Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Purple Bulleid anyone?

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

A purple rebuilt West Country will stand out from the crown and would be reminiscent of British Railways' experimental liveries in the late 1940s.  I suggest that they call it 'Royal Sovereign.'

It would seem that the name will be aimed at the Commonwealth Games being held here this year. Not sure what they would rename TV to but I guess they could always borrow one of the B1s and call it Daley Thompson?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

It should be remembered that British Railways (ok, the BTC) did try an experimental "purple" livery in the early years of Nationalisation, although it didn't appear on SR express locos.

This is merely redressing the historical imbalance.

About time too!!!  :crazy:

(Didn't see the last two posts)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

What a dull shortlist.

I definitely think they should have added "That's Why the Lady Loves..."

They could get a good sponsor for that one too.

Yours, Mike.

I've heard of a chocolate teapot, but not a chocolate kettle :)

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

Gloriana.  I know that was the name given to Elizabeth I but it was also the name given to the State Rowingboat in Brenda's last jubbly.  Given she had had to give up her beloved "Britannia" a few years before, I expect having a State Rowboat was a poor substitute.  If we name the Purple Peoplesteamer "Gloriana" it'll just seem like putting salt into the wound.

Unless there are secret plans to unveil a State Pedalo this time round

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Of the replies there were

Over 100 which were completely inappropriate

A good number which referenced Prince Philip which was understandable, however the desire was for a celebration of the Queen's ongoing life. 

So this reduced the number considerably before starting to look through them.

For the second week running we have had front page coverage by the BBC with the football the week before. There are more people who are engaging with the railway and the hope is that whilst it is a marmite subject that it will bring more people to think about visiting the railway or one of our special events. 

Its on steam test this week and I think painting will start once Hagley is finished, With the roof project it has to be done pretty quickly as shortly we have to empty the shed. 

Edited by Blandford1969
Add detail
  • Like 6

I think they should have done an unrebuilt spam can purple instead.  They're already weird enough that it wouldn't look wrong.  Not sure SVR have one resident there, though.

The Class 40 is looking a bit weathered...maybe do that in Dyno-Rod fluo orange as a contrast? ;)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

BRM posted this photo on Facebook, along with an announcement that the name has been chosen. Not announced yet, but hopefully won’t be long. I have to say it’s looking more attractive each time I see it, even though it’s a CGI image. 

2BBBD9E8-AD0C-41BE-A2D0-48C815A53176.jpeg

• Like 4

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

an announcement that the name has been chosen. Not announced yet, but hopefully won’t be long.

The name 'Elizabeth II' has been chosen.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Am I partially responsible for this decision?  I am not affiliated with the SVR or Taw Valley in any way, however a couple of years back I was at the SVR for a team building exercise.  During that day we discussed liveries with the owner of Taw Valley and at one point I said that those who own locomotives or pay for them can do what ever they want with them as it is thier toy,  I went on to affirm this by saying if they want to paint locos etc purple then that was their perogative.

If there is anybody out there who is offended by a purple Bullied or indeed any other loco in any other colour, please don't take out a contract on me, it was only meant as a light hearted comment to state my opinion, I didn't know they would take me seriously honest! :banghead::laugh:

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bodmin16 said:

Am I partially responsible for this decision?  I am not affiliated with the SVR or Taw Valley in any way, however a couple of years back I was at the SVR for a team building exercise.  During that day we discussed liveries with the owner of Taw Valley and at one point I said that those who own locomotives or pay for them can do what ever they want with them as it is thier toy,  I went on to affirm this by saying if they want to paint locos etc purple then that was their perogative.

If there is anybody out there who is offended by a purple Bullied or indeed any other loco in any other colour, please don't take out a contract on me, it was only meant as a light hearted comment to state my opinion, I didn't know they would take me seriously honest! :banghead::laugh:

You should ask for Royalties ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/03/2022 at 17:01, Robin Brasher said:

It looks like Hornby are going to produce a limited edition of Elizabeth ll locomotive in purple for the Severn Valley Railway. It will be interesting to see this as the Hornby rebuilt light Pacific has been out of production for a few years.

Seeing as how many years Hornby "rested" the Clan tooling, I wouldn't expect any issues with the Rebuilt WC/BB tooling. More to the point perhaps is what will be deferred to create an early production slot.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...