Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, russ p said:

I would think the best sellers will be unrefurbrished BFYE and GFYE as there hasn't been a decent model of these variants ever. GFYE with double arrows would be great too. The only RTR model I've ever seen in this livery is the Heljan 15

All be it with the lower light green stripe,  but Heljan also did a Class 23. 

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Amaziii said:

Any update on how to produce a sound version for the Class 30s?
Cheers!

Hi @Amaziii,

Nothing yet but we are following a few enquiries. If anyone has a mirrlees in their shed they forgot to tell anyone about we’ll love to hear from them!

Cheers!

Fran

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Amaziii,

Nothing yet but we are following a few enquiries. If anyone has a mirrlees in their shed they forgot to tell anyone about we’ll love to hear from them!

Cheers!

Fran

Is there not old cine film footage of the Class 30s working the suburban services out of Kings Cross as they came up from the widened lines? I'm pretty sure I'd seen something like that before, possibly on the Diesel & Electric on 35mm disks from Video 125. Would there be enough there to work with?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GordonC said:

Is there not old cine film footage of the Class 30s working the suburban services out of Kings Cross as they came up from the widened lines? I'm pretty sure I'd seen something like that before, possibly on the Diesel & Electric on 35mm disks from Video 125. Would there be enough there to work with?

Remember some old films are dubbed and would possibly be EE sounds. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Interesting but wholly reasonable too.. I wonder why that never caught on ?

I always wondered why they had the slab yellow end when the cabsides obviously lent themselves to the yellow wrapping around. Definitely a better look and they always looked a little ‘challenging’ in standard Banger Blue, even though I am quite fond of them in that scheme paradoxically.

1 minute ago, 97406 said:

I always wondered why they had the slab yellow end when the cabsides obviously lent themselves to the yellow wrapping around. Definitely a better look and they always looked a little ‘challenging’ in standard Banger Blue, even though I am quite fond of them in that scheme paradoxically.

Its quite odd how the application of BR Blue and Yellow varied between classes from the slab-fronted 25s and 31s to the yellow cabside windows on 26s, 27s and 47s. Its not even particularly differences between regions and seemed more according to class generally

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Interesting but wholly reasonable too.. I wonder why that never caught on ?

Agree. I think it looked quite good!!!

Edited by Gary H
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Its quite odd how the application of BR Blue and Yellow varied between classes from the slab-fronted 25s and 31s to the yellow cabside windows on 26s, 27s and 47s. Its not even particularly differences between regions and seemed more according to class generally

It was the brief appearance of InterCity/IC Mainline livery with slab yellow ends on 47s and AC electrics that disappointed me after some tasteful new liveries. Thankfully short lived and I don’t recall any 31s being painted like that.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Definitely a better look and they always looked a little ‘challenging’ in standard Banger Blue.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to how they 'should' look, but I don't like that at all - it just seems weird!

Even though it totally makes sense given that the cab-side windows are set in from the body side, just like on a Hymek.

10 years ago, people would have just been glad to get a blue 31/4.

Each to their own, but maybe the rivet counters have been spoilt, or if A/S did less detail i. E Didn't bother with the likes of trip cocks, toughened windscreens etc., it would not be a problem? 

We all know that they will not compromise on detail, but I think people need to look at things in perspective. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

Maybe it's just because I'm used to how they 'should' look, but I don't like that at all - it just seems weird!

Even though it totally makes sense given that the cab-side windows are set in from the body side, just like on a Hymek.

I think the lower edge of the cabside yellow window frames could sit in the recess a little better.

I grew up with Banger Blue, and also have recollections of green diesels with full yellow ends from when I was very young. I just accepted them in the livery which was safety-driven, with aesthetics taking a back seat, and the livery forms a large part of my fleet of locos, with 2 blue 31s on order including the one with the fugly toughened driver's windscreen. Dreadful! 😉

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, GordonC said:

Thinking about it…

Slab front 20-22, 24, 25, 28-31, 42,52, 71,73,74,76

cabside 26,27,33,35,47,50,56, 81,-87

nose 17, 23, 37,40, 44,45,46,55

no obvious pattern (except the noses).

if anything the 26/27/33 seem odd.. 26 even wraps across the drivers windowless door.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

10 years ago, people would have just been glad to get a blue 31/4.

Each to their own, but maybe the rivet counters have been spoilt, or if A/S did less detail i. E Didn't bother with the likes of trip cocks, toughened windscreens etc., it would not be a problem? 

We all know that they will not compromise on detail, but I think people need to look at things in perspective. 

Sorry but your are talking rowlocks.  There is no "problem"   Accurascale, Rapido, SLW and Cavalex are here precisely for that reason - but is also people in these companies who are driving the changes.  It probably would not be fair to name them all but you can see the passion from Paul Isles, but another guy who I have admired for a long time is "Pixie" when he was telling us all about Roath.  His quest for model realism was one of a number. 

Perhaps it is a direct result of what these guys were doing at the time which has eventually brought about Bachmann class 37v4 or is it v5 ? I believe it is also why "PMP" has extensively d0ocumented the appalling performance of a certain "designer"s "J94". and his subsequent "disappearance" into the wilderness. British modellers demand decent stuff   , and I think are actually looking at stuff in perspective.  I remember a few years ago when a particular employee worked for Dapol, he was quite happy just to produce a single bodyshell for the N class 56, irrespective of whether it was Romanian, Doncaster or Crewe built, whether it had the "Loadhaul" clean air compartment grilles etc etc.  What about the ficticious valances on Stanier tenders by the red box toy company ? and talkiing of fiction, the "solebars" on class 25s.

I personally think the hobby has progressed light years in just the last three or four years and I am loving it. 

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thinking about it…

Slab front 20-22, 24, 25, 28-31, 42,52, 71,73,74,76

cabside 26,27,33,35,47,50,56, 81,-87

nose 17, 23, 37,40, 44,45,46,55

no obvious pattern (except the noses).

if anything the 26/27/33 seem odd.. 26 even wraps across the drivers windowless door.

Some early repaints of the Mac Rats lacked the yellow cabside window frames. 

Here’s an image from the Derby Sulzers website. Definitely preferred them with. https://www.derbysulzers.com/class26.htmlhttps://www.derbysulzers.com/class26.html

image.jpeg.22176e282d88ece74400b0da48bdf951.jpeg

Also 52s had the yellow extending around the sides, but it was a very small area so barely visible especially when dirty. One of the best applications of Banger Blue IMHO alongside 33s and the 37s/40s/Peaks.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Covkid said:

Sorry but your are talking rowlocks.  There is no "problem"   Accurascale, Rapido, SLW and Cavalex are here precisely for that reason - but is also people in these companies who are driving the changes.  It probably would not be fair to name them all but you can see the passion from Paul Isles, but another guy who I have admired for a long time is "Pixie" when he was telling us all about Roath.  His quest for model realism was one of a number. 

Perhaps it is a direct result of what these guys were doing at the time which has eventually brought about Bachmann class 37v4 or is it v5 ? I believe it is also why "PMP" has extensively d0ocumented the appalling performance of a certain "designer"s "J94". and his subsequent "disappearance" into the wilderness. British modellers demand decent stuff   , and I think are actually looking at stuff in perspective.  I remember a few years ago when a particular employee worked for Dapol, he was quite happy just to produce a single bodyshell for the N class 56, irrespective of whether it was Romanian, Doncaster or Crewe built, whether it had the "Loadhaul" clean air compartment grilles etc etc.  What about the ficticious valances on Stanier tenders by the red box toy company ? and talkiing of fiction, the "solebars" on class 25s.

I personally think the hobby has progressed light years in just the last three or four years and I am loving it. 

Like I said, each to their own.  Personally I agree that there are some simply stunning model  which are a credit to their manufacturer and designer. But actually, and nothing to do with Accurascale exclusively, but if you take a real hard look, its not actually as enjoyable but a hobby that has metamorphasised itself into a chure. 

Every item that you get you have to inspect very closely, often check after running sessions, have your heart go pounding after every derailment praying for no damage, sometimes bits are missing, broken, or need repairs (the other month I spent about over 10 hours sorting 6 packs of 4 wagons, 4 repaired, 2 waiting for a company (not A/S) to reply to my emails) some are chasing around checking every last detail to make sure it fits a period. Its like mail order, great but once upon a time you wrote a cheque, sent it, waited for that to clear and you waited, and it was special to get a parcel delivered within a week.  Now if you call and order bul early afternoon, we  are pretty anxious if the train does not arrive the next day. Not saying that its not progress and better, but is it as enjoyable, or a series of chores we have become accustomed, in the name of progress? 

FYI, a new version 37 as version 5,I agree, would not have come, but at c£250 did we need it? I have not had any yet - waiting for my grey boxes.... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thoughts, I too sometimes ponder “what am I going to lose” when running something of recent levels of detail.

Theres a balance between intricate cabinet display models and day to day running models.

When it comes to exhibition layouts, I often see older stuff running, presumably because they already own it, have learnt it and see no reason to change.

it would be interesting to hear experiences of layout operators, who presumably more than most would have direct handling experience, maybe its own thread ?

Personally i like the detail, but think some of it could still be in a parts bag.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

FYI, a new version 37 as version 5,I agree, would not have come, but at c£250 did we need it? I have not had any yet - waiting for my grey boxes.... 

I personally and firmly believe that it's not the increase in detail that has pushed the price of models higher. There are more factors in play which are having a greater affect.

You only have to look at the prices being asked for older tooled models. In some cases, older tooled models from one manufacturer are the same price as new tooling from another.

Yes, the models are more detailed and that detail takes more time and effort to implement. However I think there has also been a leep in technology which has driven that increase. Prices are rising due to many, many more factors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McC said:

We are doing our best to not raise prices. 

Well obviously.  Who in their right mind would buy a "red box" class 31 when a new, more highly detailed, more scale, more featured, more realistic and much easier to use one is about to hit the shops !!!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1