Brassmasters

Camperdown

The story so far:

In early December I emailed Brassmasters asking if it was possible to purchase parts from one of their kits.  I received a swift reply along the lines of "these are the instructions from the kit, which parts do you need?".  I replied: this and that, and in addition I need the following parts, as listed on your website.  Can you quote me a price?  Since then I've heard nothing, despite a few follow up emails.  I know that Brassmasters are still in business as they posted an update on their blog on 17th January.

My question is: is anybody else having difficulties communicating with Brassmasters, or is it just me? 

I too have had a recent delay. I sent an email around a week and a half ago with one of their pdf order forms and asked if they could confirm the items were in stock before I paid, I have so far not heard back.

Im not too fussed, as yet, as it does stress its a part time business and i'm in no huge rush, but that doesn't really explain an unasnwered enquiry from December. Hopefully all is well and there is an innocent explanation.

Will update if the situation changes.

• RMweb Gold

I emailed them a quick query the other evening (probably a week or more now) and got a very fast response clarifying things. Have yet to actually finish the order mind you...

Ralf 

Thanks all.  Just me and TeakDB they're not replying to then.  I suppose I'll try again.  I've already sent essentially the same email four times from two different email addresses.  I really don't want to bombard them like some spam bot, but in the absence of another way to contact them it's hard to know what else to do.

Thanks BeRTIe.  I imagine it's just that real emails are getting lost amongst spam.  Perhaps in the "contact us" section of the web site, Brassmasters could add a note along the lines of "please add the following keyword ... to your message to bypass the spam filter".

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2022 at 16:39, Camperdown said:

BeRTIe:  Maybe coincidence, or maybe due to your prompting, but I finally heard from Brassmasters this afternoon.  Hopefully they'll shortly give me a price, as they promised.

John is not always the quickest, but is far better than one larger one who I've had an order with since last April and which told me today answering emails or telling customers when their order might be dealt with (up to 18 months still for some spare parts)  is not possible or worthwhile as they get too many emails. 

9 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

John is not always the quickest, but is far better than one larger one who I've had an order with since last April and which told me today answering emails or telling customers when their order might be dealt with (up to 18 months still for some spare parts)  is not possible or worthwhile as they get too many emails. 

I first expressed interest in the upcoming new chassis kit several years ago, when the idea was first mooted. The project was one of several under development concurrently and was hampered by the design of the RTR loco involved/time spent getting around resultant issues. Covid didn’t help. However, I wasn’t kept waiting cos I have so many other items to build/improve. A little forward planning by modellers usually removes time factors from the equation and allows small manufacturers to focus on producing their goods. I don’t hesitate to pre-order with these guys cos I know that the result will be right. I would never pre order from several large RTR manufacturers cos the errors can be large enough to make the model unrecoverable.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Hopefully it can be built without the cab shutters and the straight bunker sheet, not sure that's the correct terminology for no top rear lamp protection.

Looking at the instructions (and the labelled etch sheets), I would answer “yes” to both questions.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Going by BM's pricing for the Finney 2-6-2T, then something around £200. Odd that they have quoted suitable motors that are no longer readily available, but the HL coreless should fit the bill.

How many of the more "serious" kit builders have stocked up on the motors though?

I wish I had with the Black Beetles, but I do seem to recall quite a few people panic buying Mashima motors when the rumours they were ceasing production started.

Jason

41 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

How many of the more "serious" kit builders have stocked up on the motors though?

I wish I had with the Black Beetles, but I do seem to recall quite a few people panic buying Mashima motors when the rumours they were ceasing production started.

Jason

It has been posted here several times - by me, amongst others - that Black Beetles are still in production, and can be ordered, and efficiently delivered, from the manufacturers in Australia.

It is my understanding that the manufacturers laid in a large stock of Mashima motors before production ceased.

CJI.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Latest update from Brassmasters:

https://www.brassmasters.co.uk/accessories.htm

They have withdrawn their supply of etched and cast whitemetal/brass detailing parts, along with coupling rods. Pick up what you can from exhibitions. Bit of a blow for overseas customers. Found it a handy range of detail components with many uses.  Any suggestions as to where to pick up items like this now? 

Re-introduction of the Austerity / J94 looks to be on the cards and is welcomed.  

James 

Edited by Down_Under
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Argh! Yes that is bad news for overseas customers. And I don't think anyone else (with mail order) stocks their items?

4 hours ago, Down_Under said:

Re-introduction of the Austerity / J94 looks to be on the cards is welcomed.  

It will be interesting to see if the resin boiler/tank portion is up for replacement with an etched offering. The weakest part of the kit IMO.

Paul A. 

4 hours ago, Down_Under said:

Latest update from Brassmasters:

https://www.brassmasters.co.uk/accessories.htm

They have withdrawn their supply of etched and cast whitemetal/brass detailing parts, along with coupling rods. Pick up what you can from exhibitions. Bit of a blow for overseas customers. Found it a handy range of detail components with many uses.  Any suggestions as to where to pick up items like this now? 

Re-introduction of the Austerity / J94 looks to be on the cards is welcomed.  

James 

Oh dear - that would seem to be indicative of another valued supplier in the process of withdrawing from the market.

CJI.

• Agree 1