Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GD said:

My own recollections of class 31s from the 80s were that they all looked knackered with oil stains and general grime and soot, will you be doing weathered versions or is that something accurascale are shying away from? I know weathering can have a fine line between looking amazing or awful.

Thanks for this model.

Why not teach yourself to do it? Weathering powders are quite forgiving. Find something cheap to practise on.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Is there a reason why the grilles are different on 31432 compared with the others?

The vertical grille was introduced in the mid 1980s in an attempt to improve the airflow through the engine room/radiator section

Quite a lot of locos were converted but we've only got a couple of locos lined up with this feature in the first couple of runs...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me that opening doors find their way into a future release. I would say the tooling is too advanced for this one. Not that a little deft work with a scalpel is out of the question, for the more adventurous.

Having checked in with the project manager on the class 31 I can confirm that while not ‘opening’ the doors are separately applied parts and can be popped into an open position should you want. (Which is the same on the Class 37)

Edited by McC
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 7

On 23/02/2022 at 13:32, G-BOAF said:

Looks to be a wonderful model.

I will probably pass on this. Never had much attraction for me; low powered and pig ugly.

BUT impressive lifespan and sphere of operation. VERY good choice for AS, and looks a VERY impressive model in terms of detail and variations (and if I do get one it will be because it is an excellent piece of model engineering...)

Amazed that AS will be producing this all new, high detailed model for BELOW the current RRP of the Hornby 31 (which is long paid off in terms of tooling...)

All good things from the team in the Emerald Isle. :-)

Just proves that it can be done and Hornby release the same old tat, no more than a renumber for ridiculous money! I wish Fran and all at Accurascale for being able to produce top quality stuff for a very competitive price. The tooling is on par, ok  better, than the Bachmann 47, but compare the price. Well done Accurascale!! Just need an HST Announcement at a reasonable price....

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

Looking forward to these.

Question for our friends at Accurascale. A couple of people have mentioned wanting to model a late 1980s 31/4. I'm in the same boat but the headlight on 31432 makes it theortically only suitable for 1991 onwards. Has any consideration been given to supplying the headlights as seperately fitted parts for the user to attach if required? This would also make renumbering an easier proposition for centrally or offset headlight prototypes.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Question for our friends at Accurascale. A couple of people have mentioned wanting to model a late 1980s 31/4. I'm in the same boat but the headlight on 31432 makes it theortically only suitable for 1991 onwards. Has any consideration been given to supplying the headlights as seperately fitted parts for the user to attach if required? This would also make renumbering an easier proposition for centrally or offset headlight prototypes.

It would be difficult to make one that lights up, though. They can be trimmed off and painted over, or you can wait for that combination to be released.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

I don’t think that would work with the lighting to be honest. And I’m with you on the non headlight version but think I’d be happier waiting than having the front compromised. 

The batch 446-455 seems to have been fitted with headlights in the offset position under drivers window around 86ish so that would be also be on my wish list! The centre light on 432 seems to have more of a 90s thing! 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

It’s not that difficult with a bit of practice, as mentioned by others, I find a mix of paints and weathering powders work well, here’s an O gauge 31 I weathered last year

Paul

3BA83C28-687F-47B9-85A2-9EA23C4DFC8B.jpeg

Such is the track and wheel profile of O gauge that the normal telltales for model vs prototype were not accessible.

The background and fingerprint(?) to the left of the cab made me think it was a model, BUT it was VERY VERY hard to tell from the loco itself. could have been a slightly grainy picture of the real thing. As a OO modelling I'm envious. Quick a remarkable bit of artistry in your weathering.

I'm sure the Accurascale model will brush up similarly (no pun intended), and with P4 and bullhead rail, be similarly convincing

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Such is the track and wheel profile of O gauge that the normal telltales for model vs prototype were not accessible.

The background and fingerprint(?) to the left of the cab made me think it was a model, BUT it was VERY VERY hard to tell from the loco itself. could have been a slightly grainy picture of the real thing. As a OO modelling I'm envious. Quick a remarkable bit of artistry in your weathering.

I'm sure the Accurascale model will brush up similarly (no pun intended), and with P4 and bullhead rail, be similarly convincing

Thanks very much for the kind words, like you say modelling in 7mm is far easier to try and get looking realistic, but having recently moved back to 4mm albeit with hand built track I’ll be doing my best to get realistic pics in OO.

Thanks again 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, McC said:

As you would expect from team accura we’ve put a lot of R&D time into accurate scale fans that run completely silently at accurate, scaled, speeds. Like our pantograph motors there is next to zero motor noise and the visual  effect with dcc controlled variable speed reacting to load and startup,etc is very visually attractive and will be the subject of a forthcoming detailed video. 

The key - maybe signature feature would be to simulate the fan clutch screech. 

As built most EE powered diesels had the radiator fan shaft driven off the free end of the engine through bevel gears in the radiator compartment.  It was decided by BR though in the early 1980s that the locos were over cooling themselves with the fan spinning continuously so a thermostatically controlled magnetic clutch was fitted to the vertical shaft driving the fan. So on cold days the clutch would only energise when the coolant needed chilling. This meant that the stationary fan drive was magnetically coupled to the lower shaft at engine rpm. This meant a metallic screech was emitted when the rad fan was engaged.  Now a nifty bit of DCC sound programming would tie the audio visual elements of that together !!!    

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 24/02/2022 at 08:31, johnd said:

An interesting mix with one clear omission ! what  about GREEN small yellow panel  with Lion on wheel crest?

I regret to state this, but Accurascale has turned its back on modellers of the steam/diesel transition period (i.e. 1962-68) who want diesels with gysp.

There was no class 37 for this period even though they label the model of D6702 on their web site as gysp mid-1960s.  Their image clearly indicates livery features that were not applied until 1969.  This is not mid-1960s and is after the end of steam in 1968.

Now they are not proposing a gysp class 31 for the steam/diesel transition period.

It can not be that the gysp Deltic models are unpopular, as of the two currently listed on their website, one is sold out.  In contrast, none of the two plain green models appear to have sold out.  Neither have any of the three fye Deltic models sold out.  So it can't be that Accurascale gsyp models are unpopular.

Until Accurascale demonstrate otherwise, it may be wise to assume it will be a long time (if ever ?) before we see Accurascale produce any gsyp model Class 31s or 37s for the 1962-68 period.  I can only assume that they have no personal interest in the period, and so have no interest in producing such models !

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 73080 said:

it may be wise to assume it will be a long time (if ever ?) ... I can only assume that they ...

I must assume that making assumptions is a dangerous business :)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 73080 said:

There was no class 37 for this period even though they label the model of D6702 on their web site as gysp mid-1960s.  Their image clearly indicates livery features that were not applied until 1969.  This is not mid-1960s and is after the end of steam in 1968.

I’d expect a full yellow end to be applied by 1969. This looks bang on for your desired period, or easily tweaked if needed (remove the data panel??)

ECF4FE79-9632-4C3A-B28A-DF676BF4794F.jpeg

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, McC said:

You quoted from a paragraph that started with the words  "Until Accurascale demonstrate otherwise..."

I hope that you will demonstrate otherwise.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 73080 said:

You quoted from a paragraph that started with the words  "Until Accurascale demonstrate otherwise..."

I hope that you will demonstrate otherwise.

Apologies if I inadvertently took your post as somewhat tongue in cheek. Obviously we have produced Deltics in the Period, 37 in the livery too (don't be distracted by the livery artwork, as per, more tweaks would be made to ensure the model is 100% accurate, and you can read the complete list of model-specific features on the product page - https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/locomotives/products/d6702 )

I would hope that my (jestful) reply, would have hinted (strongly) that demonstration will be forthcoming in swift order ;)

Edited by McC
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, McC said:

Given that the tooling suite will cater for nearly every variation, I assume :O that most people will eventually be satisfied. The 31 looks extremely tempting but sadly, it has to come low on my list because, whatever the shortcomings of the Hornby model, it duplicates a class half-decently represented. (I can well imagine I’ll change my mind.) My first reaction was to skim through the spec to see how the smaller carrying wheel would be tackled and I was pleased to note that there will be no attempt to gear drive to it but it will be sprung and will play its part in picking up current.

The only part of the spec I would question is the “illuminated, driver’s desk with auto/off on movement”. I fancy that the driver would need his instruments (dimly) lit at night and in any case would be too preoccupied to switch them off at the exact moment his train starts to move.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, No Decorum said:

I fancy that the driver would need his instruments (dimly) lit at night and in any case would be too preoccupied to switch them off at the exact moment his train starts to move.

The dials will remain dimly lit when the model is lit for night running, the cab lights will switch off a few moments after the model gets underway if not switched off at the controller. (All things are configurable on the project level by adjusting cv's)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1