Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Purple Bulleid anyone?

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2022 at 05:00, Blandford1969 said:

Odd as the press release was embargoed till midnight last night from what was said on Teams this morning, hence putting it on this one. 

Anyway its selling well 

Come and see it in action from the 2nd of June when it is officially named. 

Wish I could, my late mum's birthday coincided with the coronation and I remember with fondness the celebrations of the days following, we all had a wonderful time. I was only six but I can't remember any nastiness or dissent around the occasion, great fillip for the people after the tribulations of the previous decade or so. I still think 46220 Coronation should have been preserved.🙂🙂

Mike

• Like 1

Interesting watching the SVR webcams, in addition to the Mauve Bullied "Elizabeth 11th" the SVR have "Lady of Legend", some other GWR tender loco (2-8-0?? They all look the same to me) and two diesels running (Class 50 and a Western) which does rather suggest that steam coal might be being rationed.

I wonder just how many of the normals, possibly disappointed there are two diesels running today, realise they are both much older than the Lady?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Interesting watching the SVR webcams, in addition to the Mauve Bullied "Elizabeth 11th" the SVR have "Lady of Legend", some other GWR tender loco (2-8-0?? They all look the same to me) and two diesels running (Class 50 and a Western) which does rather suggest that steam coal might be being rationed.

I wonder just how many of the normals, possibly disappointed there are two diesels running today, realise they are both much older than the Lady?

In answer to your question, yes coal is being rationed to make sure we have enough for Christmas. The other factor is that whilst we have ovids they need a lot more air, both primary and secondary, go better with engines with a sharper blast and clinkers very quickly. We had no problems on 43106 on Monday, but there have been problems with TV / QE2 which has a much softer blast and not really much of a blower. The only way round has been to clean at both ends. With TV it had 10 buckets of coal last night and it has steamed better today from looking on teams. 

In answer to your question, its really difficult to say. There is information on the website and big posters on every station explaining the situation. It is really difficult to say what impact it has had as everyone is tightening their belts. At least one of the diesels is Western Queen which is great. Personally class 50's don't do it for me, but there are some who really like them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A couple of years ago, chatting to the chairman of a well known line, he suggested that for many people, a train ride was such a novelty that the noisy thing on the front didn't matter so much.  I can see what he means, and it's his job to know this stuff. For enthusiasts on the lineside, steam generally trumps diesel, but for the people riding on the train and paying the bills, maybe less so. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Many thanks for the explanation re the steam coal situation.  Presumably that was why the Hawksworth black pannier the other day left on its own from Highley, but arrived at Bridgnorth with a Class 31 on the back, having taken a very long time to get there, followed swiftly by the 50!

Certainly watching today a lot of people were boarding the trains hauled by diesels, and as @Phil Parker says once on board, you don't really notice what is up front, the scenery is the same whether steam or diesel, plus the SVR does have the added advantage of pre-nationalisation stock which really does set it apart.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

Many thanks for the explanation re the steam coal situation.  Presumably that was why the Hawksworth black pannier the other day left on its own from Highley, but arrived at Bridgnorth with a Class 31 on the back, having taken a very long time to get there, followed swiftly by the 50!

Certainly watching today a lot of people were boarding the trains hauled by diesels, and as @Phil Parker says once on board, you don't really notice what is up front, the scenery is the same whether steam or diesel, plus the SVR does have the added advantage of pre-nationalisation stock which really does set it apart.

Yes 1501 stuck for steam. Talking with her driver who has over 40 years experience on Thursday he said one minute the fire was hot and then next it went cold and there was nothing they could do. They were making sure that on Thursday on 2857 they were cleaning the fire at both ends and had no problems with steam on Thursday unlike others, who did not. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2022 at 22:44, AY Mod said:

Interesting to read that it was repainted into Purple and Gold. I’d love to see where the gold is!!! 

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Interesting to read that it was repainted into Purple and Gold. I’d love to see where the gold is!!! 

I suspect that's just the writer calling on his tropes; purple collocates strongly with gold:

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,

And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;

And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,

When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.

Byron, The Destruction of Sennacherib.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

The gold is the continual publicity we are getting from it on national TV, newspapers and local press. It has got people talking and that's the point. The West Midlands is low on the list of places for people to go on holiday to so the railway is working hard to get the message out. 

When the torch is carried in a few weeks there is a new tender emblem specially for that alone. 

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I see that 34027's upcoming repaint will be into "Wartime black".

Let's hope that doesn't turn out to be prophetic...

John

We'll have drowned in the froth from the Bullied Pacific FB groups before that happens......

Think there are several elderly lynch mobs en route to Bridgnorth going by some of the reactions. 

• Funny 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Simon Lee said:

We'll have drowned in the froth from the Bullied Pacific FB groups before that happens

We'll have 3 pages grumbling about the wrong shade of black on here.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Simon Lee said:

We'll have drowned in the froth from the Bullied Pacific FB groups before that happens......

Another reason to avoid FB like the plague (not that I needed another-the sheer amount of cretinery on there has been enough to keep me away for the last 2 years.)

Edited by rodent279
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

We'll have 3 pages grumbling about the wrong shade of black on here.

To paraphrase the late great Cyril Freezer , they could paint it pink with yellow spots but it would still be a Bulleid.😉

• Like 1