Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

Page 68 of MLI 189 on the Class 31s shows a derailed 31273 being recovered by six Class 47s (!!) after having run off the end of a goods loop with a Southall to Acton freight on 31st October 1977 - at this date the loco still had exposed bodyside steps, hinged end gangway doors and a 'working' headcode panel wound to show '. . 31'. I'm no 31 expert but I was surprised that it was still in basically original condition by such a date.

The main radiator side grille was missing but I think this was 'accident damage' as it had regained it when photographed by John Vaughan passing Bodmin Road light engine on 3rd June 1981.

On 08/04/2022 at 21:39, Halvarras said:

Page 68 of MLI 189 on the Class 31s shows a derailed 31273 being recovered by six Class 47s (!!) after having run off the end of a goods loop with a Southall to Acton freight on 31st October 1977 - at this date the loco still had exposed bodyside steps, hinged end gangway doors and a 'working' headcode panel wound to show '. . 31'. I'm no 31 expert but I was surprised that it was still in basically original condition by such a date.

The main radiator side grille was missing but I think this was 'accident damage' as it had regained it when photographed by John Vaughan passing Bodmin Road light engine on 3rd June 1981.

Almost all 31's still had end doors during 1977, but in the following years plated doors were more and more common. I would also estimate that at least 50% still headcode blinds by the end of the year, albeit wound to '0000' (and variations of the theme). Also, there were still a few dozen that had the exposed side steps, not yet plated over. 

Cameron

• Like 2

On 08/04/2022 at 21:39, Halvarras said:

I still have a cutting from the "Midweek Gazette" (Middlesex County Press) with a front-page report on this incident,must have been a slow news week...

Some quality informed journalism includes ".it was an old-fashioned machine with a 1500hp engine and used as a local train. Because of it's age it was due to be retired shortly and may now be withdrawn from service"

"For train spotters the loco's number was 31273"

The report states that the recovery took place on Sunday November 20th,no hurry then...

Neil

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Any chance, in the next set of class 31s of an early blue version with D numbers (I.e. pre later 1968 repaints)? There were quite a number of these (starting with D5649) as well as the green with double arrow symbol versions. 

It’s been said a few times previously, expect all liveries to be done at some stage, just important to be patient as manufacturing slots are at a premium and it’s is also impossible to satisfy everyone straight away, let’s just be thankful we have a forwards thinking company actually producing one 👍

Edited by younGGuns7
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

Well, I've finally given in and ordered a sound fitted Charybdis, seeing as it's back at the NYMR for a while, and having had a nice trip or two behind it on its previous visit, it fits in nicely with one of my modelling preferences! Being as it's in blue, I can just about get away with it lurking around on Whitborough as well (though I know there are a few details not right for the 80s, I can live with it for my own entertainment!)

I fully expect a comission from Locomotion Models for the NRM's example to be announced any day now, as that would have been my other choice! There's always room for one (or more) more Goyle though!

I really should get on with the Lima one I have in the detailing queue! One day maybe, one day!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

On 21/04/2022 at 18:38, younGGuns7 said:

It’s been said a few times previously, expect all liveries to be done at some stage, just important to be patient as manufacturing slots are at a premium and it’s is also impossible to satisfy everyone straight away, let’s just be thankful we have a forwards thinking company actually producing one 👍

In defence of my post, it’s not a different livery (the model of 5544 in BR blue/FYE achieves that in mid 60s format and layout of numbers and symbol). 

However for those of us modelling pre TOPS transition to BR blue, the loss of the D indicates late 68 at least - in the same way that TOPS paraphernalia on wagons and locos is anachronistic for us. 

Therefore the only option, if a D5xxx in blue/FYE is not produced, is to purchase 5544 and renumber it. 

Im more than happy, however to wait for this. I don’t recall any, amongst the other requests in this thread, having requested this early era (1966-mid 68) variant of BR blue. I’m pretty confident I’m not unique (or anything like), having significant interest in the 1966-68 era. 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

In defence of my post, it’s not a different livery (the model of 5544 in BR blue/FYE achieves that in mid 60s format and layout of numbers and symbol). 

However for those of us modelling pre TOPS transition to BR blue, the loss of the D indicates late 68 at least - in the same way that TOPS paraphernalia on wagons and locos is anachronistic for us. 

Therefore the only option, if a D5xxx in blue/FYE is not produced, is to purchase 5544 and renumber it. 

Im more than happy, however to wait for this. I don’t recall any, amongst the other requests in this thread, having requested this early era (1966-mid 68) variant of BR blue. I’m pretty confident I’m not unique (or anything like), having significant interest in the 1966-68 era. 

You just don’t get it do you, These guys will produce all liveries over time, read back through all the posts in Class 37 to get you’re answer. They are not another manufacturer that just produces what they want occasionally, they really know what to produce and even unique ones will be produced over time. Please hit the follow button and read all the posts to keep up. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

You just don’t get it do you, These guys will produce all liveries over time, read back through all the posts in Class 37 to get you’re answer. They are not another manufacturer that just produces what they want occasionally, they really know what to produce and even unique ones will be produced over time. Please hit the follow button and read all the posts to keep up. 

Without wanting some boring forum drama, the OP says above "Im more than happy, however to wait for this" so that would seem to cover it eh? 🙂

Not wanting to back seat moderate here, but this is usually one of the more peaceful (if a bit odd) forums on the internet, be nice to keep it that way 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, andythenorth said:

Without wanting some boring forum drama, the OP says above "Im more than happy, however to wait for this" so that would seem to cover it eh? 🙂

Not wanting to back seat moderate here, but this is usually one of the more peaceful (if a bit odd) forums on the internet, be nice to keep it that way 😉

I too was a little concerned by the tone of YG7's response - there are nicer ways of expressing an opinion especially where we all hopefully share a common interest...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

But they keep persisting with there prods and they obviously don’t follow the whole thread which give both answers to their questions and reason why their initial requests are not fulfilled, I follow the thread throughout so don’t have to keep going backwards with the same perpetual answer, so no you have also missed the contexts of the OP 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

But they keep persisting with there prods and they obviously don’t follow the whole thread which give both answers to their questions and reason why their initial requests are not fulfilled, I follow the thread throughout so don’t have to keep going backwards with the same perpetual answer, so no you have also missed the contexts of the OP 

Thank you for your advice @younGGuns7 - I suggest you read and understand my post and consider whether I’m simply repeating other requests - if you do so in the context of the whole thread you will realise I’m not and therefore there is absolutely no justification for the tone and apparent chiding of your posts. 

As has been discussed in other posts, unless manufacturers are aware of desired models it’s a bit of a lottery if they will appear. 

If you don’t agree with what I’ve said just ignore it. If you have mistakenly thought I’m criticising Accurascale, far from it - however they’re not mind readers and I’m happy to simply make my request known - nothing more, nothing less 😀

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

58 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

These guys will produce all liveries over time

By when?

Hornby could do all 31 liveries over time.

I aren't here to belittle AS's intentions but ultimately we ain't going to be seeing every combination of 31 in the very near future and so what harm is there commenting on what we want?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

I rest my case..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

By when?

Hornby could do all 31 liveries over time.

I aren't here to belittle AS's intentions but ultimately we ain't going to be seeing every combination of 31 in the very near future and so what harm is there commenting on what we want?

Really me and you won’t see that day 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I rest my case..

Track back a few posts and the manufacturer actually thumbed upped to my comment, yes and I stand corrected that it is a suggestion and shouldn’t be overlooked, there seems to be a misunderstanding that all models can be produced at once, there are so many constraints to understand and at least we have some guys that do listen and produce what is missing in the range, perhaps we all want the same thing but miss understand what we are saying, no offence meant to anyone 

• Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

isunderstanding that all models can be produced at once, there are so many constraints to understand and at least we have some guys that do listen and produce what is missing in the range

That was not my point, it was more that whilst I agree AS are excellent at recognising what people want, and have said they will do all liveries, I don't see why you needed to respond to MidlandRed the way you did, they were making a legitimate suggestion and they said they were happy to wait.

But you have said you didn't mean any offence so fair do's.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

so no you have also missed the contexts of the OP 

Or alternatively that's information you're claiming but don't actually have any evidence for.  It's lovely to get such a civilised response to a request for civility.  😉

Anyway no doubt AY Mod will enjoy cleaning this up if it continues.  Welcome to the internets.  I'm sure we can all be friends.

Edited by andythenorth
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes I too would like a D prefix blue loco. There were around 60 so treated.

I am slightly surprised that only 1 skinhead version has made the initial selection, I’ll hang off ordering for now in case one gets announced, and there’s a couple of other AS things to pay for first…

• Like 1

On 23/04/2022 at 18:50, younGGuns7 said:

Tbh I for one don't mind people making a prod to which engines they want to see, and I'm sure the guys at AS don't mind either. It's a bit like free market research to see which ones keep getting a mention so they know which ones are most likely to sell!🤣

I keep prodding for a 31190 in its last mainline condition *cough* 😉

At the end of the day this is a discussion so if we all sat here in silence waiting for AS to post you might as well not have a profile 🙃

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, XChris said:

Tbh I for one don't mind people making a prod to which engines they want to see, and I'm sure the guys at AS don't mind either. It's a bit like free market research to see which ones keep getting a mention so they know which ones are most likely to sell!🤣

I keep prodding for a 31190 in its last mainline condition *cough* 😉

At the end of the day this is a discussion so if we all sat here in silence waiting for AS to post you might as well not have a profile 🙃

I’m sure you’re right about the wishlisting, as long as people are being honest when they say they would buy a particular version. I put myself very much in the “don’t like” camp when it comes to Peds, but even I might be persuaded by 31135 with its yellow cab windows surrounds as it was always around Reading. But I wouldn’t go as far as making a commitment in advance.

Accurascale isn’t producing the version of the Deltic in green I want (SYP with battery compartment grills) or the Mk2B (50-50 smoking/non, Inter-City B/G, early OHL flashes) in the first batches so I’ll have to wait for them too. At the end of the day I’ll either get what I want or I won’t with all the Accurascale models I’m interested in but I won’t lose any sleep waiting.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

@brushman47544 I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t be honest about what they are wanting to see on here? At the end of the day it’s also interesting to hear about variations such as your 31135 with yellow cab window surrounds, it actually lead me to go find some photos of it. It’s an interest thing that loco looked like that but is well away from my era but nice to see it anyway! Your not making a commitment, I don’t see anyone saying to prod at something being made requires a £60 deposit and a signed contract of purchase…

As the guys at AS say they intend on producing everything, so I’m sure your deltic might be in the next batch or the one after that if you put AS down 🤣 then your Mk.2b’s might turn up if your nice in the next batch too…

I think the point here is we are discussing the Locos and the stock and the liveries they carried and the little special one off’s like painted cabs or white walled tyres etc… to share our interest in the hobby and maybe point something out to another modeller that they could have as a little bit of interesting rolling stock.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, XChris said:

I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t be honest about what they are wanting to see on here?

I think the point is more that they actually put their money where their mouth is, rather than them being dishonest as such.

A lot of people I expect will make a lot of noise about wanting something and then not buy it when it's available (for whatever reason).

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1