Poll: GWR Pannier Tanks; time for a modern spec OO loco.

Poll: GWR Pannier tanks; time for a new modern 00 loco.  

186 members have voted

1. 1. What era do you model? ****Please read the notes on Pg1 before voting****

• Pre 1920's
    • 1920's Great Western on the tank sides
    • 1930's Shirtbutton era
    • WW2
    • Post War to Nationalisation in 1948
    • post Nationalisation BR(W) steam
  2. 2. How much would you pay for a new Pannier loco?

• Under £140
    • £145 to £160 (The current 94xx RRP is £145)
    • £161 to £200
  3. 3. Given the 0-60PT locos were probably the most prolific locos on the GWR, how many would you buy?

4. 4. Which loco would you like to see produced as a new R-T-R loco to modern standards in 00 ***Please read the notes on Pg1 before voting***

• 57xx the modern Collet locos, built from 1928
    • 64xx built from 1932
    • 9700 to 9710 Condensing locos
    • 1366 Outside cylinder locos built from 1934.
    • 2721 class - open cab loco built from 1897
    • 1854 class - built 1890 to 1895
    • 1901 class - built 1881 to 1897
    • 2021/2101 class - Built at Wolverhampton from 1897 with open cabs and saddle tanks.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Assuming, from what you say, you are after an earlier 'look' to an 850, then the Churchward bunker in the kit is entirely appropriate.

I got the kit specifically to do 2007. I would like to do as early a condition as I can, but obviously the features of the kit may not line up with 2007.

Now I'm not super obsessive about these things, so will still do it as 2007 even if it's wrong. I just wont be as happy about it 😄

Edited by Fair Oak Junction

• RMweb Premium

I really need to stop worrying so much. I'll get things right when I can, but end of the day my models need to make me happy.

And in this case I'll be happy with a model of 2007 in early livery even if it isn't completely accurate.

No one else is going to see it, I won't be exhibiting it. Life's too short and this is what Rule 1 was designed for 😉

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that was something I didn't even think about!

When I was on the phone ordering the kit, Colin asked if I wanted H spoke or standard. Being a novice when it comes to GWR matters I had no idea.

Thankfully I said I'll take the H spoke! Only later when studying the photos of 2007 did I realise it had H spoke wheels 😄

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Yes, that was something I didn't even think about!

When I was on the phone ordering the kit, Colin asked if I wanted H spoke or standard. Being a novice when it comes to GWR matters I had no idea.

Thankfully I said I'll take the H spoke! Only later when studying the photos of 2007 did I realise it had H spoke wheels 😄

That kit is an original M&L Premier kit from the '70s (bought new!)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I was pleasantly surprised to find that numberplates for 2007 were available as standard from Fox Transfers.

Seems very random, but I'm certainly not complaining 👍

DSC03935.JPG

Usually not random. Someone has almost certainly asked for it and they've made that one and added it to their range.

247 Developments also do that number.

http://www.247developments.co.uk/ex_gwr_cabside_&_smokebox.html#1901

So if you want specific names/numbers, ask Fox, 247 Developments, etc. they are often very open to making them.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Usually not random. Someone has almost certainly asked for it and they've made that one and added it to their range.

So if you want specific names/numbers, ask Fox, 247 Developments, etc. they are often very open to making them.

Jason

Interesting, I'll remember that. Thanks!

• RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2023 at 16:21, Fair Oak Junction said:

I really need to stop worrying so much. I'll get things right when I can, but end of the day my models need to make me happy.

And in this case I'll be happy with a model of 2007 in early livery even if it isn't completely accurate.

No one else is going to see it, I won't be exhibiting it. Life's too short and this is what Rule 1 was designed for 😉

Exactly my own modelling philosophy, get things as right a you can within your skillset (pretty limited in my case, but I'm able to do basic alterations to RTR), then get on with your life.  I prefer my stuff to be accurate, and do my best, but I'm working with a compromised gauge, and modelling a railway, colliery, and village in a real location that never had any of those things except in my alternative history, where be thy accuracy now, Jorick?  I'd prefer a lottery win, a cure for cancer and the common cold, an equable solution to the Middle East problem acceptable to all parties, and marriage to a 17-year-old nymphomaniac brewery heiress, but meanwhile, in the real world...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The Helston pic has what seems to be an E40 B-set (the original B-set), so is at least 1895. Footplate jacks seem to be very rare on 850s (not sure why). The only near-matching 850 pic I can find is a poor one of 2012 at the palatial Newham Goods in 1907 *. (Its wheels have 'non-H' Wolverhampton spokes, and it seems to have a non-standard injector pipe routing. The rods are very skinny.)

Quite the best thing about the pic is that it will please the 'red Minks' school.

2012-newham-goods-1907.jpg.bf2d5a0ebaa4fdc82b399309447f3f75.jpg

*  Edit: there is considerable and valid doubt this location is Newham Goods, so other suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Miss Prism
doubt about location
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all for the input on my picture from Helston - I was hoping it was an 850. In the various versions of Jenkin's book on the line there are mentions of 859 / 992 / 1935 / 1943 / 1973 / 1989 / 2019 but I do not know what evidence he had for that. But I would surely love to try and model the loco in that picture for earlier times on the branch. I have my name down for an Alan Gibson 850 kit and have my fingers crossed I may get one and be able to approximate it. I do not expect a RTR version any time soon however much I would love one. Meantime I am plodding slowly on with my 517 kit.

Andy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I think that 2007 along with 1925,  was one of the last two GWR saddle tanks in service which were not converted to pannier tanks. This is probably why this number is listed by both Fox and 247 Developments.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, sandra said:

I think that 2007 along with 1925,  was one of the last two GWR saddle tanks in service which were not converted to pannier tanks. This is probably why this number is listed by both Fox and 247 Developments.

It may have been mentioned earlier, but 1925 starred in the 1949 film The Chiltern Hundreds.

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/chiltern-hundreds-the/

• Agree 1

Yes. 1925 was the one that got GWR green for the film. Photo here.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1942.html

And here showing it's condition on withdrawal.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/18641897-GWR-Wolverhampton-Geo/George-Armstrong-GWR-1901-class/i-t7GC5Wt/A

Note the bunker.

Also one in earlier days, along with some photos of others.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/18641897-GWR-Wolverhampton-Geo/George-Armstrong-GWR-1901-class/i-gzT3RgX

Jason

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1