RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

my 1Tb of Onedrive storage is also backed up on a physical 2Tb NAS drive - I don't trust nobody 🤣

What I was aiming for but instead of going (1) - (2) - (3) as above stupidly started down the route of (2) - (1) - (3) with my Documents folder. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

34% of the cloud market, next is Azure (Microsoft) with 21% and Google third with a lowly 11%.

I think AWS can be trusted to keep back ups safe.

As long, of course, as Invision have opted for it.................ooops sorry Andy we forgot to tick the back up box when applying for the cloud space.

I thought AWS was closing?

Screenshot_20230315-131804.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, john new said:

A big word of warning to icloud users (Onedrive may be the same). IT IS NOT an external hard drive independent of your local disc. Sadly I had thought it was due to inadequate research.

In moving some stuff around recently to free up machine space I have lost a mass of MSWord data. What I should have done was (1) copy off to a local external hard disc then  (2) delete from the main disc and finally (3) clear the caches etc. 

I have just found out the hard way that icloud only mirrors your local disc storage - doing step (2) first because you think it is safely in the cloud is a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily all the really important stuff like my photo archive wasn't what I'd culled and is also backed up elsewhere but a big junk of stuff I will miss wasn't. The 30 day restore from deletion buffer had also been cleared before realising my mistake.

I know many folks who've done this, just for once I think this is an area where even more, less subtle warnings about the consequences of one's actions by the software would be appropriate; many don't understand / are unaware of the huge difference between 'backup' and 'sync'. - and 'sync' tends to be the default.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 15/03/2023 at 09:12, john new said:

A big word of warning to icloud users (Onedrive may be the same). IT IS NOT an external hard drive independent of your local disc. Sadly I had thought it was due to inadequate research.

In moving some stuff around recently to free up machine space I have lost a mass of MSWord data. What I should have done was (1) copy off to a local external hard disc then  (2) delete from the main disc and finally (3) clear the caches etc. 

I have just found out the hard way that icloud only mirrors your local disc storage - doing step (2) first because you think it is safely in the cloud is a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily all the really important stuff like my photo archive wasn't what I'd culled and is also backed up elsewhere but a big chunk of stuff I will miss wasn't. The 30 day restore from deletion buffer had also been cleared before realising my mistake.

If I delete stuff locally, OneDrive prompts me whether to also also delete it remotely or whether I want to keep it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MarkSG said:

If I delete stuff locally, OneDrive prompts me whether to also also delete it remotely or whether I want to keep it.

It doesn't do that for me but there is a recycle bin in OneDrive. We've had more problems with accidentally saving an altered file (although if one of our computers is offline at the time we can get round it) - version history doesn't always work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

It doesn't do that for me but there is a recycle bin in OneDrive. We've had more problems with accidentally saving an altered file (although if one of our computers is offline at the time we can get round it) - version history doesn't always work.

Actually, having had a look, it's specifically a notification about mass local deletions - if that option is enabled in the settings, it will notify you if it detects a large number of local deletions and give you the option to override the automatic cloud deletion. That's aimed at the scenario referred to earlier, where someone loses a lot of data due to a local deletion without realising it will also delete from the cloud. If you just delete a single file (or a small number) you won't get a notification, but you will if you delete a lot of them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

SOME "MISSING" PHOTOS NOT LOST AFTER ALL!

I made an interesting discovery regarding some lost photos which may be useful to anyone daunted by the task of reinstating their images or someone like me keen to see a lost image. This seems to apply to photos which have been later recovered but not reconnected into their original post. As I got what I needed I've not explored more widely as to the scope of photos in this category.

Bit late to the "party" I know but just stumbled across this looking for an old lost photo, on @St Enodoc's topic. The original is no longer in his post but when I did a topic search I got this!

743968070_RMWebSearch.jpg.b1d7d3315bde15c574986e40a92a0a2d.jpg

Click on a thumbnail and voila.

18102917_Lostphotorecovered.jpg.e5371c339e5dc209c009dacbda56fc31.jpg

not only that but the arrow shows you can work through all the photos of that post available still in full size. Presumably a simple save or capture would do to get precious photos you can no longer find OR those posted by someone else into your topic.

Very handy indeed I suspect.

Edited by BWsTrains
Title + udated
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 2

32 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Is that dependant on the image being named in a way that the search facility locates it or did it find it by association with the post containing the search term?

Alan

I assume the latter as the two searches I did turned up groups of photos associated with their posts and no other photos or no less either.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My solution is to not bother storing anything on RM save for the very infrequent post/visits made and certainly nothing I may require to refer to.

I'm still trying to find all the lost photos and text documents that I had previously saved.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barnaby said:

My solution is to not bother storing anything on RM save for the very infrequent post/visits made and certainly nothing I may require to refer to.

That's just good practice regardless - never rely entirely on any web service to store your data, always keep your own local copies. That applies doubly so if it's one you're not paying for...

• Agree 7