Rapido Trains UK celebrates the 50th birthday of the Leyland National – with all new model

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Legend said:

Awe no a Northern one going to Sacriston , where my Aunty lived .  But £41.95 eek . Question is should I wait to see if it finds its level  as I think we are still saturated with diecast buses . Think I'll wait .   

Odd destination — service 55 was Newcastle-Middlesbrough, and almost invariably Routemaster-worked. The service stuck in my mind as my local service in Gateshead was also 55 (Saltwell Park Circular—later numbered 53 and 54 when the previous terminating services with those numbers were withdrawn and all the buses on the routes became circulars).

In the early 1970s the PTE removed the duplicate numbers by introducing a unified set of numbers. Durham area services became 7xx, but the 55 wasn't one of them as it was replaced by extending service X1 from Durham to Middlesbrough — although this service was worked by United. In recent times Arriva divided the service at Durham…

Hopefully one day they will do a 11351/1R with the short roof pod to enable one of United’s earlier Nationals to be accurately modelled for the first time, although I am told United’s crews preferred the Bristol RE and regarded it as a far superior vehicle. United carried on buying REs right up to the end of RE production and didn’t take their first Nationals until 1976.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Odd destination — service 55 was Newcastle-Middlesbrough, and almost invariably Routemaster-worked. The service stuck in my mind as my local service in Gateshead was also 55 (Saltwell Park Circular—later numbered 53 and 54 when the previous terminating services with those numbers were withdrawn and all the buses on the routes became circulars).

In the early 1970s the PTE removed the duplicate numbers by introducing a unified set of numbers. Durham area services became 7xx, but the 55 wasn't one of them as it was replaced by extending service X1 from Durham to Middlesbrough — although this service was worked by United. In recent times Arriva divided the service at Durham…

Cheers Nimbus . I dont know any of the routes , just the places .  In the early 70s we used to visit relations dotted about the North East which is how I came across Northern in the Sacriston , Witton Gilbert, Langley Park, Lanchester area.  I had an Aunt that lived up the hill in Esh and that was United territory, along with another Aunt and Uncle in Redcar which was very definitely United . 

• RMweb Premium
On 25/04/2022 at 13:12, ian said:

In the mid seventies the NBC corporate livery for single deck buses changed.

Previously the standard was poppy red/leaf green all over with white fleetnames and white double-N logo either side just behind the doors at cove panel height with silver legal lettering (and normally fleet numbers) and grey wheels.

The new standard incorporated a white band below the windows a change to the double N which was now red and blue on a white square, A smaller double N was positioned on the front panel.

Whilst NBC HQ did try to enforce the rules, they couldn't be everywhere so variations did appear.

After the original LNs, LCBS notably asked Leyland to paint the white stripe pretty much from the outset but Leyland refused, so the white stripe was added by Reigate garage on delivery. Some escaped to their allocated garage without it being added though.

31 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

After the original LNs, LCBS notably asked Leyland to paint the white stripe pretty much from the outset but Leyland refused, so the white stripe was added by Reigate garage on delivery. Some escaped to their allocated garage without it being added though.

Similarly when Scottish Omnibuses reluctantly took SBG's first Nationals in 1977 (at a time when there an 18 month backlog of new deliveries of preferred types) they had to take them in plain green and add the cream relief themselves.

Another vote for the United Counties livery.  My father was a driver for UCOC and was based at the Luton depot in Castle Street.  He retired in 1985, just a few months before the company was split up.

I’ve attached a couple of photos from his send off at the depot (sorry about the quality - they’re photos of not very good photos) which I hope you can make out.  The first was taken in the depot and shows our old Ford Cortina with the NBC Corporate ‘flag’ draped across it and various gifts on top.  There is a Bristol VR to the right.  The second shows two cakes in the form of Leyland Nationals that were presented to him.  I’m sure the Rapido version will be more accurate though probably not as tasty!

IMG_20220429_133028890_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220429_133526890_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

Just found this group - the Leyland National is an all time favourite and I hope that Rapido make good use of this new tooling and make all the different variations in 10.3m and 11.3m lengths; so much to choose from as the preceding comments show. Here are a few that I would like to see:

London Country LN13 | Garston Garage, Watford | Keith Wood | Flickr

Harrow Buses LS325 | Harrow Town Centre | Keith Wood | Flickr

London Forest LS76 | Romford Market, 1986 | Keith Wood | Flickr

Preserved NBC JMY 120N Apr17 | Cobham, spring gathering, Apr… | Flickr

Preserved Merseyside PTE 6036 Sep19 | Pier Head, Liverpool, … | Flickr

Preserved SYPTE 22 Aug21 | Olive Grove open day, Aug 2021 | Flickr

These are a few that I have snapped over the years, however my top of the list want would be a LCBS Superbus example. I hope that Rapido won't be put off from doing this livery despite EFE announcing their version.

With some initial wrong reports (I got an email from one seller claiming it was a new tooling from EFE) the EFE one is simply the old not that brillant tooling so the Rapido one will be lights years ahead. The EFE model in anycase is a Mk1 dual door 11.3m version so plenty of alternatives for Rapido without being a direct duplicate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Leyland National'tastic...

Wonderful stuff! 

Hopefully Rapido can produce some of Loughton's National's at some point.

Cheers, 

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, a good article and includes a pic of one of the export Leyland Nationals that don't feature very often in print, its a shame that no one has taken up the challenge of producing a decent book on the LN - so much to learn about this vehicle type with so much to celebrate including its not insignificant export success(!).

Lets hope there is some more news soon on the progress of the Rapido mould and what may be the initial model variation and liveries!

• 3 months later...
On 03/07/2022 at 20:47, busesrusuk said:

Yes, a good article and includes a pic of one of the export Leyland Nationals that don't feature very often in print, its a shame that no one has taken up the challenge of producing a decent book on the LN - so much to learn about this vehicle type with so much to celebrate including its not insignificant export success(!).

Lets hope there is some more news soon on the progress of the Rapido mould and what may be the initial model variation and liveries!

Beyond Reality by Doug Jack is a good book and has lots on the National.  Matthew Wharmby has also done a book on the ones in London,  again a good read.

I woyld be in the market for five versions.

A Crosville podless shortie to represent my teens

WMPTE DP livery and WMPTE plain cream and blue to represent my 80s pre dereg period. 

A Midland Red early 1980s plain red

Finallt the 1990s era Chase buses orange white and brown - probably a redecaled GMPTE livery. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am no expert on Nationals, but there have been at least three books published about them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leyland-National-Monographs-Stephen-Morris/dp/0711013934/ref=sr_1_11?crid=EPX18SSP9HM8&keywords=leyland+national&qid=1667298363&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjg5IiwicXNhIjoiMS43OCIsInFzcCI6IjEuOTYifQ%3D%3D&s=books&sprefix=leyland+national%2Cstripbooks%2C54&sr=1-11

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leyland-National-Buses-Colour/dp/190301672X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=EPX18SSP9HM8&keywords=leyland+national&qid=1667298480&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjg5IiwicXNhIjoiMS43OCIsInFzcCI6IjEuOTYifQ%3D%3D&s=books&sprefix=leyland+national%2Cstripbooks%2C54&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leyland-National-Peter-Horrex/dp/1445674629/ref=sr_1_1?crid=EPX18SSP9HM8&keywords=leyland+national&qid=1667298502&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjg5IiwicXNhIjoiMS43OCIsInFzcCI6IjEuOTYifQ%3D%3D&s=books&sprefix=leyland+national%2Cstripbooks%2C54&sr=1-1

I own the first by Stephen Morris, and based a college project on it.  Hope this is of interest.

Thanks, I'm aware of all those books but I don't believe anybody has tackled a definitive history of the type detailing al the variations made, the variety in production vehicles and particularly all those export orders that the type garnered.

Whilst the books mentioned have nice pictures it's the detailed history that I would like to see. I found a flickr site in which the owner has/had access to some previously unseen pictures (or at least I haven't seen them! before!) which gives an insight into the versatility of the design and the efforts made to gain more export orders - see here:

Ron McCullock | Flickr

As for wishes of liveries for Rapido to consider, I would like some of the more unusual liveries and one that springs to mind is a Jones of Aberbeeg 11.3m single door (as per their first casting announcement) in dual purpose NBC blue/white livery - there weren't many of them! pics here:

27664122340_6a86a66494_n.jpg

Along with a normal NBC blue one:

Jones

Would make a nice pair of an unusual NBC livery..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...