Bachmann’s 32-487 and 32-487SF Class 40 D213

TravisM

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Very nice indeed - but the silver paint on the buffers highlights the fact that Bachmann really need to look more closely at the real thing!

CJI.

5 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Why? Matches the prototype as currently preserved

21 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

They may be silver, but they certainly don’t look like those on the Bachmann model. 

Roy

Ooh what a set of chunky buffers! Easily replaced, but you shouldn't have to.....

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Upon seeing those buffers, I had to do a double take as to whether we were looking at the Lima or Bachmann model! 

Oh dear - not unconvincing / unpainted red plastic housings, too?

How could this have happened?

CJI.

• Like 1

Received mine and yes buffers will be replaced (as I’ve done on all my Bachmann Class 40’s) but more annoying is the fact on mine they’ve only included half discs for one side of the small yellow panel/green section - well on mine anyways 🤬

A1FB1361-1833-45E3-B940-F93F5D3E44E4.jpeg.950d0738a01fd6ece0ef4b011540d080.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 47007stratford said:

Anyone recommend where to source decent replacement buffers for this loco 

I’ve been wondering that, was quite happy with my blue 40s, but now I have seen them in silver, I can’t stop seeing chunky black buffers. 

For starters, can anybody say what size buffers the prototype has please? Sprung loco buffers with more finesse are available as spares for locos like the 31, 50 etc. 

Thanks,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

20 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Upon seeing those buffers, I had to do a double take as to whether we were looking at the Lima or Bachmann model! 

...mmm...my first concern with a Bachmann class 40 would be to check the height of the bodyside against prototype dimensions. ISTR that in order to get their model to negotiate 1st radius curves on toy wheels with deep flanges they effectively made the bodyshell unusable as a scale model of the prototype by reducing its height to allow the wheels to clear the body. An accurate representation of a class 40 needs a Lima body on Bachmann or Lima bogies.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 47007stratford said:

Anyone recommend where to source decent replacement buffers for this loco 

I did read a modelling article some time ago that the oval buffers as fitted on the Hornby Class 50 were an easy/cost effective replacement for the Bachmann Class 40.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, Cradley Bridge said:

Received mine and yes buffers will be replaced (as I’ve done on all my Bachmann Class 40’s) but more annoying is the fact on mine they’ve only included half discs for one side of the small yellow panel/green section - well on mine anyways 🤬

The same thing  handed with mine. 3 yellow/green (as above) and 1 green/yellow. I just ended up putting full open white discs on both ends. 

34 minutes ago, Tiddles47 said:

The same thing  handed with mine. 3 yellow/green (as above) and 1 green/yellow. I just ended up putting full open white discs on both ends. 

I ended up repainting one as I wanted different disc codes at each end - annoying but fixable 🙄 

0290BE5B-4D78-457A-B783-ADB599BAA6F4.jpeg

5D8032F4-4999-419D-AEFA-A995BF93DEAF.jpeg

As regards replacement buffers I’ve used Hornby Class 50 buffers on all my 40’s, however they seem to be unavailable at the moment, so I’m trying some Class 31 buffers for size!

Edited by Cradley Bridge
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If the buffers can be removed easily, just sand the buffer heads thinner starting with 200 or 300 grit wet and dry paper and then refining with 500, 800, 1000 grit. 

I wouldn’t settle for chunky buffers on my locomotive. Shouldn’t be allowed!

• RMweb Gold

One thing that’s noticeable about the Bachmann class 40 is that even though the windscreens are a little too small, the glazing itself is a lot better executed than on the new 37. I really ummed and ahhed before Shawplanning my retooled 40s because of it.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

...mmm...my first concern with a Bachmann class 40 would be to check the height of the bodyside against prototype dimensions. ISTR that in order to get their model to negotiate 1st radius curves on toy wheels with deep flanges they effectively made the bodyshell unusable as a scale model of the prototype by reducing its height to allow the wheels to clear the body. An accurate representation of a class 40 needs a Lima body on Bachmann or Lima bogies.

BeRTIe

I think the short body side issue only applies to the original Bachmann 40 (circa 2001?). The current version introduced around 2013 of which this is an updated version is I believe nearer to scale. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Out of all the available and forthcoming options at the moment, the Bachmann is the best one. It needs lowering (about 0.75mm-0.8mm if I recall correctly) and there's other improvements you can do, but it is basically correct in its main proportions, and most of  the differences within the class are well portrayed. I'm definitely going to work on some more examples soon until one done to modern standards is released.

image.png.a5b5f54219bc231d400620db2d3da799.png

• Like 6

On 26/08/2023 at 13:00, 97406 said:

Out of all the available and forthcoming options at the moment, the Bachmann is the best one. It needs lowering (about 0.75mm-0.8mm if I recall correctly) and there's other improvements you can do, but it is basically correct in its main proportions, and most of  the differences within the class are well portrayed. I'm definitely going to work on some more examples soon until one done to modern standards is released.

image.png.a5b5f54219bc231d400620db2d3da799.png

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Class 40 is on Accurascales "To Do" list some time in the future.

Having seen the recently released 40 mock up from KR models, I'm not convinced by this, although TBF they're pre production photographs.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 26/08/2023 at 10:45, BR traction instructor said:

BeRTIe

Comparing my Bachmann (2014 retool) vs Lima, the Lima has a lot going for it (I see why I kept it!). Indeed the body sides are at least 0.5mm taller. It sits better on the bogies and the molded bogie relief is vastly superior. I do wonder if Bachmann look at the older models sometimes just to compare them and make sure they don't loose any strong points the older one has.

But I do like my Bachmann 40, it has been sound fitted and captures the whistler sound perfect with it's deep throaty noise (I forget whose sound file it was), is very heavy (like a Heljan) with great lighting features etc...

10_01.jpg

40_02.jpg

40_03.jpg

40_04.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

On 25/08/2023 at 21:29, Cradley Bridge said:

Having recently bought a new disc headcode class 20, the lights tend to shine through the the yellow half disks is it the same for this?

Ordered a model of Andania for my brother last week and it arrived less than 24 hours later (thank you Rails of Sheffield). The quality of the model is what we have come to expect from Bachmann (very good indeed) and, after the appropriate running-in on my rolling road, it can haul at least 10 bogie carriages.

Also this informative documentary on the Class 40 has been recently uploaded:

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased D213 myself yesterday from the cracking Stafford Model Railway Exhibition, first off the model looks stunning! it really is a massive improvement on previous Bachmann 40 offerings. Then however the problems started! I also purchased a Class 40 DCC Sound chip from LegomanBiffo with the intention of fitting it myself. I checked out the instructions & saw there are 8 screws to remove to release the body, so out came the precision screwdrivers. In over an hour of faffing about I only managed to successfully remove 4 of the 8 screws! the other other 4 just would not come out no matter how much I turned the screwdriver. So after all that I gave up, put the 4 screws I'd taken out back in & the loco is heading off to Bachmann's repair team to have the chip fitted & the screws looked at. I've always been so cautious with Bachmann models as they insist on those horrible screws that are buried so far up in the body that you can't even see if you're having any effect with a screwdriver, I hope if anyone from Bachmann reads this thread they can take on board examples from other manufacturers & either make the screws longer so you can actually see what you're doing instead of poking a screwdriver around in the black hole of Calcutta! or ditch them altogether in favour of bodyside clips which seem to work for everyone else.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1