RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

23 hours ago, 57xx said:

What is this modern witchcraft you speak of? Disk drives when I started building PCs were MFM and RLL. You had to manually set the number of heads, platers and cylinders in the BIOS after looking the config up in the manual.

I remember that, always a pain when the CMOS battery went flat and you lost the BIOS settings :-(

I remember also working the EDS60(?) disk packs with ICL 2900 mainframe computers, where - for maximum access efficiency - you tried to get related data in IDMS databases stored in the same 'cylinder' of the various platters, so that there was no need to move the heads between reading the index on one platter and finding the data on another. It was all theoretical, in that there was no way to tell what was actually happening once the discs were spinning - but the concept impressed the boss :-)

• Like 1

More or less on topic, ever since the Dodgiserve incident, I have been unable to access the Layout topics section, no matter how I approach it. I can only access topics that I follow via the notifications.

What I get every time I go to the layout topics section is this:

_20220512_224449.png.4a89040bcbd3f705c94c06fc116a3356.png

It may be a glitch that only occurs if viewing on an android phone.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

More or less on topic, ever since the Dodgiserve incident, I have been unable to access the Layout topics section, no matter how I approach it. I can only access topics that I follow via the notifications.

No problem on my Motorola phone using chrome

(Pages do get obliterated by ads though, making it unusable.)

Much better with Firefox. Tried it both signed in and as guest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I can confirm getting this problem with the "Layouts" section on Android Chrome phone, whereas on the laptop all is well both with Chrome and Edge.

(not that I would normally browse the site through the forum hierachy, the activity streams seem a much easier way).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Would these posts not be better off here: 

This topic is for missing images after the move to Invision .....

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that and navigating the forums is being a bit of a problem.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/05/2022 at 15:16, Compound2632 said:

Image restoration, from my first posting in mid-2016 I'm currently seeing month blocks restored including Dec 16, Nov 17, Mar, Oct-Nov 18, Feb 19, Aug, Oct, Dec 19, May, Dec 20, May 21 - about 20% of months. I haven't been checking systematically, so can't say when these were restored or if any are recent additions.

No change on this.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

This is new.

Ad Version.png

It's the start of the process for testing the low-cost ad-free version which will be launched shortly so that users can tell which version they have and also to maybe minimise the number of "why am I getting ads?" messages/emails that I get.

What you'll want to see is...

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
Just now, john new said:

Will existing Gold with the WoR add one become Premium?

Gold became World of Railways Plus with the mag access etc a while back.

Premium is Gold without the mags etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I have a Gold account and I was seeing the "Ad version" banner. Realised it might be related to the Theme so changed to "RMWeb Gold" theme (not sure why it wasn't set to that already) and I now have a Gold banner and other gold elements.

The banner being tied to the theme not the account status might cause some confusion.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The banner being tied to the theme not the account status might cause some confusion.

Andy said it's all still being installed/tested. It's not possible to make an instant change across the entire site without taking the site offline while you do it.

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Andy said it's all still being installed/tested. It's not possible to make an instant change across the entire site without taking the site offline while you do it.

Martin.

Just providing feedback.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There are of course some ads that you'd want to see, or as an advertiser want to be seen.

For example any ads for Model railway products or services, or for exhibitions.

I know Andy has this flavour in hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Kylestrome said:

Is yellow the new silver? 

It's Daffodil. I was going to go for Plum.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's the start of the process for testing the low-cost ad-free version which will be launched shortly so that users can tell which version they have and also to maybe minimise the number of "why am I getting ads?" messages/emails that I get.

What you'll want to see is...

image.png

Andy

I only dip into this thread from time to time so please excuse me if this is covered above.

I've just looked at the banner I'm seeing and it is showing Ad version although I'm currently a Gold member.

You may recall the problems that I've had trying to read BRM off-line (basically, I can't with Gold membership).

I'm happy to revert to buying BRM separately so that I can read it off-line but I'd still like to continue to support RMweb, preferably without the Ads. I would miss my free show ticket but I can live with that.

Is that an option?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ray H said:

I've just looked at the banner I'm seeing and it is showing Ad version although I'm currently a Gold member.

Thanks for that, that bid needs some work still but if you go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes you should be able to select RMweb Gold.

3 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I'd still like to continue to support RMweb, preferably without the Ads.

I'll try and drop you a message on Wednesday Ray when I've cleared some other bits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

Is yellow the new silver? 

7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's Daffodil. I was going to go for Plum.

Let's guess - with a border of "split milk"?

OK - perhaps not. That sort of Premier Line hasn't been around for years ... .

(Ever get the impression I happen to like the traditional LNWR carriage livery?)

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 3

Something odd. I replaced the images on the page below after the outage, but when I looked at it just now the graphics were just a broken link, but nevertheless the images were still attached to the post, so I just had to delete the broken links and hit insert again. Don't know if this is an artifact of the image restoration, bit awkward if it is. Doesn't seem to have happened to any of my other blog entries though.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/25015-rhymney-railway-k-class-0-6-2st0-6-2pt/

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3