RMweb

Car door slamming!

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

We have some new neighbours who have a Skoda Yeti. When these car doors are closed, they make a bit of a din (booming thud), which other cars on the same driveway (immediately adjacent to our house) don't seem to make. They don't seem to be deliberately slamming them closed, just closing them like anyone else would.

The house has been taken over by one of the sons of a lady who has now gone into a care home, so we have actually known them for quite a while.

It all sounds very loud in our house, yet I am reluctant to speak to them, as I don't think they are doing anything deliberate.

Do some cars doors close more quietly than others?! Other cars that have parked on the same drive do not seem to make the same level of 'booming' noise when their doors are closed.

Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of some neighbours I had a few years ago. The house next door is a rental although there are rarely any problems this was a group of young men. They used to work on cars on their drive (as a somewhat rowdy group) and at one point they spilt oil half way across mine and did nothing to clear it up until I told them to. Anyway one of them always arrived back from work quite late (about eleven at night) and he'd slam his door shut. It was loud enough to wake me up if I was just drifting off to sleep.

I considered one night waiting up for him then going out for a chat. Something like:

"Hi. I've been thinking about this. And I reckon that if you worked out a bit then really put your back into it you might just be able to make enough noise to wake up all of Brackley instead of just this street."

Thankfully they were only here for six months and the current renters are a nice couple and seem happy to stay here forever. They also don't have a pet cat.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Never noticed any booming when I shut the doors on my Yeti. Just popped out and had a trial slam...

I wonder if the sound is being amplified by echoing off another house? It may be an effect from where the car is habitually parked.

Edited by Hroth
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I had a Mk 1 Cortina on which the doors shut with a very satisfying sound.

Do you not remember the VW add about door shutting? Emphasis on 'Quality'! Hmm, isn't Skoda part of VW?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I've heard they have a similar problem in the Himalayan country of Bhutan, with Yetis banging in the night.

I would never dare to be sarcastic to a Yeti!

• Funny 3

Confession time - when I had my last Rover P5B Coupe, I sometimes used to just go and look at it sat in the garage and open and close the rear doors several times because of the lovely 'kerchunk' sound they made. No neighbours were knowingly annoyed during the carrying out of this benign procedure ;).

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) doors do need more heft than other brands. I had a Fabia and for the first six months I was forever only half closing the doors as they needed more force than my previous fiesta. Coming home late at night I always felt bad because there was no way to close it quietly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, SR71 said:

VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) doors do need more heft than other brands. I had a Fabia and for the first six months I was forever only half closing the doors as they needed more force than my previous fiesta. Coming home late at night I always felt bad because there was no way to close it quietly.

Leave a window open so it offers less resistance to closing and then close the windows using the remote central locking.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

When I was a sprog, we had across the street neigbours who, according to my dad, had a car with 11 doors.  The bloke would go outside, get in the car, slam the door, remember something from inside the house, get back out of the car, slam the door, and repeat the exercise several times then his missis would turn up and start the same procedure, including putting her shopping bag in the boot.  They would then decide that it was her turn to drive, both get out, slam the doors shut, walk around, and open them and slam them shut again.  It was that paragon of style and streamlining the Austin A40, in the highly unusual (for that model) colour scheme of green with a black roof, which dad reckoned was named for its maximum speed...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Leave a window open so it offers less resistance to closing and then close the windows

My car does this automatically, presumably so you can't blow the windows out.

When the door is opened, the power window drops a bit and once the door is closed, the window slides back up.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

When the door is opened, the power window drops a bit and once the door is closed, the window slides back up.

What car is that on? Only seen that on convertibles.

39 minutes ago, Lurch said:

What car is that on?

A 1994 Nissan 350Z Coupé. The door has no window frame except for a stub at the front, so the door is like a convertible (and there is a convertible option for the vehicle, presumably with the same doors). 

When my son was in his early adolescent 'clumsy' phase he would constantly slam the door (despite my protestations). It takes very little effort to close the door and at that stage my son had trouble with self-governing his movements. Happily he grew out of it.

Tim ( @Captain Kernow ) in his post mentions sons. The habit of forcibly closing doors is one I have observed as being prevalent in pre-adolescent and adolescent males.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

When I was a sprog, we had across the street neigbours who, according to my dad, had a car with 11 doors.  The bloke would go outside, get in the car, slam the door, remember something from inside the house, get back out of the car, slam the door, and repeat the exercise several times then his missis would turn up and start the same procedure, including putting her shopping bag in the boot.  They would then decide that it was her turn to drive, both get out, slam the doors shut, walk around, and open them and slam them shut again.  It was that paragon of style and streamlining the Austin A40, in the highly unusual (for that model) colour scheme of green with a black roof, which dad reckoned was named for its maximum speed...

I had a similar experience whilst working in Nottingham once, a guy across the road must have just had an alarm fitted to his car, because every 20 minutes or so he'd come out and do something to set the alarm off, like rock the car, open a door without disabling the alarm, etc, the reset procedure involved opening and closing every door at least twice before toddling off back into his house, switching on the alarm half way down the passageway with a casual over the shoulder flick of the key fob.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nuff sed.

As was once said on Top Gear, Skoda's are bought by people who want a VW but don't want to pay VW prices!

For those unfamiliar with the Yeti

Yeti.jpg.43511ca63e99794eb70bafa850e031bb.jpg

This is a Mk1, there were a couple of minor restyles before it was replaced by the (I think) Enyaq. To be honest, I'd say they're bought by people who don't want to be tarred by the VW badge!

Edited by Hroth
Bit of an update!
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Nothing to do with noise or pressure. It’s because you have a frameless door (my coupe is the same). It’s so the glass pushes into the seal after the door is shut preventing the glass from being held off its correct position by the seal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

33 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Just be thankful it's not one of these (1:30):

A pity that British Leyland didn't aspire to this level of quality control in the 70s!  The attention to panel gapping is particularly commendable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1