The London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace

brmmarketing

• RMweb Gold

I had really been looking forward to this show, it's been so long without exhibitions.

Unfortunately SWMBO has just tested positive for the dreaded lurgi, so I won't be attending this time.:bo_mini:

Hopefully the Peterborough show will be possible later on.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Trofimow said:

Hopefully the Peterborough show will be possible later on.

I don't believe the National Festival of Railway Modelling at Peterborough is scheduled to be held going forward.

On 13/03/2022 at 12:19, AndrewC said:

Has anyone found out yet whether or not the new car parking charges will be in place. The proposed £8 per day charge for parking is/was supposed to be implemented this spring but no actual date has been stated on the Ally Pally website. 

I looked on the site and it said in the spring, but mentions a £3 payment, has anyone any knowledge if the free parking of the past is now  £3 or even gone up to £8. The website is a bit confusing

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe that’s its still free to park, as there is nothing on their website to suggest that the proposed parking charges have been officially implemented, as I would expect to see an actual commencement date.  The £3, is a suggested voluntary donation towards the parks upkeep, prior to these parking charges being brought in, but there is no obligation to pay it.

I've always gone by train as it's easier (apart from the walk up the hill - but then I do need the exercise!), so I do't know whether park was a problem or not.  My impression was that the cark park at the top looked full, also the road up the hill was so full you'd be unable to park there.

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I've always gone by train as it's easier (apart from the walk up the hill - but then I do need the exercise!), so I do't know whether park was a problem or not.  My impression was that the cark park at the top looked full, also the road up the hill was so full you'd be unable to park there.

Noting that the Great Northern Inner suburban service to Alexandra Palace is pretty dire at the moment, particularly on Sundays with a combined Welwyn Garden City/Hertford North service of only two trains an hour at 20/40 intervals. Additionally this Sunday trains are being diverted in-to Kings Cross rather than Moorgate.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

There are large car parks down the other side of the hill to the railway, hidden by trees, which is why you probably haven't seen them before. There is also a free shuttle bus from them, worth waiting for if you don't want to be worn out before you even get inside.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, jonathan452 said:

Noting that the Great Northern Inner suburban service to Alexandra Palace is pretty dire at the moment, particularly on Sundays with a combined Welwyn Garden City/Hertford North service of only two trains an hour at 20/40 intervals. Additionally this Sunday trains are being diverted in-to Kings Cross rather than Moorgate.

Some areas can only dream of two trains an hour...... Or for that matter - trains on Sundays!

:D

• Like 2

I had planned to do as I always do and ride by Thameslink into London on Saturday on my way to Ally Pally.  Sadly I have just discovered that the section between Bedford and Luton will be operated by buses.  Back to the drawing board ...

Chris

• RMweb Premium
On 14/03/2022 at 12:21, PenrithBeacon said:

TfL reckon it takes just 2mins to walk from Alexandra Palace stn to venue! Barmy!

I think I'll use W3 bus from Finsbury Park to get there. Not sure about return. 

Two minutes?  Uphill?  Are they having a laugh?  (Heart attack more likely)

I usually get whatever turns up first at Wood Green, either the W3 or the free bus.  I have never been able to fathom out where from Finsbury Park the W3 goes though.

• RMweb Premium

Anyone else had challenges ordering via the Ticket Factory link on the World of Railways website?

I’ve bought my ticket for Saturday with the “print at home” option, the card transaction went through fine but I received no ticket via email (not in junk mail either!) and now raised a query, apparently they’ll “aim to come back in 48 hours, but it may be longer at busy times”(!) 

I then downloaded The Ticket Factory app and input my login details, to which they have no detail of any previous orders! 

Thought I’d just share my Ticket Factory experience in case anyone else has had similar, fingers crossed it’ll get sorted before turning up at the show and causing a hassle on Saturday morning! I chose to pre-book to make it a smooth arrival at the show but in hindsight now just wish I’d paid on the door :lol:

Cheers,

James

10 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Two minutes?  Uphill?  Are they having a laugh?  (Heart attack more likely)

I usually get whatever turns up first at Wood Green, either the W3 or the free bus.  I have never been able to fathom out where from Finsbury Park the W3 goes though.

Before I retired a couple of years ago - I know the station area has had some rbuilding since then - the W3 departed from the bus station on the West side of the ECML, ie where the LT ticket office was.

Other (quicker) alternative is tube to Wood Green, cross the road from the exit and pick up the free bus or W3 there.

11 hours ago, chrisf said:

I had planned to do as I always do and ride by Thameslink into London on Saturday on my way to Ally Pally.  Sadly I have just discovered that the section between Bedford and Luton will be operated by buses.  Back to the drawing board ...

Chris

Chris

Look me up and say hello 

Perhaps starting from or via Milton Keynes ?

39 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Perhaps starting from or via Milton Keynes ?

Unlikely.  I may drive to Sandy and take the train from there, or drive to Luton Airport Parkway.  At a pinch I could drive all the way and have breakfast at a service area but that would not be my first choice.  One thing is certain: I WILL be at Ally Pally.  The advance ticket is too good to waste. 

Chris

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Before I retired a couple of years ago - I know the station area has had some rbuilding since then - the W3 departed from the bus station on the West side of the ECML, ie where the LT ticket office was.

Other (quicker) alternative is tube to Wood Green, cross the road from the exit and pick up the free bus or W3 there.

Or go in Morrisons first and have a breakfast.

We've got a busy Model Railway Club stand over the weekend - just inside the door right by the BRM stand.

At Noon on Saturday is the BRMA 2021 results presentation - hopefully some of the winners will be there to collect in person.

And across the weekend we've got short interviews with a number of manufactures and retailers on what's new which we'll try to stream out on social media if the wi-fi behaves. 

All subject to the vagaries of big shows, but so far we're expecting:

Simon Kohler*, Jamie Warne, Acurrascale, Dapol, Kernow,  with a few more just checking their diaries...and anyone else we can grab as the day goes by.

Tom

* yes, we'll find a nice way to ask 'the' question so lets not pile in here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tc said:

Simon Kohler*, Jamie Warne, Acurrascale, Dapol, Kernow,  with a few more just checking their diaries...and anyone else we can grab as the day goes by.

Tom

* yes, we'll find a nice way to ask 'the' question so lets not pile in here.

For those of us not in the gossip loop,  what is the question?

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I suggest you look at the Hornby threads, it's all in there. 

What you really mean is that the 'question' is inspired by the Hornby threads!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

It’s just tittle tattle.  Nothing to see there…

Shame.  I love to watch a good lynching complete with irate villagers, burning barricades and pitchforks...  Ah well, there is always the stampede of angry Scottish N Scale modellers heading over to Dapol to remind them which way around a BR Double Arrow is supposed to be to watch instead...

• Funny 1