How will TT:120 differentiate itself from N, OO and 3mm scale?

whart57

People must have big tables.  My kitchen table takes a Kato V6 oval (a bit over 4th radius) in N gauge, with two additional 248mm straights.  This allows DP1 to run comfortably at full scale speed 😀. The curves on a TT oval to fit the space would be 2nd radius, I assume?

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject if houses getting smaller, many of us will be thinking about lining the inside of our exterior walls to improve insulation, probably about a 120mm-150mm layer of insulation and plasterboard. It could make sense with enervy prices going through the roof(somewhere else to insulate).

Robin

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 17/06/2022 at 21:27, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

For me one over-riding reason:  It is the only RTR British scale that has the correct track gauge/scale combination.  N, 00 and 0 are all out, to varying degrees.

I have always preferred N to 00 and for me life is too short for a bodger/kit/scratchbuild scale but I could look seriously at TT:120 as a side project.

cheers

Ben A.

You might 'Bodge' Ben, but 3mm modellers certainly don't!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/08/2022 at 18:07, Ravenser said:

And if British HO is to be a dead-scale option - then plonking down crude coarse over-scale Peco code 100 (as it seems is inevitable  with British HO) in a scale 7/8ths of 4mm blows any credibility attained by the scale gauge.

Many of the British H0 modellers (myself included) use Peco's Code 75 track. And some of those old rtr models can be hugely improved from the crude base with a bit of modelling - I'm reworking some Lima Mk1s (new DIY sides and bogies) and they come up a treat and don't break the bank. 

In the TT 1:120 world, there is a similar choice of track - Tillig and Hornby have opted for Code 80 rail which does look quite crude and chunky. Peco and Kühn's Code 55 track is much finer in appearance. 

I went for Kühn for my České Dráhy TT micro but if starting afresh would opt for Peco's 12mm track. 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Emmo said:

Sure, which is why I added the words 'kit/scratchbuild' too, as I rarely spend much time looking at 3mm layouts at shows as the vast majority appear to be steam orientated and therefore do not interest me greatly.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

On 01/01/2023 at 17:45, Emmo said:

I think that many thousands of TT 1:120 modellers - me included - might be affronted to hear that the products which we buy and the work that we produce is bodging!

IMG_20221212_150951_340.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, rekoboy said:

I think that many thousands of TT 1:120 modellers - me included - might be affronted to hear that the products which we buy and the work that we produce is bodging!

IMG_20221212_150951_340.jpg

Hi there,

If you are affronted it must be because you missed that I was very clearly *not* referring to TT120, but to British 3mm scale. 

Having said that, the word 'bodging' seems to have triggered a handful on here - I am intrigued to know why.  Isn't bodging a fine model railway tradition?  

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Having said that, the word 'bodging' seems to have triggered a handful on here - I am intrigued to know why.  Isn't bodging a fine model railway tradition?  

If Revolution Trains' models were described as being "bodged", I doubt you'd be thrilled.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

If you are affronted it must be because you missed that I was very clearly *not* referring to TT120, but to British 3mm scale. 

cheers

Ben A.

4 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Bodge definition:- make or repair (something) badly or clumsily

I cannot see anyone being proud of being described or accused of being a bodger.....

It’s a bit off topic, but I think @Revolution Ben’s question as to why use of the term ‘bodging’ is generating a reaction is a fair one, even if it went unnoticed at the time (June 2022).  Part of the reason, as explained here by @Jeff Smith, is that it can be taken as a pejorative term.  My guess is that’s what provoked a reaction from a very experienced 3mm Scale modeller.

On the other hand, I’d agree with Ben that ‘bodging’ has long been part of our hobby.  As a Narrow Gauge modeller with limited experience, I know I’ve intentionally described some of my own quick builds as ‘bodges’ to make it clear they’re just a bit of fun, or that I’ve taken a short cut I know about - and have lowered my expectations of the outcome correspondingly.

So I’d say it’s fine for me to call my own modelling ‘bodging’ when I want to, but in this era of fine details and very high standards, perhaps best avoided as a generalisation.  Hope that helps us get back on track, Keith.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I cannot see anyone being proud of being described or accused of being a bodger.....

Yes, but the complete phrase was "bodger/kit/scratchbuild scale" which, given the lack of RTR support, seems reasonable to me.  Unless you are disgruntled at the idea anyone working in 3mm could ever bodge anything?

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I've always argued bodging is an essential modelling skill. Doing things right first time is lovely, but sometimes things go wrong, and it's useful to be able to sort out the resulting mess without anyone noticing, a coat of paint hides many sins on many models!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Bodge is a strange word used about our own work in a self deprecating way but not received as humorous about someone else’s 😉

Many of us have saved the day at a show by bodging a fix, that usually lasts until it also fails 😆

The internet and context at odds again . . .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2023 at 02:16, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

cheers

Ben 

BEN,9 every word triggers some one somewhere! 

As for affronting the thousands of tt120 modelers as quoted by another post on this thread.....you instead affronted the 670 ish 3mm members!......don't worry it don't hurt my feelings (even as a 3mmer!)if others are upset they need to get a life!

ITS A TRAIN SET.....NOT LIFE AND DEATH.

Long live the bodgers

• Like 2

On 04/01/2023 at 12:41, Jeff Smith said:

Jumping back in here - it's blurring the line between clever adaptation, which I've heard described by  modellers as 'bodging', and quick and temporary repair, also described as bodging!

For a quick and temporary repair (using a paper clip as a coupling for example) I like the traditional and more elegant maritime term of "jury rigged". (possibly from the French jour, so a "jury rigged" mast was a mast "for a day" (in reality probably longer) until a new one could be stepped.) I don't know why bodging or bodger came to mean a botched job as it means not a job done badly but one done with the tools and materials immediately to hand. It comes from the bodgers assocated with the High Wycombe furniture trade who turned up chair legs etc. out in the woods where the timber they used was felled. They used simple tools, including a type of lathe, that they could carry with them but their work was highly skilled and anything but botched.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 04/01/2023 at 04:18, Jeff Smith said:

I have heard some very fine modellers describe themselves as "bodgers". Isn't self-deprecation part of being English?

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
On 15/01/2023 at 15:23, whart57 said:

I have heard some very fine modellers describe themselves as "bodgers". Isn't self-deprecation part of being English?

While nowhere near a fine modeller, I'm content (not quite proud) to call myself a bodger. I do what I can within the constraints of time, money, skill and especially patience. Ultimately (though I've put up some of my efforts on RMWeb) I do it for my own satisfaction and don't really care what others think. I'm even satisfied with the appearance of N and OO because I don't really notice scale / gauge compromises, as it is a representation, not the real thing. I look at some really fine layouts, what impresses me is the overall effect - a work of art. Equally I can look at 'train set' layouts and admire them for the operational opportunities and care and love put into making them.

I've been dipping into the TT120 threads as it intrigued me that UK TT was making a comeback - I always envied my school friends' Triang TT. Looking at the comparisons, I'm happy to stay with N (have too much money wrapped up in mine). Having dabbled in US and mainly German N I would find the German TT120 a nice alternative if starting from scratch again. Personally pacific locos don't appeal so I'd not jump at Hornby's current offerings. A Hall or N would be more my liking. With age as N becomes more frustrating, I shall return to OO as TT120 for me does not give the step up from N my eyes and fat fingers need!

PS I can remember adverts for P4, a Hornby Castle fitted with P4 wheels, lovely wheels but the rest of the loco comparable? No.

No offence intended to anyone, modelling is a spectrum, we all fit somewhere on it.

• Like 2

On 17/06/2022 at 22:17, whart57 said:

Open discussion on why TT:120 might attract modellers from neighbouring scales.

I expect from Hornby better availability and more diversity of Models in TT that what I can expect from N Gauge on the market exists. Also better Quality that Dapol N-Gauge Stuff.

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2023 at 19:22, britishcolumbian said:

It's been half a year since the announcement and they're complaining about the range being small... wow. 🙄

Hi there, I read Stefen’s comment the other way round: that he positively expects Hornby will deliver better availability and more diversity with TT than he currently experiences with N Gauge in the existing market.  From other posts I think Stefen is following TT in Germany, Keith.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 18:43, Stefen1988 said:

Im interested in Hornby's TT:120 Range und expect more than N-Gauge has to offer.

presumably eventually?

I'm making the move to TT, and have a pair of exhibition layouts planned.  Broken Scar will be UK outline and branch/industrial but there's not a lot of point in starting it until I have J94s at the very least- the big stuff from Hornby won't run round Radius 1 end turns.  So Bregstadt is being built first.  I get to build a TT layout which will be different to anything I've built so far (5 layouts 5 completely different to the one before so far) and I'm enjoying learning new skills, clearances etc. 

As Hornby and Peco bring out stuff on my wish list it can be aqcuired and tested through the Hornby and Peco pointwork on Bregstadt.  Eventually Hornby or maybe someone else will have produced what I need, either r-t-r or as bodyline kits-  I'm not up to building chassis any more, if I ever was.

Les

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1