Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Mark 1 56ft 11" Suburban Coaches inn OO/4mm, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

but which frame length was more common, 57ft or 64ft under Mk1 non corridor coaches?

The 57’, by some margin!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just want to call out this one…

This is essential considering the increasing detail being added to models. So, with that challenge on board, we have come up with a fully removable magnetic roof!

How nice is that…

also noted the pickups to the roof, as well as stay alive and reed switch control.

its defintely got the toys.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Whilst not something that fits the Black Country 1968-93, they will be perfect for the tripcock 31s and for those doing steam in the 50s and 60s, and the price point for the level of detail is astonishing.  I must admit at first I thought "ooh, two thirds of a Class 304" but they are 7 ft too short for that...

Those luggage racks are a work of art.  Will the Mk2s have luggage racks?

Hi @wombatofludham,

The Mark 2 will indeed have them where appropriate. We do like to go to town on the interiors! 

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Just want to call out this one…

How nice is that…

also noted the pickups to the roof, as well as stay alive and reed switch control.

its defintely got the toys.

Hi @adb968008,

Thanks, @Islesy and the team have dropped some real innovation into these as well as items we have built into previous coach announcements. Lighting, interiors, capacitors, we like to put them all in there and magnetic roof for ease of access to install passengers was the next logical step. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Please can somebody confirm what the typical formation was for the Class 31 worked services out of Moorgate? I know there was obviously a brake coach and standard coaches, but were there any lavatory coaches or first class accommodation in the formation? Looking at photos I have found no evidence to suggest that there was.

Thanks,

Roy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Please can somebody confirm what the typical formation was for the Class 31 worked services out of Moorgate? I know there was obviously a brake coach and standard coaches, but were there any lavatory coaches or first class accommodation in the formation? Looking at photos I have found no evidence to suggest that there was.

Thanks,

Roy

Not sure if this will exactly help you, but the historical article on the coaches on Accurascale site mentions some typical stock formations further down the article on different routes: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/history-file-the-br-56ft-11-suburban-coaches

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I can't imagine that there'd be many more in the queue with you!

I think you'd be surprised.

Anyway, to me a properly 'flush glazed' coach is worth that sort of premium though I'm sure they could do it for less. On the other hand I'm not going to pay £65 for a coach with this kind of glazing. I'll stick to sticking brass sides on or building kits. 

Justin

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thanks,

Roy

Inner Suburban BS-S-S-S-BS at first, then S-S-BS-S-S, and finally S-S-S-BS-S-S

The Outer Suburban sets inlcuded some open vehicles and were formed of more coaches, but worked out of KX only,

@Fran - should the LMR BSs in Metrogauge be BTs to match the other Metrogauge stock?

Great announcement by the way, I've been meaning to get a set of Baccy ones, but I won't bother now!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Please can somebody confirm what the typical formation was for the Class 31 worked services out of Moorgate?

Depends on date and availability Roy, but here are some examples:

1960/64: BS-S-S-S-BS

1972/5: S-S-BS-S-S-S

The Lavatory stock was pretty much used on the longer runs, out to Cambridge etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Suitable diesel traction?

EE type 1

BTH type 1

NBL type 2

Baby Deltic 

Derby Sulzer type 2

BRCW type 2

Brush type 2

And that’s just south end of ECML suburban workings! Ideal for all those Minories layouts…. But nothing for Abbotswood, wallet says Phew! 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Further to the above, we have a blog which details the operational history of these coaches which may prove useful to those of you looking for operational areas and formations. We will look to put together a formation guide in due course too!

https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/history-file-the-br-56ft-11-suburban-coaches

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tim Dubya said:

You'll be needing those for Exmuff Branch services 😉

Nah, he needs a 14XX and a proper job push-pull trailer for his Seaton trains.  I wonder how many non-gangwayed Mk 1s  could be seen at the junction?  However I always thought that they looked rather spiffing in green so definitely worth a (not too long?) wait 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Good choice and beautiful detail. I await some 63' versions but not fussed if that is a step too many.

P

Hmm would be very good news too if that was to happen, not a difficult route modelling wise to build a 3H centre car for the 205 or for that matter 4-EPBs. 
Excellent news again from Accurascale, too far a stretch for my 1970s WR interests, but then again I do remember them rumbling into Kings cross looking decidedly ropey. I need the cash for my Siphon G rake as well.

Neil 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nah, he needs a 14XX and a proper job push-pull trailer for his Seaton trains.  I wonder how many non-gangwayed Mk 1s  could be seen at the junction?  However I always thought that they looked rather spiffing in green so definitely worth a (not too long?) wait 

There was an EX Central / Axminster & return Service in the Morning (for Schools and Commuters) and Saturdays for shoppers? Very Often a Spamcific working; I have a pic of a Packet on this job, running Tender first from Axminster! Such fun.

It was an Exmouth 5 Set + extras, if required.

There was a service return in the late afternoon, but that was an LMS Tank booked and Bulleid Set(s).

Sadly I have paid about 90£ for an old 3 Set from Replica and I have Kits for the extra SOs/COs.

Hey ho. 

I do have two Panniers for the replacement WR Autos and a crappy old Hornby 14XX for the couple of winter weeks in early 65(?) when they replaced the dead Bogcart.

Edited by Mallard60022
Remembered the name Replica.
  • Like 3

Regarding the prismatic effect in the glazing, I can't see how this can be avoided if the individual window is recessed on the inside surface. It seems to me, with my admittedly limited understanding of injection moulding, that the only way around it is to do away with the recess, which then makes the glazing thicker, which can bring its own problems with visible distortions. Of course, much depends on the thickness of the coach sides, but thinner sides can create their own issues where excess glazing adhesive has been applied, as evident in many Hornby Hawksworth coaches (I have a maroon Composite with the 'dimples').

Perhaps @Accurascale Fran could offer some enlightenment on dealing with the vagaries of clear plastic, assuming that no commercial secrets are given away.....😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thanks for feedback of formations - ordered the first three of what will be a six coach rake. 

@Accurascale FranOne thing I noticed after placing the order is that the 10% discount didn't get applied, so I don't know if you have a bug?

Thanks.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Odd, they should be working.

Email us your order no and we will look into it.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Halvarras said:

Regarding the prismatic effect in the glazing, I can't see how this can be avoided if the individual window is recessed on the inside surface. It seems to me, with my admittedly limited understanding of injection moulding, that the only way around it is to do away with the recess, which then makes the glazing thicker, which can bring its own problems with visible distortions. Of course, much depends on the thickness of the coach sides, but thinner sides can create their own issues where excess glazing adhesive has been applied, as evident in many Hornby Hawksworth coaches (I have a maroon Composite with the 'dimples').

Perhaps @Accurascale Fran could offer some enlightenment on dealing with the vagaries of clear plastic, assuming that no commercial secrets are given away.....😉

I'm sure someone somewhere discovered a way of really disguising the prismatic affect? Something to do with either painting the edges of the windows in the inserts, or using a varnish on the outside edges of each, or both?

Phil

• Like 2

Well I didn't see these coming. A/S have hit the nail on the head again

Not for me (I don't think) unless they ran on the Barmouth to Dolgellau service, but then I would need a WR pair anyway.

Best of luck chaps and looking forward to seeing them develop regardless of not needing them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well thats a nice surprise!!!

I see that some of these survive in preservation, does anyone know what heritage lines have them in use??

The SLO looks particularly unusual.

• Like 1