Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Indeed it is the latest commission with Rails of Sheffield. Having had the Lima version of this as a lad I was shouting loud at Gareth to do it. I'm not sure he's so enamoured with the livery as I am but his artwork has really knocked it out of the park.

image.png.7fbfe7ed71c5ab92017b45c78ac61620.png

Cheers!

Fran 

Top of my list for the class 31

798987365_crewe57.png.f01efa0eac5c0fa6548ec45a0b8e4e98.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Oh fantastic One of Manchesters direst club train locos.. utterly notoriously unreliable…

it’s been dragged out and dragged home as many times a week as I had years back then.

if your following North West rails in the early 1990’s this is a must…

it’s also easily realistically modelled.. you need 4 coaches and something else on the front to drag it round… that can be another 31, any freight class from Springs Branch or Warrington, or even better still 3 more class 31’s to drag it and the 4 coaches.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Oh fantastic One of Manchesters direst club train locos.. utterly notoriously unreliable…

it’s been dragged out and dragged home as many times a week as I had years back then.

if your following North West rails in the early 1990’s this is a must…

it’s also easily realistically modelled.. you need 4 coaches and something else on the front to drag it round… that can be another 31, any freight class from Springs Branch or Warrington, or even better still 3 more class 31’s to drag it and the 4 coaches.

I remember draging a failed 31 from Huyton on a pasanger train to lime St with my loco whilst on target31 the daytime ballast trip job from garston might of been this colorful beast...crazy thing was as early days of sectorisation the rescue prob paid for the three man crew of T31 and the fuel for week for rescue 47! The paper trail for money changed hands for attribution so fast it was like modern day crypto! And as a bonus we finished day early as didn't have to trip to Warrington !

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

As ugly a livery as it is, im strangely tempted. When did it run in this terrible colour scheme?

Hi @The Ghost of IKB,

From Gareth:

31413 this livery from its naming at the SVR in April 1988 until it’s destruction by the Booth’s gas axe in 1998. It picked up a few detail differences along the way of course, including a headlight in early 1991

Cheers!

Fran 

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2023 at 15:53, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Indeed it is the latest commission with Rails of Sheffield. Having had the Lima version of this as a lad I was shouting loud at Gareth to do it. I'm not sure he's so enamoured with the livery as I am but his artwork has really knocked it out of the park.

image.png.7fbfe7ed71c5ab92017b45c78ac61620.png

Cheers!

Fran 

Painted by Stevie Wonder @Clive Mortimore

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Wasn't planning on it, but can't resist a crazy colour scheme. I saw 31413 at Paddington at some point around 1989/90 with some parcels stock.

This is proving quite an expensive year!

Rich

Yes, it did get about on parcels trains which has forced me to buy it too :(

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I rode behind a squeaky clean 31413 on the Severn Valley Railway and it didn’t break down, so I’m quite tempted by it! All depending on what else is announced within the next couple of months.

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Premium
On 10/03/2023 at 18:35, mevaman1 said:

I had 413 as a Lima model and sold it on a few years back.

Always liked the livery and she did get around, as they say.

Duly ordered.

Got around because nobody wanted it…? A bit BR blue, a bit Railfreight red stripe and a bit Trans-Pennine, in the hope someone would use it…?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Difficult to resist with a Class 59 on the loose! 😎

Reminiscing about that gala is the reason I got a 59 recently (of the Lima variety). Runs a lot better with decent wheels, pickups and a 5 pole motor in it now.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Ooh 31018 as an NRM exclusive! 

I note delivery says 2024 on the locomotion models website - Is this correct? 

Cheers,

Do you have a link to this please?

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Chilly said:

Do you have a link to this please?

Organisations that send out press releases after close of play, recall them due to error and then re-issue them. 🤬

😊

PRESS RELEASE 

Class 31 No.31018 

Today, Locomotion Models, in partnership with Accurascale, announced the release of a 00 gauge Class 31 No.31018 diesel electric locomotive as the newest addition to the National Collection in Miniature Series. The model has been designed and is being made by Accurascale at their factory in China. 

Class 31 Information 

In 1955, the British Transport Commission published the 'Modernisation Plan'. This plan intended to revolutionise the railway system, increasing speed, reliability, safety and line capacity of British Rail. To achieve this meant replacing steam locomotives with diesel and electric traction, and the Class 31 were the first engines built by Brush Electrical Engineering Company under the new plan.

The locomotives were built in Loughborough in 1957, but their original 1250 HP Mirralees engines soon proved to be unreliable, so were replaced by 1470 HP engines produced by English Electric in the 1960s. The Class 31s were later withdrawn in 1976, but D5500 was restored in Doncaster and has since operated on multiple heritage railways across the UK. It is now on display in the Great Hall at the National Railway Museum in York. 

Model Specifications Include:

One truck (bogie) styles with separate footsteps, brake cylinders, speed recorder and end brake rigging

Brake blocks on bogies in line with wheels 

Scale width wire handrails 

Etched metal roof grille

Accurate high-fidelity miniature snowploughs, chassis fitted

Full underbody battery box/air tank detail with pipework

Full sprung buffers, multiple pipework variations and screw couplings

A fully working, scale speed roof fan, that will run on both DC and DCC

High quality 5-pole motor with two large flywheels

Lighting clusters with appropriate day and night-time settings

Switchable red and white marker lights 

Separately switched cab lighting and illuminated driver's desk with auto/off on movement

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1