides a standard detailing pack for their Black 5 but with detailed instructions as to what should be included according to variant. They also have a You Tube video which covers fitting the details and the differences between LMS and BR models.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, 90164 said:

Ellis Clark provides a standard detailing pack for their Black 5 but with detailed instructions as to what should be included according to variant. They also have a You Tube video which covers fitting the details and the differences between LMS and BR models.

Fine, but BR changes were spread over a number of years. Anybody who wants to be sure of what went on when, as well as where, will need to do a little personal digging.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, 90164 said:

There was a time, not that long ago, when researching your prototype was all part of the fascinating process of adding a loco - or whatever - to your collection.

Nowadays, a lot of people just want to open the box, fit the bits, and they get upset when someone points out an anomaly.

CJI.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Obviously, the manufacturers (with a notable exception) will have done their research, which would be the hard part of the work done. I wouldn’t have thought that it would take major effort to add it to the instructions.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I can't for the love of it remember which loco's by Hornby have the same detail packs, but different instructions (one with heating pipes, one without, maybe J15 or J50?).

But they have done it before, 

4 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

I can't for the love of it remember which loco's by Hornby have the same detail packs, but different instructions (one with heating pipes, one without, maybe J15 or J50?).

But they have done it before, 

It was the J15. Passenger or freight version. With or without Westinghouse pipes.

A good try, but let down by the generic cab fittings that included the Westinghouse details.

I think I just painted over the extra cab detail to hide it. Fitting a, not supplied, tarpaulin rail helped, an essential part to give these locos character.

That is what I find so frustrating about Hornby. They can be so good and so bad at the same time.

It will be interesting as to  what they produce when an early 1960s version appears. White lamps?

Bernard 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Fine, but BR changes were spread over a number of years. Anybody who wants to be sure of what went on when, as well as where, will need to do a little personal digging.

Once upon a time we called that all a part of "modelling"...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

16 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Which is what I did. I wanted an engine allocated to Aintree, did some internet research to find an appropriate number, managed to unearth some photos which showed the engine fitted with AWS, so those details went on, but seemingly not fitted with a speedo drive, so that didn't go on. Although Ellis Clark provide some transfers, they didn't include the right number so I ordered a set from Railtec including their 3D smokebox numbers and shedplate.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

To save having to do research just pick 45480 or 44995 between 1955 and 1965. Any combination of domes,  topfeeds and tenders you like, courtesy of the St Rollox pot pouri system of maintenance. 

Both were regular performers over 'my' route, I could easily have duplicates of both with nothing in common except their respective wheelbases. 

Which may explain Hornby's reluctance to be tied down. If you're that bothered about which of the twiddly bits to use, you'll already have the photo. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 2