Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The Class 89, By Accurascale With Rails of Sheffield

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

Having trawled through Flickr this evening I'm thinking the answer is no, but I'll ask the RMWeb hive mind in the hope of a yes. Did the class 89 ever run with the refurbished Mk4s with the red doors? I have bought a rake of the Hornby Mk4s for a fairly decent price at Warley, and these are red door versions of course. I don't think I have the energy to paint all the doors and redo the roof of the DVT, assuming I can find a good paint match. So I think it'll have to be Rule 1 and extend the service life of the 89. 

No.

GNER doors were repainted in 2003, 89001 last ran in 2001… Its amazing to think its been so long out of service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Okay, rule 1 it is then! My class 89 will survive a few extra years into the mid 00s so it can haul coaches with red doors. Although considering it’ll be sharing a station with sleeper Mk5s pulled by a 92, and TPE Mk5s with a 68, maybe that’s not the worst crime. 

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Well, that's my pre-order finally paid-up - get it made lads - don't bother with all that sound and DCC stuff that's delaying things - good old vanilla DC will do ...........................😁

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

This was my first DCC sound order ever--I don't really think DCC sound on an electric is worth it, but its a one-off that is actually being restored as we speak, so I feel the novelty of it!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

This was my first DCC sound order ever--I don't really think DCC sound on an electric is worth it, but its a one-off that is actually being restored as we speak, so I feel the novelty of it!

Electric locos are surprisingly noisy with the cooling fans and so on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

On 27/01/2024 at 14:47, Southernman46 said:

Well, that's my pre-order finally paid-up - get it made lads - don't bother with all that sound and DCC stuff that's delaying things - good old vanilla DC will do ...........................😁

Sound is 1 delay but when I spoke to a member of staff at Warley, I was told that they wanted to improve on the design of the pantograph because it does not park low enough on the 92. So the whole lot is not being delayed in order to make a good recording of the sounds.

2 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

I thought the same when I installed sound on my first electric, but the addition of sound still adds character in the same way as it does with diesel or steam.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The annoying thing is that the whole project is being delayed by adding sound to the ones that have ordered sound ones, i havnt so why cant they sent these out to save us waiting any futher. Date now is quoted as quarter 3 2024...come on!!!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mark G said:

exactly my thoughts.

I’d say that both models are produced during the same factory production slot and it would be uneconomical to split the run into two.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

1 hour ago, Mark G said:

The annoying thing is that the whole project is being delayed by adding sound to the ones that have ordered sound ones, i havnt so why cant they sent these out to save us waiting any futher. Date now is quoted as quarter 3 2024...come on!!!

We face delays to new projects for all sorts of reasons, many unforeseen. I would repectfully suggest that taking the time to add sound (and provide for remote control of the panto) is one of the best reasons.

• Agree 10

2 hours ago, Mark G said:

The annoying thing is that the whole project is being delayed by adding sound to the ones that have ordered sound ones, i havnt so why cant they sent these out to save us waiting any further. Date now is quoted as quarter 3 2024...come on!!!

It is not only being delayed by the sound recording. There is something else which affects all models.

18 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

We face delays to new projects for all sorts of reasons, many unforeseen. I would respectfully suggest that taking the time to add sound (and provide for remote control of the panto) is one of the best reasons.

Their existing BW pan on the class 92 operates, but you are nearly correct.

I was told at Warley by a member of Accurascale's staff that they felt the 92 pantograph does not park low enough.

They feel they can improve on this but the re-design has forced them to delay its release.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark G said:

On 24/11/2023 at 16:28, McC said:

Because all the locomotives are made in a single production slot followed by a painting and printing slot followed by an assembly and packing slot. That slot is now mid next year. 

i ordered a sound one, im with you disappointed with the huge delay but like hellotojasonisaacs said we want it to be right,   we soon get there before you no it,  in the mean time we get play with new locos that coming like the 66 etc etc

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mark G said:

Well, that is the sort of comment that will lead to less information being imparted to us…

Roy

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 25kV said:

All Brecknell-Willis high speed pantographs have the aerofoils - they're tuned to keep the pan head in optimum contact with the wire, I believe. 

One of the early production pans can be seen here: http://www.traintesting.com/Highspeed_pan.htm

Ah so it was there from the start. Makes sense for a high-speed pantograph design.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any update on the sound file, to quote the AS website project update in November.

‘We're delighted that the sound file we are preparing will sound fantastic though, and will demonstrate it in the new year’

I could have asked direct at Ally Pally but forgot. 

• Like 1

Mine to. Along with those for my Class 50, 31 and Mark 2C's.  Going to be an interesting credit card bill.  Wasn't expecting them all at once.

Edited by simonjk
Correct wording.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Same here, but I checked my bank and no payment taken, checked with Patrick on support who said there was an error with Partial.ly and they were working to fix it.

• Like 1