RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Gold

Please accept my apologies if this has been established further up the thread, but I am hoping to restore my 'albums', with the following method:

(1) Create new duplicate album with slight variation in name.

(2) 'Hide' original albums with missing images.

(3) Up-load all relevant images to these new duplicate albums, including ones not lost.

However, will the web-site permit images to be up-loaded when the file-name 'exists' (if only as a grey square) already elsewhere in a different folder/album?

I am doing this because, if I remember correctly, one can not 'delete' things, but only 'Hide'.  Does this method sound practicable?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, C126 said:

Please accept my apologies if this has been established further up the thread, but I am hoping to restore my 'albums', with the following method:

(1) Create new duplicate album with slight variation in name.

(2) 'Hide' original albums with missing images.

(3) Up-load all relevant images to these new duplicate albums, including ones not lost.

However, will the web-site permit images to be up-loaded when the file-name 'exists' (if only as a grey square) already elsewhere in a different folder/album?

I am doing this because, if I remember correctly, one can not 'delete' things, but only 'Hide'.  Does this method sound practicable?

You can delete your images when editing the post in the topic. Just delete the thumbnails at the bottom of the post.  I kept  all my original file names witbout any problems.  The missing images show as a blank thumbnail when you edit the post.  You also need to delete the link in the body of the text either before or after you i sert the new image.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

You can delete your images when editing the post in the topic. Just delete the thumbnails at the bottom of the post.  I kept  all my original file names witbout any problems.  The missing images show as a blank thumbnail when you edit the post.  You also need to delete the link in the body of the text either before or after you i sert the new image.

Jamie

@jamie92208 Thanks for such a quick reply.  But can you do this when the images are in albums?  I was worried you have to 'Hide' and must use a new file-name.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, C126 said:

@jamie92208 Thanks for such a quick reply.  But can you do this when the images are in albums?  I was worried you have to 'Hide' and must use a new file-name.

I'm not sure about albums as all mine are just in normal thread posts.   Obviously you can only edit posts that you have made yourself.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned (I havn't trawled every message in this topic), but can the moderators now assure us that they are taking their own backups to offline storage and not relying on the  hosting provider as the only backups being taken?

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, PeteB said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned (I havn't trawled every message in this topic), but can the moderators now assure us that they are taking their own backups to offline storage and not relying on the  hosting provider as the only backups being taken?

It's taken care of via Invision's AWS cloud storage.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I'm now printing out paper copies of everything in triplicate. One copy in a fireproof safe, one copy sent to the ISS, and one for looking at. My wife thinks I'm over reacting.

Only if you're wearing a tinfoil hat whilst doing it...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I'm now printing out paper copies of everything

Lightweight. I'd have had you down for engraving it on plasticard.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

One thing that has happened recently is that some threads and photographs take ages to download. I'm not sure whether it is the site or my computer.

Edited by PhilJ W
Fat finger syndrome
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Although with professionals it shouldn’t happen after making a c*** *p of my own this weekend a tinge of sympathy. 24GB now reloading into icloud after I thought I had accidentally deleted it.

• Friendly/supportive 6

On 13/03/2023 at 19:29, AY Mod said:

It's taken care of via Invision's AWS cloud storage.

Can you assure that is NOT the same company that is hosting the website?  It is vital that all the eggs are not in one basket again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Can you assure that is NOT the same company that is hosting the website?  It is vital that all the eggs are not in one basket again.

Since AWS is short for Amazon Web Services, there's 2 different companies mentioned in the bit you quoted. Can Andy go back to running the site now?

Gary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, PeteB said:

You seem to be making some fairly strident demands having found that images were missing in one topic you are interested in whilst overlooking what took place 9-12 months ago which has affected many more people over much wider usage.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, PeteB said:

If we can’t trust AWS to keep our data safe then we’re all in big trouble. They know that their business would die instantly if there was any suggestion that they had lost any customer data.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

If we can’t trust AWS to keep our data safe then we’re all in big trouble. They know that their business would die instantly if there was any suggestion that they had lost any customer data.

34% of the cloud market, next is Azure (Microsoft) with 21% and Google third with a lowly 11%.

I think AWS can be trusted to keep back ups safe.

As long, of course, as Invision have opted for it.................ooops sorry Andy we forgot to tick the back up box when applying for the cloud space.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, john new said:

Although with professionals it shouldn’t happen after making a c*** *p of my own this weekend a tinge of sympathy. 24GB now reloading into icloud after I thought I had accidentally deleted it.

A big word of warning to icloud users (Onedrive may be the same). IT IS NOT an external hard drive independent of your local disc. Sadly I had thought it was due to inadequate research.

In moving some stuff around recently to free up machine space I have lost a mass of MSWord data. What I should have done was (1) copy off to a local external hard disc then  (2) delete from the main disc and finally (3) clear the caches etc. 

I have just found out the hard way that icloud only mirrors your local disc storage - doing step (2) first because you think it is safely in the cloud is a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily all the really important stuff like my photo archive wasn't what I'd culled and is also backed up elsewhere but a big chunk of stuff I will miss wasn't. The 30 day restore from deletion buffer had also been cleared before realising my mistake.

Edited by john new
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, john new said:

A big word of warning to icloud users (Onedrive may be the same). IT IS NOT an external hard drive independent of your local disc. Sadly I had thought it was due to inadequate research.

In moving some stuff around recently to free up machine space I have lost a mass of MSWord data. What I should have done was (1) copy off to a local external hard disc then  (2) delete from the main disc and finally (3) clear the caches etc. 

I have just found out the hard way that icloud only mirrors your local disc storage - doing step (2) first because you think it is safely in the cloud is a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily all the really important stuff like my photo archive wasn't what I'd culled and is also backed up elsewhere but a big junk of stuff I will miss wasn't. The 30 day restore from deletion buffer had also been cleared before realising my mistake.

my 1Tb of Onedrive storage is also backed up on a physical 2Tb NAS drive - I don't trust nobody 🤣

• Like 3
  • Agree 7