Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that IP67...?

I'd like to see one or more mid-80s versions of a 31/4, plain blue with plated over headcodes, suitable for Cardiff/Bristol - Pompey services when a 33/0 isn't available. Oh, while I'm on... how about a 33/0...? 😉

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

23841457_WhatsAppImage2022-10-03at5_47_30PM.jpeg.3bdd6ddcc715ecb34f01a86c33a9ac2a.jpeg

Everyones focussing on the background and not the subject….

A very nice looking 31, am I seeing a bit of engine room detail through that centre window ? I’m liking the look of the width of the front, the last Hornby offering looked to me a bit slim… 

1P66 .. Interesting choice…

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Everyones focussing on the background and not the subject….

A very nice looking 31, am I seeing a bit of engine room detail through that centre window ? I’m liking the look of the width of the front, the last Hornby offering looked to me a bit slim… 

1P66 .. Interesting choice…

There is certainly some engine room detail on these!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to these, I used to like the 31's. Here's a pair on the old Hull - Carlisle service over the S&C. In my youth this was always a good one to bash as it was diagrammed double headed 31's for a long time.

31 3.png

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

First impression is the sample looks bob on and captures the character well. If only I could be saying similar nice things in a certain Class 45 thread, but that’s another matter! 

I look forward to seeing the one with the fugly toughened driver’s windscreen, and the rest. I have it on order with 2 others - blue with white stripe and original Railfreight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'm looking forward to these, I used to like the 31's. Here's a pair on the old Hull - Carlisle service over the S&C. In my youth this was always a good one to bash as it was diagrammed double headed 31's for a long time.

31 3.png

Any idea what year the Hull-Carlisle service had double head Class 31 haulage? I have vague memories of catching this train from Leeds to Carlisle in the early eighties when I was a wee lad but lost my spotting books.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Magna Junction said:

Any idea what year the Hull-Carlisle service had double head Class 31 haulage? I have vague memories of catching this train from Leeds to Carlisle in the early eighties when I was a wee lad but lost my spotting books.

Going back a few years but it was mid 80's, it was a morning departure from Hull, the left Carlisle late afternoon. You could take the Hull to Appleby and get the northbound afternoon departure from Leeds back into Carlisle if something interesting was working. At the time that other service was often D200.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning @Accurascale FranI understand the rationale of not offering the Class 31 sound project with the Mirlees engined variant but I wonder if you might reconsider?

I'm up for a green version but have never heard Mirlees 30. That being the case I'm more than happy to substitute EE sounds - which of course I am familiar with. I'll probably end up buying the Accurascale sound package anyway but it would be nice (and cheaper!) to be able to buy it ready fitted. 

Those that don't find such compromise unacceptable dont have to buy it :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Morning @Accurascale FranI understand the rationale of not offering the Class 31 sound project with the Mirlees engined variant but I wonder if you might reconsider?

I'm up for a green version but have never heard Mirlees 30. That being the case I'm more than happy to substitute EE sounds - which of course I am familiar with. I'll probably end up buying the Accurascale sound package anyway but it would be nice (and cheaper!) to be able to buy it ready fitted. 

I'd assume that either:

1. A decoder will be available aftermarket with either a similar sound project to the Accurascale one or an attempt at at Mirlees.

2. The other one would be to buy the Accurascale sound decoder separately as available with the Deltic etc after the general release.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I've seen at least one video where a 30/31 had a Mirrlees sound file...so one must exist somewhere? Until that point, I'd never heard one, either. I can't say it's accurate to the sound of a Mirrlees, but it certainly didn't sound like an English Electric.

Perhaps do some digging? 🙂

I hope you find what you're looking for

Edited by ProjectRedcar

• RMweb Gold
On 06/10/2022 at 09:12, MikeParkin65 said:

Is this the Sound of a Mirlees engine here, 10.30s minutes in ?

glimpses here, though mostly muffled..

i wonder if the original footage exists to make either documentary ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ProjectRedcar said:

I've seen at least one video where a 30/31 had a Mirrlees sound file...so one must exist somewhere? Until that point, I'd never heard one, either. I can't say it's accurate to the sound of a Mirrlees, but it certainly didn't sound like an English Electric.

Perhaps do some digging? 🙂

I hope you find what you're looking for

I posted a YouTube video of a Hornby 30 with Howes' sound on my old layout a good many years ago. Bryan of Howes used a class 37/9 Mirrlees sound recording slowed down and tweaked to match some archive material as closely as he could. It was never going to be 100% accurate, but it was as close as he could get at that time. I still have that locomotive and I still like the different sound of the Mirrlees.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, SRman said:

I posted a YouTube video of a Hornby 30 with Howes' sound on my old layout a good many years ago. Bryan of Howes used a class 37/9 Mirrlees sound recording slowed down and tweaked to match some archive material as closely as he could. It was never going to be 100% accurate, but it was as close as he could get at that time. I still have that locomotive and I still like the different sound of the Mirrlees.

Thanks for confirming! It may very well have been your video that I watched. I recall a BR Green example being used

• Friendly/supportive 1