Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

22 minutes ago, Chilly said:

31466 looks good and is also preserved so carrying on my theme of NYMR and preserved loco's I'm in.

It has however just dawned on me I have got more locos now than laid pieces of track 🤔

You have track? 😂

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your feedback. I have to say I always loved mainline blue personally, and am starting to feel a bit nostalgic for that era. After all it was very colourful and still had a lot of the heritage diesels and electrics we love. I was also an impressionable kid back then, reading the pages of Rail and seeing these launches of new brands and changing from BR, to seeing Lima turn out models soon after in these liveries. 

Anyone else feeling the same? Is this era of mid-late 90s one that could really take off in the coming years as a nostalgic one?

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Agree 16

The email I got from them today lets out another secret Fran forgot to tell us here ...

"This pairing makes up one half of our Accurascale Exclusives Class 31 range, with another pair to be announced soon. "

... so maybe assorted wish lists on here might also be coming next year.

I'm still waiting for my Class 30s of course,  but I must admit I rather like the EWS version of the 31.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your feedback. I have to say I always loved mainline blue personally, and am starting to feel a bit nostalgic for that era. After all it was very colourful and still had a lot of the heritage diesels and electrics we love. I was also an impressionable kid back then, reading the pages of Rail and seeing these launches of new brands and changing from BR, to seeing Lima turn out models soon after in these liveries. 

Anyone else feeling the same? Is this era of mid-late 90s one that could really take off in the coming years as a nostalgic one?

Cheers!

Fran 

You’ve hit the mail on the head there saying “impressionable kid”. Now that that generation has grown up they are likely to become more active in buying models of their era. For older me, sectorisation liveries are way outside my modelling interests.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT - Mainline and EWS Class 31s Join The Accurascale Exclusives Line Up

Hi everyone,

Our Class 31s have been warmly received since they were announced just under 12 months ago. The main range has been flying off the shelves at pre-order stage and we are about to enter production in the coming weeks.

Everyone also knows that we like a couple of "Accurascale Exclusives"; or series of special edition locos available only direct from our website, open to all without the need for club fees and fair prices that are in keeping with our main range.

So, it's about time we revealed our first Accurascale Exclusives Class 31s!

31407 in Mainline Blue and 31466 in EWS maroon and gold relive those early years of privatisation and the twilight of the peds in front line service.

Class_31_web_31407.jpg.ab690f571bf00a51bb885cbd730f1ec9.jpg

Revealed in February 1996 at an event at Toton TMD, 31407 was possibly the most surprising locomotive to be outshopped in the attractive aircraft blue house colours of Mainline Freight, one of the three shadow privatised freight operators spun off from the Trainload freight business in 1994.

While the Class 31 fleet was in the process of being run down, this locomotive was selected because its electric train supply capability and vacuum braking made it the perfect partner for observation saloon DB999504. Despite this, it mostly saw employment on infrastructure duties, East Anglian passenger moves and railtours before being withdrawn in September 1998.

Class_31_web_31466.jpg.8e2a45f74b64f698a1be40bb5a4f4ad9.jpg

Ahead of the landmark Toton open day in August 1998 there was furious activity behind the scenes at English Welsh & Scottish Railway as the company went hell for leather to show off a more enthusiast-friendly outlook with range of exhibits wearing the Wisconsin Central-inspired maroon and gold paint scheme. One of the highlights of the event was Bescot's 31466, that wore its new EWS livery well despite being built way back in 1959!

A regular on freight and infrastructure work, it moved to Old Oak Common in May 1999 before finally being stored at the start of 2001. Happily it was acquired for preservation in 2007 by the Dean Forest Diesel Association and soon put back into service, the group gaining permission to retain the locomotive in EWS colours. Its currently based at the Severn Valley Railway where it sees regular use.

These two locomotives will enter production after our main range and arrive in stock in Q1 2024. They are priced at £169.99 DC/DCC Ready and £269.99 DCC Sound Fitted. Both are only available direct via our website and you can pre-order by clicking here: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/brush-type-2-class-30-31/accurascale-exclusive_exclusive?

Cheers!

Fran 

Just pre ordered both. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Accurascale is really good at convincing me to give up my hard earned money. I thought I was safe from the class 31s as I'm a preservation and modern DRS modeller but with the EWS announcement this morning I guess I better pony up some cash for 31466 as I do like the Wisconsin Central inspired livery and we had a few locos here in Australia in a similar livery under ATN Access who were also part owned by Wisconsin Central.

I'll share a link to a photo on Flickr that helps show off the Aussie version of EWS. (Not my photo)

Ed's Aussie adventure

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran,

Class 58's always looked good in Mainline blue, hint, hint! 😁

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Magna Junction said:

Hi Fran,

Class 58's always looked good in Mainline blue, hint, hint! 😁

Don’t encourage Fran with these liveries, we need someone in AS to contain him and convince him that a Pre Tops Blue WR is a good one on a 31 first please 🤞🤞

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran 

Oh most definitely !

I was an impressionable 24 year old in 96 ( ahem !), who's interest in trains had died out in 1986.

I saw a shiny Red loco one day and thought " what the fudge is that ??"

Cue getting " rail " magazine and then soaking up info as much as I could ...

Incidentally if you want " rail " nostalgia , some bloke over on wnxx forum ( be careful how you type that ) has uploaded the whole 90s i think to dropbox .

Arguably mainline blue with those amazing silver logos is one of the best liveries ever done 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, 97406 said:

........Coal........Sector.......

Or construction…..or petroleum…..or the single distribution (160 was it?).

Got to be a trainload one in there sometime soon hasn’t there?!?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Definately Fran. Look at this picture I took at Warrington Arpley in February 1998 just before the 66 invasion. I count at least 19 different locos in as many colours as you can imagine. As usual I didn't realise it at the time but this really was the end of the glory days of first generation diesel & electric traction and a fantastic era to model.

1998-02-21 37158 31530 Warrington.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

Another in agreement here. 94-98 will be my favourite memory with new liveries appearing in almost every issue of Rail that id read cover to cover in WHSmith (or Railway Magazine that dad subscribed to). Especially the brightness of Mainline and LoadHaul, and was forever waiting to see what the ‘full’ Transrail would be…that never came! 

Knowing that the 66’s were coming, that Virgin wanted rid of 47/8’s ASAP and likewise FNW with the 37/4’s meant I really savoured the time left.

Sometimes when I looked in the magazines I couldn’t believe what traction had turned up at the head of the XC loco-hauled services when 47’s had failed…56019, 31110, 2x31/4, no heat 37’s, 33202, 37/6’s, and even 2x73 on one occasion. It was only when I started on the railway years later a colleague told me that, yes, it was all entirely deliberate by the cranks working in the Control!

Great times…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Ajax50046 said:

and was forever waiting to see what the ‘full’ Transrail would be…that never came!

Hi @Ajax50046,

Haha me too! I saw loadhaul first, and coming from this side of the Irish Sea was in full agreement that orange and black looked good on locos! 

Then again I remember seeing a picture of 56049 in transrail Dutch and really fell for that combination. 

I still love sector era most of all but this mixes in well with the 94-98 era. And of course, the returning of preserved diesels to the mainline and indeed mainline duties like D9000 and hoovers (and of course our favoured Purple Gordon emerged 🤣🤣!)

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Disappointed on two counts…….

Firstly I would have preferred to see a Green SYP class 31 with sound - which I would have ordered right away, and

Secondly - at the weekend I was tidying thru some old stock and thought I must get around to selling the Lima EWS 31466 that I have……. Not going to gather much silver on this anymore .

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The late 90s and early noughties stuff will definitely be popular with people, but it’s the 80s and early 90s that is my personal favourite time with the gradual phasing out of Banger Blue up until the Railfreight triple grey livery.

Privatisation always had a bad taste with me, so that perhaps clouds my judgement on the time. Accurascale should definitely embrace the period though, as it will be nostalgic for many and I still found EWS livery appealing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I noticed newly announced DCC Sound variants are now separate items from the DCC Ready versions on the website, a nice little change I sppose. Maybe it should be carried over to older models, because for example, I click Class 92, I see 92001 Victor Hugo from £189.99 and only 18 left, I click into it, only to find out what's left are the DCC Sound versions at £279.99.

But I gotta say the Accurascale website is probably the most user friendly site of a manufacturer. Some manufacturers, (sigh), their websites are so unbrowsable, can't find anything, I don't know what they're trying to show us, maybe they just don't want us to browse their sites.

If I gotta complain about the Accurascale website, there are 2 things:

1. With the ever growing product range, the drop down list for "Wagons" is now longer than my screen can show (has been for a while). I can use Ctrl Minus to make the page smaller, but that's not gonna work when the range keeps growing.

2. The "Project Status" page is a great invention, only if it's constantly updated (the 89 is still missing, and some very fresh ones). And perhaps those delivered can leave that page.

(Sorry for nitpicking, but I know you guys strive for excellence)

(I'm posting here because I saw that change while browsing for the 31)

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1