Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

Duly corrected.... 

😃

Me too, though I'll be well and truly broke if they did! 😄 I'll settle for spare bodyshells just for the cabs, which will appear over time.

I've bitten and gone for the middle spec 430 with sound from Rails, as I am after a Welsh 37/4 and I've been good and not bought any locos for over a month now!

9 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Didn’t Bachmann do it before ? I’m sure I had a ltd edition twin pack from KMRC that was 37/9.

The previous 37/9 was probably just a renumbered centre headcode 37/7, but the prototype had a different roof profile.

They have been a lot fussier with the latest release.

Different roof types (welded, single/double rivetted), different bogies (cast/fabricated).

If either makes one for their latest 37, I would therefore expect it to have a correct roof.

• RMweb Gold

So now we have 2 super detailed 37’s to choose from, the dilemma for Manufacturers is when to announce them ?

we saw what happened when the 66 liveries were announced a year before release.

As a modeller i’d like to see variety, and with 300 examples in what must be at least 60 liveries this shouldn’t be an issue. But competitively its probably too tempting to see both beat each other up over the same popular number/livery combinations.

Surely a new Mk1/mk2a must be on the horizon, as must be a 16t mineral.

Coming back to the 66’s.. its the most prevalent diesel locomotive in the country today, its fallacy to think that Bachmann would drop it. Many of Bachmanns  upgrades are technical too.. upgrading boards and motors which leads to a redesigned chassis and then the body.. imo, i’d wager an old 66 on it, that at a minimum a new Chassis, Electronics is coming, but an upgraded 66 imo is coming.

Now… Refurb 37/4’s , 37/5’s … 1990’s style who will be first ? Thats the cash cow…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Markwj said:

I am sure you are right and they did 905/6 but I am not certain the roof was right or that the roof mods were not done for 901-4 ,or I could be completely wrong!

Kernow commissioned Bachmann to produce 37906, one of the two with a Ruston engine. The photo shows it with 37057 on the right for comparison. The difference in the exhaust outlets can be seen. My understanding is that the four with Mirrlees engines were not modelled because the roofs would have required much more extensive modifications. My model 37906 contains the Ruston sound project from Digitrains.

37906 & 37057.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Surely a new Mk1/mk2a must be on the horizon

You could be onto something there, those Scotrail mk 2s have taken a hell of a long time to appear.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann Class 47 is a very nice model indeed. It doesn't quite have the wow factor of the Accurascale Deltic for me, but perhaps that is partly because the old model 47 was already very good. The sound is a big step up though. The new Bachmann 37 seems a little similar but looks to be more accurate for variants which may well be true for the 47 too.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, TomScrut said:

This is a shame for me as I prefer ESU. Bachmann seem inconsistent with who they choose for sound. Maybe to keep them both on their toes?

No such inconsistency with Graham Farish, however, which have only ever used ZIMO sound decoders in factory fitted sound models. Maybe something to do with the smooth pull-away ZIMO decoders provide rather than the 'jerk start' typical of other brands?

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Given Bachmanns new found preference for releasing new models with little prior build up I wonder if there is a OO 31 on the cards from them? They've already gathered the research materials for the N scale version ..............

apparently the bulk of the development costs are in tooling and sharing research doesn't really save that much

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

So now we have 2 super detailed 37’s to choose from, the dilemma for Manufacturers is when to announce them ?

we saw what happened when the 66 liveries were announced a year before release.

As a modeller i’d like to see variety, and with 300 examples in what must be at least 60 liveries this shouldn’t be an issue. But competitively its probably too tempting to see both beat each other up over the same popular number/livery combinations.

Surely a new Mk1/mk2a must be on the horizon, as must be a 16t mineral.

Coming back to the 66’s.. its the most prevalent diesel locomotive in the country today, its fallacy to think that Bachmann would drop it. Many of Bachmanns  upgrades are technical too.. upgrading boards and motors which leads to a redesigned chassis and then the body.. imo, i’d wager an old 66 on it, that at a minimum a new Chassis, Electronics is coming, but an upgraded 66 imo is coming.

Now… Refurb 37/4’s , 37/5’s … 1990’s style who will be first ? Thats the cash cow…

This version from Bachmann is the 1990s spec 37/4 isn’t it? Obviously not the 37/5 hasn’t been announced, yet. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Kernow commissioned Bachmann to produce 37906, one of the two with a Ruston engine. The photo shows it with 37057 on the right for comparison. The difference in the exhaust outlets can be seen. My understanding is that the four with Mirrlees engines were not modelled because the roofs would have required much more extensive modifications. My model 37906 contains the Ruston sound project from Digitrains.

37906 & 37057.jpg

The class 40 in my profile pic has cabs from the moulding on the left, and I rememeber noting the exhaust arrangements on the donor body at the time.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Given Bachmanns new found preference for releasing new models with little prior build up I wonder if there is a OO 31 on the cards from them? They've already gathered the research materials for the N scale version ..............

Who knows what they have planned?

I find it interesting to see what they announce every quarter. The 37 was a big one though, so I won't be disappointed to see little next week.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to clarify. Kernow did commission Bachmann to do 37905 and 906, the 2 Ruston ones. However the models produced were not accurate for the later 80s / early 90s and included later modifications. Both locos changed a lot especially in the early years. 

As mentioned 37901-904 have much more extensive roof modifications and these have never been modelled ready to run, yet!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Drifter said:

Well, that didn’t go well. My LMS has only been allocated one 37. Presumably a lot were sold at DEMU. I was after a DCC Ready. Didn’t get any of that model.

Kernow had the dcc ready versions in this morning

35-335 Bachmann Class 37/4 Diesel Locomotive 37 430 Cwmbran (kernowmodelrailcentre.com)

Edited by meatloaf
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The previous 37/9 was probably just a renumbered centre headcode 37/7, but the prototype had a different roof profile.

They have been a lot fussier with the latest release.

Different roof types (welded, single/double rivetted), different bogies (cast/fabricated).

If either makes one for their latest 37, I would therefore expect it to have a correct roof.

They did some mods to depict the 2 Ruston machines.

As for the Mirlees powered ones….a bit of modelling currently needed for that….but it can be done!0C67CD12-15B6-49F7-B1B4-9D5F34D4FD5F.jpeg.fb7fed19acd709a93b0753325fcf5464.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting choice for the Collectors Club loco. 

Is Accurascale's Graham Hubbard still involved with the Heavy Traction Group whose 37714 is or was named Cardiff Canton...........or have I got that completely wrong ? 

Rob

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Maybe something to do with the smooth pull-away ZIMO decoders provide rather than the 'jerk start' typical of other brands?

Can't speak for N but in OO ESUs are generally very good and not jerky

• Agree 3