RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Good to see that the website is flying along. I haven't seen it this fast for ages.

Congratulations on your efforts, Andy and team.

Indeed. The only thing not flying (for me) is the emoji which take ages to accept a click and ages again for the pop-up to clear. 

Not one of the big issues in life. Just a passing comment. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Indeed. The only thing not flying (for me) is the emoji which take ages to accept a click and ages again for the pop-up to clear. 

Not one of the big issues in life. Just a passing comment. 

The old emoji set was IMHO a better defined set.

This lot, although I believe an industry standard, has far too many variations, some hard to decipher.

I'm using a large PC screen. What are they like on a 'phone?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

This lot, although I believe an industry standard, has far too many variations, some hard to decipher.

Dreadful if truth be told.  I use an iPhone and a Mac desktop; nothing to pick between them.  They are equally bad.  

Yes I preferred to old set though wasn't quite sure about some of them.  These ..... I use them because it's what we have and because they convey messages which cannot be transmitted by text alone through cyberspace.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

I'll second that, most of the current set are rather vague, I preferred the previous version. Not a big issue I know, but perhaps something that can be sorted down the line a little.

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Terrible. :)

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's about 10 days or more for me without any new image updates which is very disappointing.

Has anybody had any new image updates uploaded in that time.

Andy, can you show a log of which attachment blocks have been uploaded so I can check off against my missing list?

Best

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

It's about 10 days or more for me without any new image updates which is very disappointing.

Has anybody had any new image updates uploaded in that time.

Andy, can you show a log of which attachment blocks have been uploaded so I can check off against my missing list?

Best

To be blunt - No. Andy isn't around at the moment, but I know he has been in touch with the hosting company to see if they can provide more detail on how the restoration is going. I'm afraid that the only option right now is patience.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/04/2022 at 12:25, Moonter said:

Some more digging has revealed that invisioncic.com is categorised as "Miscellaneous or Unknown" by ZScaler (the proxy that my employer uses). This category is blocked. I have filled out a ZScaler form to say that I think this categorisation is incorrect but have no idea if this will have an effect.

ZScaler have recategorized content-eu.invisioncic.com from "Miscellaneous or Unknown" to "Other Information Technology".

This latter category is obviously permitted by my employer's policy as I can reach it and RMweb now renders correctly. So my productivity is now going to decrease.

I hope this is useful to anyone else who has to suffer from using ZScaler.

Gary

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Moonter said:

ZScaler have recategorized content-eu.invisioncic.com from "Miscellaneous or Unknown" to "Other Information Technology".

This latter category is obviously permitted by my employer's policy as I can reach it and RMweb now renders correctly. So my productivity is now going to decrease.

I hope this is useful to anyone else who has to suffer from using ZScaler.

Gary

No idea what ZScaler is (presumably a host of some kind) but I am still not getting email notifications using AOL, and as far as I can tell there is no way I can change any settings regarding it either, I’ve dug around in all the preferences of my AOL email but came up empty, so I have to just log in and see if anything has been updated manually.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I had a check through my missing attachments last night. No new month blocks have arrived in the past week.  However the site as a whole is now running reeally well.

Jamie

I haven't looked.  I am slowly trying to restore images to the current layout thread which isn't too hard because the posts were also made to the Your Model Railway Club site meaning I can readily identify what goes where.  

The rest should either restore over time (Penhayle Bay or other layout / information topics) or be of little consequence in the scheme of things (such as ERs).  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

I haven't looked.  I am slowly trying to restore images to the current layout thread which isn't too hard because the posts were also made to the Your Model Railway Club site meaning I can readily identify what goes where.  

The rest should either restore over time (Penhayle Bay or other layout / information topics) or be of little consequence in the scheme of things (such as ERs).  

The easiest wayis to work from My attachments.  If you click on the topic field on the right it takes you straight to the post that needs the image adding.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The easiest wayis to work from My attachments.  If you click on the topic field on the right it takes you straight to the post that needs the image adding.

I figured I'll just ignore things until the banner at the top disappears at some point. If I've got any missing images by then I'll look in to re-uploading them. I didn't have all that many anyway.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I've been doing the post June 21 attachments (it's not just photos, other attachments such as pdfs also need to be reloaded.

Most posts have been done back to August, unfortunately a lot of my images were just "image.jpg" or "image.png" or "Screenshotxxx.jpg" etc. and being a lazy b*gger I didn't make copies, so unless I know exactly what they were, they can't be re-uploaded.☹️

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Well, I have just spent (wasted?) a couple of hours flogging through the last couple of weeks postings on this thread.

My conclusion is that there are a large number of people using RMWeb, who need to either get out more (Covid restrictions now allow this!), or get on with the Railway Modelling hobby that at the end of the day this is all about.

Most of the contributors moaning on and on at Andy and others, have IMHO a higher opinion of the importance and worth to the rest of the community of their pictures than is really the case!

Where are all the people moaning that they can't access photos etc. on particular threads which is preventing them solving a modelling problem?

The above is written without wanting to upset anyone, but to try to bring a bit of sense of proportion to proceedings, and to allow the Moderators to get on with the job of restoring order to RMWeb, without too many distractions.

Come on Guys, remember, if they could cure it all in an instant, they would. On the whole no one wants constant hassle, and unhappy users.

So our resolution should be:-

If inclined to moan to Andy, stop and think, is this giving me or those who read my thread difficulty, or is it just my ego getting in the way? Then STOP, wait a couple of days, and then ask oneself, is the problem still as important?

Maybe then, the number of queries to Andy  and Co will decrease, and more time can be spent solving the REAL problems?

Just a thought!

Cheers

Paul 

Superb summary IMO.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

image.png.bf65089e2fb12d7cb4f2209c367f37ac.png

Reminds me of a major software update on our accounts software/ERP once, shot up to 98% in an hour and then sat there for three days….the release notes had been clear about not interrupting it….it was just luck I had chosen the afternoon before good Friday to implement it!!!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Well, I have just spent (wasted?) a couple of hours flogging through the last couple of weeks postings on this thread.

My conclusion is that there are a large number of people using RMWeb, who need to either get out more (Covid restrictions now allow this!), or get on with the Railway Modelling hobby that at the end of the day this is all about.

Most of the contributors moaning on and on at Andy and others, have IMHO a higher opinion of the importance and worth to the rest of the community of their pictures than is really the case!

Where are all the people moaning that they can't access photos etc. on particular threads which is preventing them solving a modelling problem?

The above is written without wanting to upset anyone, but to try to bring a bit of sense of proportion to proceedings, and to allow the Moderators to get on with the job of restoring order to RMWeb, without too many distractions.

Come on Guys, remember, if they could cure it all in an instant, they would. On the whole no one wants constant hassle, and unhappy users.

So our resolution should be:-

If inclined to moan to Andy, stop and think, is this giving me or those who read my thread difficulty, or is it just my ego getting in the way? Then STOP, wait a couple of days, and then ask oneself, is the problem still as important?

Maybe then, the number of queries to Andy  and Co will decrease, and more time can be spent solving the REAL problems?

Just a thought!

Cheers

Paul 

Amen to that.

I too think that a sense of perspective is called for here.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

what was obviously a joke Andy.

I knew you'd fail to see a similar one, even with a smiley to make it obvious.

• Friendly/supportive 4