Poll: GWR Pannier Tanks; time for a modern spec OO loco.

Poll: GWR Pannier tanks; time for a new modern 00 loco.  

186 members have voted

1. 1. What era do you model? ****Please read the notes on Pg1 before voting****

• Pre 1920's
    • 1920's Great Western on the tank sides
    • 1930's Shirtbutton era
    • WW2
    • Post War to Nationalisation in 1948
    • post Nationalisation BR(W) steam
  2. 2. How much would you pay for a new Pannier loco?

• Under £140
    • £145 to £160 (The current 94xx RRP is £145)
    • £161 to £200
  3. 3. Given the 0-60PT locos were probably the most prolific locos on the GWR, how many would you buy?

4. 4. Which loco would you like to see produced as a new R-T-R loco to modern standards in 00 ***Please read the notes on Pg1 before voting***

• 57xx the modern Collet locos, built from 1928
    • 64xx built from 1932
    • 9700 to 9710 Condensing locos
    • 1366 Outside cylinder locos built from 1934.
    • 2721 class - open cab loco built from 1897
    • 1854 class - built 1890 to 1895
    • 1901 class - built 1881 to 1897
    • 2021/2101 class - Built at Wolverhampton from 1897 with open cabs and saddle tanks.

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

there are no savings to be had from a stock of mechs already to hand, and another 3,000 mechs will have to be made. 

All perfectly true, but hopefully there is a saving on the design side because you can start with a known good design of chassis with, hopefully, the bugs ironed out and all the bought in components identified.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I've seen a couple of photos of 1854 saddle tanks at Worcester on various trains, but were any actually allocated there?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/170160-poll-gwr-pannier-tanks-time-for-a-modern-spec-oo-loco/?do=findComment&comment=5197408

(that's for 1921)

also, https://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2015/06/worcester-1937-1965.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2023 at 08:41, Miss Prism said:

I understand that blue-route panniers weren't allowed into Helston, and could only work to Nancegollan?

Sorry to come late to the party on this but a bit of delving through official sources gives the following information -

The Helston Branch was shown as  being in the 'Uncoloured' category for RA on the official GWR RA map published in 1931.  

As at 1949 the relaxations were as follows  -

Yellow 45XX, 55XX, 4-4-0 Earl Class specially authorised

Blue 43Xx, 51XX Not permitted between Nancegollan and Helston.  

One GWR/WR document amended up to April 1957 still shows the branch as Uncoloured.  

Restrictions published in late 1957 are exactly the same as those published in 1949 except that the 'Earl Class' has been changed to 90XX.  

57XX, by then 'Yellow' of course, are not listed as authorised.

As at June 1963 the whole branch was shown as Blue but the only class authorised was D63XX  - which were Yellow RA (steam had of course effectively ended in most of Cornwall by then),    Either some bridgeworks had taken place OR the 1963 published classification of the route was erroneous - alas I have no amendments to that document which might clarify if it was erroneous or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sorry to come late to the party on this but a bit of delving through official sources gives the following information -

The Helston Branch was shown as  being in the 'Uncoloured' category for RA on the official GWR RA map published in 1931.  

As at 1949 the relaxations were as follows  -

Yellow 45XX, 55XX, 4-4-0 Earl Class specially authorised

Blue 43Xx, 51XX Not permitted between Nancegollan and Helston.  

One GWR/WR document amended up to April 1957 still shows the branch as Uncoloured.  

Restrictions published in late 1957 are exactly the same as those published in 1949 except that the 'Earl Class' has been changed to 90XX.  

57XX, by then 'Yellow' of course, are not listed as authorised.

As at June 1963 the whole branch was shown as Blue but the only class authorised was D63XX  - which were Yellow RA (steam had of course effectively ended in most of Cornwall by then),    Either some bridgeworks had taken place OR the 1963 published classification of the route was erroneous - alas I have no amendments to that document which might clarify if it was erroneous or not.

Thanks for this Mike - its good to know what one ought to do. So maybe running Lode Star down the line might cause the civil engineering team some worries - luckily I don't have to take their advice all the time.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2023 at 13:13, Miss Prism said:

Looks good.

A few did.

The last 850 to survive as a saddle tank was Southall's 1925 which was officially withdrawn in April 1951.  It had been retained in rder to shunt a particular location - which alas I've not been able to run to earth and which I forgot to ask about when I knew footplatemen who remembered the engine.   There was apparently  considerable difficulty in finding a suitablereplacement and eventually a 15XX was tried and found to be ideal so one was transferred to Southall.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2023 at 11:48, woodenhead said:

Nothing to suggest Bachmann won't keep producing Panniers, might even retool them - look at the class 37 for a direct Accurascale example or the Peaks and 47 for a Heljan one.  For other flavours of GWR 0-6-0 or 2-4-0 or 0-4-2 tank engines I would be looking to Rapido and Dapol who both have an interest in such models with other items of rolling stock they have in development.

I understand that Bachmann considered re-tooling their 57XX/8750 a while back but decided not to proceed for various reasons.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Well my email proved fruitful as I was able to procure a 850ST kit, so at least one was in stock last week.

How much was it vaguely? 

More of a marker for another kit that I want. I don't particularly want to bother him and then get that kit from elsewhere. Not GWR so I'll spare you all the details....

Jason

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I understand that Bachmann considered re-tooling their 57XX/8750 a while back but decided not to proceed for various reasons.

Thats interesting Mike, I wonder if that was the same time when at the Bachmann members day at the Mid-Hants I asked them about a non-top feed loco and was told "I hope so - its one of our founding locos and it would be a shame to loose it" or words to that effect.

Snooze, you loose.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

How much was it vaguely? 

More of a marker for another kit that I want. I don't particularly want to bother him and then get that kit from elsewhere. Not GWR so I'll spare you all the details....

Jason

It cost me £146 without hornblocks, would have been £157 with them. And that is with everything but motor/gearbox.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

It cost me £146 without hornblocks, would have been £157 with them. And that is with everything but motor/gearbox.

Scary but understandable the price increases. I paid £115 for my 850 pannier about three years ago. I paid £40 for my 633T back in the 1990's. Price is still on the box from Wakefield Model Centre.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Scary but understandable the price increases. I paid £115 for my 850 pannier about three years ago. I paid £40 for my 633T back in the 1990's. Price is still on the box from Wakefield Model Centre.

Mike Wiltshire

Yep, way of the world. I'm happy I got one though 👍

1 minute ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Thanks.

Not bad at all when you think how much they often go for on eBay and will have a set of wheels (and instructions!)

I'll have a think over Christmas as I've just spent quite a bit on other kits and did say no more until I've built some of the others!

Need some wheels anyway.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

While I know which loco I'm going to be building the kit as, I do have a general question. In this configuration (three panel tank, medium chimney) what is the earliest livery I could do it in?

This might help: http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1906.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks. I've had a look through that site before, my problem is lack of knowledge of when the 850s got specific tanks, or chimneys, etc.

Ideally I'd like to do it in early green with Indian red frames, but for all I know none looked like this at that time.

The details of the GWR is a bit of a mystery to me 😉

• Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

While I know which loco I'm going to be building the kit as

If you know that, you would probably have a picture, and would know the livery.

41 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I do have a general question. In this configuration (three panel tank, medium chimney) what is the earliest livery I could do it in?

Very difficult to tell when the medium chimneys came it, probably post WWI. Tall safety valve covers were still the norm then. (i.e. unlike the kit)

Post WWI livery would be unlined green, no insignia, probably polished safety valve cover, possibly (depending on date) shiny dome.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Miss Prism said:

If you know that, you would probably have a picture, and would know the livery.

Very difficult to tell when the medium chimneys came it, probably post WWI. Tall safety valve covers were still the norm then. (i.e. unlike the kit)

Post WWI livery would be unlined green, no insignia, probably polished safety valve cover, possibly (depending on date) shiny dome.

I was 99% sure it would be too late, so no pretty early GWR livery for me then 😄

I'll be doing it as 2007, the Worcester Butts Spur loco, and will base it off this picture then 🙂

WorcesterButtsSpurLoco850Class20072.jpg.392a622b692cf69f97161bd5378dce67.jpg

• Like 5