Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Released from refurbishment in March 1986, named 11/05/86, repainted into Intercity style mainline in May 1990. 

I am in your debt - thanks - bit of a silly purhase really but justified as I worked for along time near Cwmbran and also saw this loco in the south west I'm sure..

Demister strips, (and sun visor ) as I modelled in 7mm a few years back - I’m sure it could be printed on 4mm scale glazing -  sure I’ve seen this done already on other Bachmann locos?

The coated/tinted glazing on the 37 seems to be a feature Bachmann have added for the sake of ticking the features box, rather than an excercise in accuracy - but then again I’ll happily be proved wrong if there’s a real example . Otherwise though model looks well tasty - moreso when they do a intercity Mainline one ! 
Jon

CF5D3BF2-9285-4541-8E16-B6CC0903BF89.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

I am in your debt - thanks - bit of a silly purhase really but justified as I worked for along time near Cwmbran and also saw this loco in the south west I'm sure..

No problem at all. I managed it by a quick Flickr search, as I was curious too!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 97406 said:

There was a demister on the driver's windscreen that you can just make out on this image. The dark area that looks like a sun visor is the clear glass over the top.

aj37009.jpg

sb37008.jpg

So cool and very interesting. So the Class 37 did not have tinted glass like the Class 47?  If not do you think Bachmann might be wrong giving their deluxe Class 37 tinted windshields like the 47?

it’s amazing how little things on a model can conjure up  all kinds of questions about both the prototype and the models they inspire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 43179 said:

Demister strips, (and sun visor ) as I modelled in 7mm a few years back - I’m sure it could be printed on 4mm scale glazing -  sure I’ve seen this done already on other Bachmann locos?

The coated/tinted glazing on the 37 seems to be a feature Bachmann have added for the sake of ticking the features box, rather than an excercise in accuracy - but then again I’ll happily be proved wrong if there’s a real example . Otherwise though model looks well tasty - moreso when they do a intercity Mainline one ! 
Jon

Wow! That is truly thought provoking. If I had the room and money I would definitely model in 7mm.

10 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Take a look at Accurascale’s new cement PCA thread.

Had a demo at Hampshire models today.. he just had em delivered .. obviously looks and sounds amazing.. toying what to sell on to raise some funds or just buy it outright.. OR wait for the Accers version.. 

• RMweb Premium

I did wonder whether these on 37’s were entirely accurate. Whilst I don’t pretend to know a lot about 47’s, 37’s are kinda my thing and couldn’t recall this effect prominently enough to justify in model form.

3 hours ago, 43179 said:

Jon

Hi Jon

That does look cool... how did you do it?

Cheers

Will

57 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Hi Jon

That does look cool... how did you do it?

Cheers

Will

Hi Will,

I very very very carefully masked and sprayed onto the inside of the glazing - that includes a black strip across the top - I'm sure it could be very carefully done in 4mm - but the inside of the  glazing material needs to be flat and not 'stepped' around the edges  - basically we need Brian Hanson to make some Laserglaze !

Jon

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, wairoa said:

So cool and very interesting. So the Class 37 did not have tinted glass like the Class 47?  If not do you think Bachmann might be wrong giving their deluxe Class 37 tinted windshields like the 47?

it’s amazing how little things on a model can conjure up  all kinds of questions about both the prototype and the models they inspire.

I don’t think the demister even  fills the whole windscreen, just the space between the top and bottom of the visible gold edges. I also don’t think there is one on the central screen either. This is from helping fit the windscreens into 40012 Aureol just after it was acquired by the Class 40 Appeal.

The sun visor reaches further down the screen and is hinged at the top. The first pics in the pages below show it the down and up positions.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/British_Rail_Class_37

https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/charity-auction-for-class-37-cab-ride-4904538

I need to take a closer look at a 37 or better still a 40 myself now! Any excuse! 😄

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 43179 said:

Jon

Is that the JLTRT kit, or the Heljan one with better windscreen surrounds? Looks great.

14 hours ago, 43179 said:

Bachmann have added for the sake of ticking the features box, rather than an excercise in accuracy

I agree, although we haven't had any firm confirmation either way as to whether 37s got this coating I don't think?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I agree, although we haven't had any firm confirmation either way as to whether 37s got this coating I don't think?

I went through all my own photos of 37s taken in the last few years last night (including a few at the Gresty Bridge open day recently) and have to confess it certainly isn’t obvious on those if indeed it is there at all.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I went through all my own photos of 37s taken in the last few years last night (including a few at the Gresty Bridge open day recently) and have to confess it certainly isn’t obvious on those if indeed it is there at all.

it is much more visible on the 47s, perhaps the nose has an effect on the reflection angles if they do have it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

it is much more visible on the 47s, perhaps the nose has an effect on the reflection angles if they do have it

There is a tint on 37s (as with some other classes) but, as you say it depends on the angle that you're looking at them from and the reflection of light. It's more obvious on a 47 though.

37tint.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 2

13 hours ago, 43179 said:

Hi Will,

I very very very carefully masked and sprayed onto the inside of the glazing - that includes a black strip across the top - I'm sure it could be very carefully done in 4mm - but the inside of the  glazing material needs to be flat and not 'stepped' around the edges  - basically we need Brian Hanson to make some Laserglaze !

Jon

I'll get pestering him!

Thanks for sharing

Thanks everyone for providing information on the windscreens of the Classes 37 and 47. 

6 months ago I would never have thought I could find locomotive windows so interesting. Yet, now, whenever I see an engine in RL or photos or model form one of the first things I do is look at the windows. 

Good job Bachmann for trying to add this feature where relevant.

Edited by wairoa
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

Has any who has got their hands on these delightful beasts made any videos yet? 

Yes I have. Look in the Accurascale section regarding the PCA cement wagons, my video is there. It's the EWS 37pulling a rake of Castle Cement wagons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Yes I have. Look in the Accurascale section regarding the PCA cement wagons, my video is there. It's the EWS 37pulling a rake of Castle Cement wagons.

Have you changed the volume on yours as it sounds a lot better than mine.

The sounds tinny and rattly and sounds like the sounds breaking up, especially on startup and when moving off. Im wondering if i have a faulty speaker / faulty amp on the decoder