Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Southwich said:

Having purchased 37422 from DEMU today I have to say I’m really impressed. Having spent hours upgrading the old model with Shawplan/3D printed parts I’m very much considering the future of these locos now - the new tooling has nailed the characteristic look of the cab front windows far better than any 37 previously. The subtlety of the cab windows and the associated join line is seriously impressive.

Well done to Bachmann for nailing this - superb model!

Kind regards,

Will

I agree, the way the loco sits on the bogies is excellent, the only thing I'm disappointed in is the snow ploughs. I've also purchased 37422. The running quality, with the Zimo decoder is so much better than the Accurascale Deltic out of the box. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 89A said:

My thoughts as well but as I generally run sound on dcc these days that's £700.

I had another look at my Vi 37 422. Not that bad and running well (£49.99 in 2007). Maybe I'll just go for Cwmbran??

Resistance …at least in my case …was useless. I too have the Vitrains version of which I am no fan,I have to say as I think the shape is plain wrong . As I post this,my newly acquired ,newly minted Bachmann Collectors Club of 37422 is growling in stately pace around my 8x4 tabletop under dc control..and yes I bought the sound version but with careful tweaking it in fact works a charm under Gaugemaster Combi control . And yes I did spend much money,I admit. So…yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice. IMHO no contest…..especially with dcc control…proper stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

i wonder if a new 66 is coming too ?

It wouldn't surprise me. Although the thing is that I expect a lot of retools to be reactionary (why spend the money if the existing is still selling), and one of the things to react to seems to have disappeared (the Hattons 66).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MidlandRed said:

Well how wonderful - there are clearly centre headcode WR versions to come so I shall be hoping for both as built green versions (syp), and early blue fye (with Ds on the numbers), pre TOPS!!

Im certainly impressed by these models - good to see free market capitalism is still extant - of course we haven’t been privy to televised film of either Bachmann or Accurascale going off like ballistic missiles regarding competitors, unlike individuals from the Margate organisation doing so (Terrier and others) - I’m sure without that a certain percentage of the vitriol aimed at them would not have occurred (although the Titfield and dealer allocations may have done). 

It is the South Wales GSYP 37 which I would like and which I am holding out for.  I noticed out of the ten display models in the Bachmann video, there is only one possibility among the array of split headcode versions and sealed beam ends. 

Obviously we are looking at the prototypes (apart from 37422 and 37430) but the cab windows look a little prismy to me.  The jury is still out for me and whether A/s deliver a nice Canton green, or whether it is Barwell,  will make my judgement after seeing.  I would buy an A/s without seeing it prior, but not sure about Bachmann.  What I find quite surprising is this is the fifth attempt at a Barwell 37 !!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

And yet STILL the one model that people actually want and need to be remodelled (class 40) is left like low hanging fruit for someone to pluck and make a fortune on….

I’ve heard a 40 is in the pipeline with a manufacturer but I don’t know which one, I totally agree though the 40 must be the most sort after loco that’s begging to be re-tooled 

• Agree 1

Just develop something completely new. Done to death. I have a couple of Accurascale 37’s on order. If they are as good as the Deltic I will be happy. 

seriously cannot see the logic. Will we see them this side of 2027?

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

It wouldn't surprise me. Although the thing is that I expect a lot of retools to be reactionary (why spend the money if the existing is still selling), and one of the things to react to seems to have disappeared (the Hattons 66).

Why are you so caustic about Hattons regarding their 66?

They have "disappeared" because the first batch has sold out. Nothing more.

They have produced 1 large batch. They had some problems with it (mainly QC). Their communication during development was great, but the delays embarrassed them.

The first batch has now sold out. (Either completely or very nearly).

The lead time on a new batch of models is months, not days.

Manufacturers now seem to announce things at shorter notice so a competitor cannot rush something out to beat them. Bachmann even kept their new 37 quiet until it was actually available.

So what can we work out from that:

Hattons won't make any announcements for any new models until they have an availability date they can stick to.

That's it. We don't know what their plans are & they would like to keep their competitors guessing.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Where have you been ? The price was quoted in first few pages . They’ll be the standard reductions but if I did pay £344 it’d be worth more than my car !

If you think you I’m  going down the Bolingbroke next time on a 37, you’s is mistaken!

• Funny 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, OOgaugeJaf said:

Will we see them this side of 2027?

Please pay attention to the video and subsequent posts before trotting out worn out phrases.

I won't even answer the question, you can go and find out.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 minutes ago, OOgaugeJaf said:

Just develop something completely new. Done to death. I have a couple of Accurascale 37’s on order. If they are as good as the Deltic I will be happy. 

seriously cannot see the logic. Will we see them this side of 2027?

This is not an announcement for future plans. The model is available right now.

The video stated that the first 2 were on sale today at DEMU Showcase.

Given the development time on the class 90s (which was about 5 years) Bachmann will have been planning these for somewhere around the same time & long before Accurascale announced theirs. Their development would have progressed so far that it would have cost them more to cancel the model than to produce it.

• Agree 7

5 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

This is not an announcement for future plans. The model is available right now.

The video stated that the first 2 were on sale today at DEMU Showcase.

Given the development time on the class 90s (which was about 5 years) Bachmann will have been planning these for somewhere around the same time & long before Accurascale announced theirs. Their development would have progressed so far that it would have cost them more to cancel the model than to produce it.

Ah, fair enough, just become use to an announcement then we see them some 4-5 years later. 

From my perspective, just want to see new, different models. 

I was surprised to see the 37s in Sutton but they did look nice.  A huge class and long life should allow both Accurascale and Bachmann to make more than a cup of tea out of these models.  As others have said, livery and era will entice me or not.  I have two Accurascales on order, and will await Bachmann's releases with interest.

Dumb clot that I am I didn't realise "Cwmbran" was on sale today.  Must pay attention in future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

42 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

I’ve heard a 40 is in the pipeline with a manufacturer but I don’t know which one, I totally agree though the 40 must be the most sort after loco that’s begging to be re-tooled 

Thing with a 40 though it's limited in livery selection. That's less potential sales although its got to be on the cards.

The amount of Class 37 livery variants is huge and tbh the lower runs on models these days probably means both will not dent each other too much commercially. I am getting tempted to knock a little P4 layout up now just so I can buy a few of these cracking 4mm releases. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

It is the South Wales GSYP 37 which I would like and which I am holding out for.  I noticed out of the ten display models in the Bachmann video, there is only one possibility among the array of split headcode versions and sealed beam ends. 

Obviously we are looking at the prototypes (apart from 37422 and 37430) but the cab windows look a little prismy to me.  The jury is still out for me and whether A/s deliver a nice Canton green, or whether it is Barwell,  will make my judgement after seeing.  I would buy an A/s without seeing it prior, but not sure about Bachmann.  What I find quite surprising is this is the fifth attempt at a Barwell 37 !!!

If Accurascale had announced an original WR one (GSYP and/or BFYE pre TOPS version) Id have ordered one of each - bearing in mind the WR at one time or another had all of D6819-6608 plus at least one of the earlier locos on test/ familiarisation - admittedly some not for very long - however there is a Bachmann sample which fits this guise so is the closest yet!! Id love to see one of the original diesel Lickey bankers (D6938 etc) in green but any WR ones will be fine (including any of the BFYE ones pre removal of D from the numbers). 

Maybe we’ll get the option of buying a couple from each manufacturer!! I really like the Bachmann version announced - though the liveried versions, in my opinion, look even better. 

• Like 1

Debates about price, competitors and historical lead times aside, it is pretty amazing that you can rock up to an exhibition and not only see a new model announced but actually buy it there and then. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 14

All things being equal I will stick with the Accurascale models. I will do what I can to encourage new quality players into the market. I have bought more than my fair share of both Bachman and Hornby.

Edited by wairoa
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

For me again it comes down to the buffer beam detailing. Bachmann usually lack details here and the position and size of the miniature snow ploughs is a turn off with the 37 & 47. This is the reason for my choosing the Heljan 47 and the AS 37. The 37 & 47 snow ploughs are different but Bachmann use a generic size.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, MrB said:

For me again it comes down to the buffer beam detailing. Bachmann usually lack details here and the position and size of the miniature snow ploughs is a turn off with the 37 & 47. This is the reason for my choosing the Heljan 47 and the AS 37. The 37 & 47 snow ploughs are different but Bachmann use a generic size.

An interesting reason to choose the models I must say! Surely you can fit after market ploughs? For example, the Heljan 47 new and old both seem to have shape issues, deciding to not go for in my eyes, the superior Bachmann one just because of the snowploughs Is fascinating. Now back onto 37s, wonder if we’ll see a Bachmann 97, or leave that to accurascale? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Why are you so caustic about Hattons regarding their 66?

I accept what you're saying, but if I was Bachmann I would be wondering if it is still a threat. If you consider the other popular classes that they are getting competition on, the 37 and 47, AS are planning run 2 already (they have said that before run 1 is even here, run 1 of the Hattons 66 has been here 30 months now and I don't think we have had anything from Hattons in that time), and the Heljan 47 is imminent. In what could be seen as a war of three fronts I know which is the quiet one!

On top of that you have seen the debate in the Hattons 66 thread about if/what/why regarding another run, no need to rediscuss it all in here.

I hope they do as it's a good model.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

there’s certainly a market for them imo and they have at least another 20 years left in real life so plenty of liveries to come as such. 

Yes, I think I said it on this thread before that I think the 37, 47 and 66 are probably the only 3 diesel classes that can get away with 2 high end models.

I suppose that if Bachmann did react to the Hattons 66 then the fruits of that reaction wouldn't be far away by now either.

Hopefully when somebody next does some the tooling is suitable for the EU imports we now have over here.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, I think I said it on this thread before that I think the 37, 47 and 66 are probably the only 3 diesel classes that can get away with 2 high end models.

I think you could add the Class 08 to that list for certain, and probably the Class 43 (HST) as well. 

Roy

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I think you could add the Class 08 to that list for certain, and probably the Class 43 (HST) as well. 

Roy

Yes I forgot the 08, and I was more thinking of the HST as a train than specifically a loco (i.e. you need the coaches too) but I agree.