Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

BR Dia. 1/227 'VIX' Ferry Van

rapidoandy

On 30/10/2022 at 17:37, jonhall said:

Well it would allow them to sell it to those foreign types if UK 1:120 bombs.

Jon

Good point Jon, and for once no disparity between UK scale and European scale.  An interesting concept with a TT DB class 216 or 218 hauling a mixed freight including VIXs. 

Ferry tubes next !!!!

Or actually blue Spanish Transfesas and JZ "hipped roof" vans

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Good point Jon, and for once no disparity between UK scale and European scale.  An interesting concept with a TT DB class 216 or 218 hauling a mixed freight including VIXs. 

Ferry tubes next !!!!

Or actually blue Spanish Transfesas and JZ "hipped roof" vans

There are already DB Hfs, and Tcefs and at least 2 interfrigo ferry vans available in HO.

The choice of 1:120 to match Europe is one of the few 'good' decisions about this from Hornby, there is the obvious potential to sell the Class 66 all over Europe, and the 'Dutch' version 08's, then the more recent exports like 56's, 86's, 92's, 37's, 20's seem possible although as TT tends to an Eastern European market the former that went to Hungary are probably more sensible than the latter that went to Spain and France, which as far as I know don't have big TT scenes. There are all sorts of options in the 'Cargowaggon' and ferry-tank field that have the potential to gain sales volume from selling to Europe as well as the UK, and with a handful of different types 'Modern' TT modelling becomes more practical. 

European sales have the potential to give a much faster return on Hornbys investment than pure UK, which might make the whole thing much more viable.

Jon

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Coming soon hopefully, hope to give an update when we have a firm date.

Are they on the Ferry?

(Serious head on)  The flying crate logo on the "Through the Continent by British Railways" version looks  a bit squashed in the vertical plane & elongated in the horizontal. Much like the doctored drawing part way down this page  https://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/4-rstock/04arstock9.htm  and referred to earlier in the thread.

Will 910003  (B787213) be delivered with a correctly proportioned flying crate (and without the end stanchions) or I'm I going to have to do some modelling?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Are they on the Ferry?

(Serious head on)  The flying crate logo on the "Through the Continent by British Railways" version looks  a bit squashed in the vertical plane & elongated in the horizontal. Much like the doctored drawing part way down this page  https://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/4-rstock/04arstock9.htm  and referred to earlier in the thread.

Will 910003  (B787213) be delivered with a correctly proportioned flying crate (and without the end stanchions) or I'm I going to have to do some modelling?

As far as I know, the production ones match the Warley samples pictured.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

As far as I know, the production ones match the Warley samples pictured.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like some modelling will be required.

Calling Mr Railtech...

Calling Mr Railtech...

177323430_FlyingCrateVIX-Sm.jpg.e98540f7348c903b616f8e4b8a28e9dc.jpg

23 hours ago, jonhall said:

I think this shows that quite well.

27/08/1974 - Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

Very nice. I looked through my photos and all with this livery appear to have the frame a similar colour to the body, but non were clean enough to be completely convincing. That one is! I think it is a Continental thing, the mainland Europe ferry vans tend to have frames painted the same as the body. 

Paul

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What's this... my fingers are itching.

A sure sign that the 1/227's have landed at Rapidoland UK H.Q. and will shortly be being introduced to the British Parcel & courier services distribution network.

Do my digits deceive me or should I continue to trust my itch?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

An update on the VIX deliveries.

Before you ask, no we are not planning to re-sell the erroneously-numbered vans, they are going on holiday for a while.

2023-2-VIX-Arrival.jpg.aacb4166eac5412e248918cb1864c0bf.jpg

Thanks for dealing with the problem rather than sweeping it under the carpet.

doh-291x300.gif

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Phone call from my LHS    Topp Trains of Stafford to advise ferry vans in stock.  Shot off over there to pick up my ordered 910001 (B786873) and 910003 (B787213).  

Unboxing tonight !!!

Thanks to Mike Steve and Jan at Topp Trains and Rapido UK of course 

• Like 2