Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The Class 89, By Accurascale With Rails of Sheffield

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ajax50046 said:

Question  on sound recording if anyone can answer. If there isn't an actual locomotive available to record the noises from - such as the 89, 22, or 30 - how do the sound engineers manage to get suitable audio from video/tape recordings to put into a sound chip? In most cases any audio will be from the loco passing with all the difficulties that must have. And what sort of editing/manipulation is required? I figure it must be quite a task. 

Sound recordings from the likes of old vinyl records from Argo Transacord etc. have been used before now. Suitably digitally cleaned up since.

IIRC, that's how the Rapido APT-E sound files were generated.

There were rumours of a sound recoding from a drag-racing truck fitted with a similar gas-turbine being offered, but not certain if that actually happened.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 60800 said:

I'd deliberately not bought one of the 37's as I kept the funds to one side for the 89. After today's announcement I popped into one of my local model shops (does York count as local for a Lincolnite?) and picked up a 37605. I then proceeded to Accurascale's website and put a deposit down on another Deltic 😅

Every cloud….

• Like 2

Well, I guess my Mk3s and HST surrogate DVT would stay in the shelves for now... off to fulfilling my Era 5 needs of finding a class 37...and maybe a class 31...and maybe the liverpool j69...and maaaybe the 5741 that was announced a few days ago...

On 18/11/2023 at 09:21, Islesy said:

Personally, I find tagging distasteful in posts such as this, especially in an ‘out of hours’ situation: a tag should be used as a personal reply to a posted question, or an expression of interest in a subject. It’s a question of respect really.

As has been pointed out, the latest updates can be found on the website. If a situation changes, then Social Media/Forum will be notified and the website updated with the new information.

As you often say yourself Squire 'sense of entitlement'

• Agree 2

On 29/11/2023 at 18:10, LaGrange said:

As you often say yourself Squire 'sense of entitlement'

says you.

out of hours is when? Some of us work seven days a week, 52 weeks of the year roster, so office hours are anytime. 

if you can point me in the direction of the rules for including a tag in a post, I’d appreciate it, as I don’t wish to cause offence to you self appointed (the irony given as you are saying I’m self entitled) policemen again.

I've never been in jail from a forum or social media, perhaps this will be a first. Just for asking a person if he could clarify regarding the sound recordings which was not mentioned on the posts on their website

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

In these days of social media and Discord servers tagging someone is not generally seen as an inherently bad thing, especially if you are asking a specific question. To boil it down to "a sense of entitlement" is far too much of a generalisation. Etiquette regarding tagging people varies across these online spaces, and also varies by the feelings of those being tagged. Some mind it, some don't. Might be an age thing? An attitude thing? Who knows. There is no one size fits all rule approach to tagging people.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

if you can point me in the direction of the rules for including a tag in a post, I’d appreciate it,

Fair enough it’s a more vague etiquette so there aren’t any rules but as Islesy, from Accurascale, has said above it’s considered rude by many so if you want some info it’s not the best way to get it by persisting with the argument involving more people. Like you I work hours all over the day and week but their office hours are Monday to Friday, anything outside that is at their personal discretion.

Note those who liked the comments about not tagging include the Accurascale guys so that probably accounts for the lack of other response.
I tagged Paul once for a valid reason which was less demanding of an answer but about content and he said he didn’t like it and would prefer pm’s we had a civil and friendly chat by pm and resolved it that way rather than in public. 

I answered your question on the previous page and what had caused the confusion, speculation up thread, McC confirmed it too later. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Well, as it’s deemed distasteful by management of Accurascale (I hadn’t noticed until now Islesy was a Manager at Accurascale) then I’m cancelling my order for the 89.

just for tagging in a post, total over the top.

I don't see what you did wrong...it certainly did not warrant the response(s) you have got, especially from AS. if i tag someone in its bring to their attention something I've written. Your tag was not rude, abusive, not did it demand a response or even acknowledgement, its up to the receiver of the tag to respond, they did in this instance but with something completely out of order.

Others have said go to the AS's website for project updates, fair enough but when it suits AS post on here, especially with project updates etc so asking for clarification or a more detailed update is surely acceptable, AS don't have to respond by the way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

I don't see what you did wrong...it certainly did not warrant the response(s) you have got, especially from AS. if i tag someone in its bring to their attention something I've written. Your tag was not rude, abusive, not did it demand a response or even acknowledgement, its up to the receiver of the tag to respond, they did in this instance but with something completely out of order.

Others have said go to the AS's website for project updates, fair enough but when it suits AS post on here, especially with project updates etc so asking for clarification or a more detailed update is surely acceptable, AS don't have to respond by the way.

I feel it comes with the territory. If you want to have a presence on this forum as a company then you need to expect that people will use its features. No one is expecting them to work out with their hours however people will use the feature. You can’t really have it both ways.

It’s a bit like giving us DCC operational pantographs and not expecting us to go “WOW” and play with them for half an hour after unboxing….. story from a friend.

Like us all I am also disappointed by the delays. I can’t help but think that it was obvious that the loco would not be ready in time to record and the fallback option of using historic recordings should have been spun up sooner to avoid such a long delay. Lessons to be learned I feel but Accurascale is still a young company. If this sort of thing keeps happening then yes it will be a factor when ordering in the future but only time will tell.

Edited by Br60066
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

out of hours is when? Some of us work seven days a week, 52 weeks of the year roster, so office hours are anytime. 

Just so it's clear; please don't go expecting or demanding a response from me outside working hours. I do, but not for anyone who expects they can.

Maybe other people feel the same too rather than you thinking you have a right to do so because you don't have time away from work.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Well, as it’s deemed distasteful by management of Accurascale (I hadn’t noticed until now Islesy was a Manager at Accurascale) then I’m cancelling my order for the 89.

just for tagging in a post, total over the top.

I completely get where you are coming from, but don't rush in. I've done that too many times.
Sleep on it, see how you feel. It's a model you want, and you may well regret cancelling it down the line.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Just so it's clear; please don't go expecting or demanding a response from me outside working hours. I do, but not for anyone who expects they can.

Maybe other people feel the same too rather than you thinking you have a right to do so because you don't have time away from work.

I have never demanded an immediate response from anyone during or outside any hours. A tag just highlights a question of someone or to highlight to someone that their attention may be helpful, where posts can get lost in the Myriad of other notifications. No more no less, no summonsing, no demanding, no shouting, nothing, we all have things going on inside and outside of work, and I’m sorry that this thread has been taken down this path, and I for one will not be adding any more further to the fire

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

There's a bit to unpack here.

Firstly, it was me that was tagged in the post, and apologies for not responding sooner. I've had a very busy month away from work with a house move and compassionate leave (when the query was put to me and I was tagged) which I promptly missed. I've not been on RMWeb as much as usual or as I would've liked and the notifications can build up fast as a result and get missed. I've just been on to post news and not go through threads as I would in my normal manner. This is what was been referred to as outside hours I believe. 

We shall endeavour to answer quicker and faster in the future for sure, but we would just ask members to be mindful that private lives and things can happen. If you require an official update, we do have our customer support channels who will update you via chat or email should you not get the response you require here in a timely fashion.

Apologies once again,

Fran 

Thank you Fran, and no complaint was being levelled at you from me, up until now I was happy just waiting a response when one arrived, which it did, but unfortunately other people seem to think tagging is demanding, which to me it isn’t, and then berating me for it, when as far as I was aware, I was just asking politely on behalf of the others discussing the matter for clarification 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

47606odin's question was reasonable, and Frans answer above is reasonable. Seems that the biggest issue was other people's reaction to the tagging which didn't even involve them. Had no one else commented on it then I doubt this conversation would ever have happened. Another of those things on the internet where it all gets blown out of proportion for no good reason.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Thank you Fran, and no complaint was being levelled at you from me, up until now I was happy just waiting a response when one arrived, which it did, but unfortunately other people seem to think tagging is demanding, which to me it isn’t, and then berating me for it, when as far as I was aware, I was just asking politely on behalf of the others discussing the matter for clarification 

Hi Ian,

Many thanks, I have also just emailed you. 

Just for the record, I do not mind people tagging me for queries. It gives me the notification which I do keep track of. As above, I am not always around to answer straight away, as life can get in the way. So, if I dont answer in a timely manner, please note I am not ignoring you. However, if you need a prompt answer, on anything, email and chat on the website will always get you the quickest answer.

I hope this helps, and I'll be back up to speed with all things RMWeb next week.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

On 24/11/2023 at 19:28, scots region said:

Ah well, more time to save, less chance of missing out. So I can't complain. 

(Also time to finish the layout... now how many times have you heard that old tune?) 

Ha, yeah, same. From a purely selfish perspective I am not bothered by the delay at all (although I do understand some may be champing at the bit to get their 89s).

I am sure it will be worth the wait.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

In these days of social media and Discord servers tagging someone is not generally seen as an inherently bad thing, especially if you are asking a specific question. To boil it down to "a sense of entitlement" is far too much of a generalisation. Etiquette regarding tagging people varies across these online spaces, and also varies by the feelings of those being tagged. Some mind it, some don't. Might be an age thing? An attitude thing? Who knows. There is no one size fits all rule approach to tagging people.

ehh, to be fair people on discord would mind if they were excessively tagged, and I often just mention their name without tagging them so that it doesnt annoy them when they could be in a situation where tagging could be a nuisance. Especially when said person is not my friend or peer. There are a whole set of custom emojis about getting mad about being tagged for no reason.

Edited by BrakeCoach
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, BrakeCoach said:

ehh, to be fair people on discord would mind if they were excessively tagged, and I often just mention their name without tagging them so that it doesnt annoy them when they could be in a situation where tagging could be a nuisance. Especially when said person is not my friend or peer. There are a whole set of custom emojis about getting mad about being tagged for no reason.

Excessively tagged, yes. Once or twice though probably not most of the time. It varies so much by server/forum, hence my comment about there not really being a one size fits all solution.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Ian,

Many thanks, I have also just emailed you. 

Just for the record, I do not mind people tagging me for queries. It gives me the notification which I do keep track of. As above, I am not always around to answer straight away, as life can get in the way. So, if I dont answer in a timely manner, please note I am not ignoring you. However, if you need a prompt answer, on anything, email and chat on the website will always get you the quickest answer.

I hope this helps, and I'll be back up to speed with all things RMWeb next week.

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran, AS has a great presence on here, no one expects a response to everything nor an immediate response. The poster certainly did not, has clarified he did not. It's others jumping on, and i have to say was fuelled by Paul's response. if that was more measured this would not of blown up in the first place. 

Anyway time to move on to loco's :)

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2