Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

So looking at the Class 37 for example, some that are not best sellers are OOS - implying you're making different numbers of each model?

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/class-37

not entirely  no. The ‘best seller’  list is based on rolling 90 days sales so really popular models that sold out before that period don’t get ranked. Generally we make about 500-750 of each. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Ever thought about the fact that there may be no decent  Mirrlees JVS12T sound files available at the moment, that are up to the standard that Accurascale expects. This might have something to do with commercial viability and why D5549 is not been offered as a sound fitted version.

Question for Accurascale.  Will D5549 still be fitted with speaker(s?) when bought as DCC ready?

TIA,

P

I asked the same question and it was answered by McC quite clearly, if and when a sound file becomes available a sound version (or an upgrade to a pre ordered non sound version can be made) will be made available.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

Sorry me again with another Q the artwork looks like a blue data panel is that correct?

It is, pretty sure all data panels had blue backing, unless they are hand-painted (or the blue was painted over, like on 55002)

The real one for your examination :)

5803 Old Oak Common Mpd. 11-08-1973.jpg

And link to the full version

5803 Old Oak Common Mpd. 09-03-1972

Edited by McC
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, McC said:

It is, pretty sure all data panels had blue backing, unless they are hand-painted (or the blue was painted over, like on 55002)

That’s going to be interesting, even I could make a real good go at that mess :banghead:thanks again 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

You're right, but i think the main competition for the accurascale 31 is actually the Hornby railroad 31.  The full fat Hornby is likely dead in the water.  At a touch under £70 more expensive and with lesser specifications you really would have to like gsyp to buy one.

Absolutely correct.  About two years ago I bought a secondhand Hornby 31 all singing model from Ellisclark, it came looking like new and only cost £100, it had been professionally weathered (and a bonus was it had a chip in it, but not sound which it has now) and to me it looks very nice, sounds great and performs faultlessly, but there is no way I could justify the RRP/discounted new price for one of these……but the Accurascale version? Yes indeed I think it’s a bargain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, McC said:

And link to the full version

5803 Old Oak Common Mpd. 09-03-1972

I have a similar image of 5803 I took at Reading in March 1972

5803 Reading March 72 Slide 930.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

All depends on if you purchased a Hornby version previously and if you are wanting a direct duplicate of that model.

I just think it makes more business sense to target the widest possible customer base with your intial run.

If anything, Accurascale are spoiling us here with the wide range of livery options they have chosen. Previously, you'd be lucky to get a few green versions and a blue one in a first announcement. You would have to wait a few years for a ru  of later liveries if those required a retool.

Indeed - I have Hornby ones I am keeping, the Accurascale model allows me to add correctly tooled variants

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that the 'banger blue' TOPS variant (albeit with orange cantrail stripe) is selling best at the moment. Indications of just how popular that period is? I'm certainly hoping for a non-striped basic TOPS blue suitable for early to mid 80s in the next batch...

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I assume this is the Mini Thrash speaker?  Acknowledging that it's dangerous to assume anything on this thread at the moment.

P

When I started on the railway I was told ‘never assume’ think that goes for the modelling railway to :scratchhead:

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Interesting that the 'banger blue' TOPS variant (albeit with orange cantrail stripe) is selling best at the moment. Indications of just how popular that period is? I'm certainly hoping for a non-striped basic TOPS blue suitable for early to mid 80s in the next batch...

What makes it interesting for me is that the represents a very late application of BR Blue before it became a heritage livery, and is coupled with a 31 with headlight, grille mods, plated end doors etc. So the whole package is very distinct from a basic 70s/80s blue and legitimately runs alongside the sector liveries. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, McC said:

The dials will remain dimly lit when the model is lit for night running, the cab lights will switch off a few moments after the model gets underway if not switched off at the controller. (All things are configurable on the project level by adjusting cv's)

I missed that reply earlier somehow. McC didn’t miss my point made after a load of blether, yet he is a great deal busier than I am. These Accurascale chaps are amazing. “Dials will remain dimly lit when the model is set for night running.” I can’t think of a better way to do it. Many thanks.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, johnd said:

If there was a GREEN SYP (1962-1968) version available I would have ordered one by now, sadly not to be.

22 hours ago, Legend said:

Give the guy a break . While I don’t subscribe to the Accurascale has abandoned mid 60s modellers , I have a green With small yellow warning panel Deltic on order , the lack of a small yellow warning panel 31 is surprising . I know it’ll probably come eventually but I think along with banger blue 31/1 there’s probably a demand for these liveries all the time 

21 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Just wait. :huh:

21 hours ago, Gilbert said:

You tease....

No teasing or abandonment or anything else in between actually.  It's just bloody commonsense really.  Why would Accurascale deliberately avoid significant sales ? There are well over a dozen potential exclusives and that is based on previous possible.  There may be even more in the wings Trains 4 U at Peterborough did the originally light blue class 150 which Bachmann didn't and AFAIK still haven't. Did anyone get into a strop with Bachmann for this glaring show of "abandonment" ?  Sorry but I find it so laughable. We are talking about Accurascale whose team seem to be as "switched on" as any model producer I have found, and they really really will not miss a sales opportunity.

Patience is a virtue 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

One word: excellent. 

I won't waste a vast amount of space and everybody's time by reciting the many and varied issues with the current rtr model and the policies of its manufacturer in respect of livery choices and releases but suffice to say I am chuffed at the prospect of something way, way better.  The cobwebs are being removed from my credit card as we speak.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I said to a distinctly uninterested better half a few weeks ago that if a decent non biodegradable 31 was ever released I'd revisit my Barnstaple line project again. So factoring in the entire layout that will have to be built for it, makes this a very expensive proposition. :D

I'll still be making the necessary fiscal arrangements over the next few days though. I'll let you off for all the teasing with glimpses of tiny bits of 37 anatomy now;)

Edited by slow8dirty
fat Stoker fingers
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Depends how you look at it, I believe these two represent the first time that a proper banger blue (and white stripe) ETH ped have ever been offered. The other ETH liveries have in one way or another been done, so it doesn't really surprise that they fall further down the list. 420 raises an eyebrow somewhat as I think IC Mainline livery has only ever graced the old Lima tooling so its in the same boat as banger blue as not being done properly before.

Looking through my spotting notes from 1990, interestingly most 31/1 were in freight liveries with less than 20 of them left in blue, I think I copped 17 of the class in blue and there was only 3 /1s I didn't get. In the same year I copped over 30 /4s and more than half of the /5 still in banger blue. So for those of us aiming at the late '80s into the early '90s (before Dutch livery seemingly took over) the blue /4 makes most sense while a freight liveried /1 is pretty much the de-facto livery.

For me its /4s only this time around, but I'm looking forward to later batches to start filling in the rest. 31110 is making me waver as it was probably the 31 I saw the most out of all of them followed by 31145. I wouldn't mind some of Imminghams petroleum and class 60 contingency pool locos though, used to see those at Charringtons Brownhills and Fort Dunlop a lot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1