Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

After a lifetime without a 37 shaped 37, like buses, two come along together. Great to see Bachmann upping their game at long last in the face of competition from the new blood. Although I’ll be sticking with the Accurascale for the 37, Bachmann have also released a much more accurately shaped Class 20 in recent times which convinces me things are moving in the right direction across ranges, not just individual classes.

It all feels good to me🙂

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

The Accurascale versions that would be suitable for my layout are sold out anyway, so if there is a suitable Bachmann 37/0 I will be buying that, and looking at the photo's I'm very tempted to buy 37 430 even though its not really suitable for my layout. After my experience with the Deltic's and a few bits falling off given a choice between the two I'm more inclined to go for the Bachmann.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I noticed from the YouTube video on these models, Bachmann are using the Zimo MS450, 

at this stage, this decoder will not consist as I've just found out and is a known issue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 40002 said:

The Accurascale versions that would be suitable for my layout are sold out anyway, so if there is a suitable Bachmann 37/0 I will be buying that, and looking at the photo's I'm very tempted to buy 37 430 even though its not really suitable for my layout. After my experience with the Deltic's and a few bits falling off given a choice between the two I'm more inclined to go for the Bachmann.

You might try Rails ? 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

This is a shame for me as I prefer ESU. Bachmann seem inconsistent with who they choose for sound. Maybe to keep them both on their toes?

As it is, the MS450 is not NMRA compliant. Bachmann seem to have moved over to Zimo now. Why not have a drop down menu when purchasing- Zimo or ESU, no big deal you'd have thought!

• Agree 2

Just now, Gary H said:

As it is, the MS450 is not NMRA compliant. Bachmann seem to have moved over to Zimo now. Why not have a drop down menu when purchasing- Zimo or ESU, no big deal you'd have thought!

They have gone back to ESU with the 90 though! Seems to be inconsistent.

• Like 1

The latest Bachmann 37 appears to be an improvement over the existing model, however I think it was an oversight to continue using separate nose ends, this being most noticeable on L/L liveries.

The one piece body/noses A/S versions being a better more convincing solution.

• Agree 8

Thanks for posting the photos Phil Parker - cannot make the show myself!

Certainly a major step up on the previous range of models.  I have to agree that the nose being a separately fitted part does remind me of the slight disappointment I had with some Bachmann LoadHaul specials many years back, when it didn't seat too well.  That said, I think the two models currently released look great, though I will stick to just the EWS one for now.  Price point is a bit of a concern to me but I hope it doesn't hit sales too much.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

The latest Bachmann 37 appears to be an improvement over the existing model, however I think it was an oversight to continue using separate nose ends, this being most noticeable on L/L liveries.

The one piece body/noses A/S versions being a better more convincing solution.

I totally agree.  I can't see past the obvious join between the nose and the body.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

The cab step etching on the Accurascale alone just gives that attention to detail that really catches my eye. 

430 won't have that though because as far as I am aware that appeared when DRS refurbished them (which never happened to 430). I don't think it's something Bachmann have missed. 402 in that pic is how it ran for DRS.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2022 at 12:09, Delta_Who said:

Painted bogie detail on the Accurascale is better?

If you're on about the red springs, I can't find a pic of 430 with red springs and so I wouldn't argue it is better on the AS when Bachmann shouldn't have done it.

11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

If you're on about the red springs, I can't find a pic of 430 with red springs and so I wouldn't argue it is better on the AS when Bachmann shouldn't have done it.

I was more looking at the pipework around the bogies. As you said the Accurascale red springs are accurate to the liveried prototype (37402).

Edited by Delta_Who

Just now, Delta_Who said:

I was more looking at the pipework around the bogies. The red springs are actually from the Accurascale... but they are accurate to the liveried prototype (37402).

Yes I realise that. I thought you were suggesting Bachmann should have done the same. The pipes are black (maybe with muck) or white depending on which pic of 430 you look at.

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I think you could add the Class 08 to that list for certain, and probably the Class 43 (HST) as well. 

Roy

Yh if I was Hornby right about now... I would be nervous that their entire super detail diesels are at threat.

60 - Sufficiently detailed for now, but still a popular model. 
67 - I highly doubt anyone is taking that for now

50 - Huge stranger danger that is up for grabs

08 - Despite 2 offerings, neither Bachmann or Hornby have lit markers or really capitalized on Class 09s/10s/11s/12s/13s. And the Class 08s still have a plethora of liveries that could be done (Virgin Shunter please O_O)
43 - Another stranger danger, and would be a ballsy aggressive move for a certain manufacturer to steal what has always been a Hornby partnership model.

Hatton's 66, given their long run 2 times and QA issues would likely also attract Bachmann back into that water

Edited by Delta_Who
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, Delta_Who said:

Yh if I was Hornby right about now... I would be nervous that their entire super detail diesels are at threat.

60 - Sufficiently detailed for now, but still a popular model. 

08 - Despite 2 offerings, neither Bachmann or Hornby have lit markers or really capitalized on Class 09s/10s/11s/12s/13s. And the Class 08s still have a plethora of liveries that could be done (Virgin Shunter please O_O)
43 - Another stranger danger, and would be a ballsy aggressive move for a certain manufacturer to steal what has always been a Hornby partnership model.

Hatton's 66, given their long run 2 times and QA issues would likely also attract Bachmann back into that water

The Class 11 and 12 diesel shunters are being done by Heljan/Model Rail.

And yes. They do have lights.

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/167/Project-Class-11-12

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I think Bachmann could find room to really improve on the Heljan/EFE Hymek and 58, but I am not sure how that would play internally. The obvious ones left are the 40 and 50, although there's a few electric options. The Heljan 76 and 77 weren't great, 81, 82, 83 & 84. A wild card would be HS4000, the Heljan model could be improved on. However, the low hanging fruit have gone and it's now rather difficult to do D&E without duplicating models already pretty well done.

19 minutes ago, Delta_Who said:

60 - Sufficiently detailed for now, but still a popular model

I agree, but would probably be low on the list to tackle given it is still A very good model.

20 minutes ago, Delta_Who said:

I agree, Hornby model is quite good and 67s probably aren't popular enough to have any better for now.

20 minutes ago, Delta_Who said:

Open goal IMO.

21 minutes ago, Delta_Who said:

08 - Despite 2 offerings

And those two offerings would not really be adaptable to add lighting either.

23 minutes ago, Delta_Who said:

43 - Another stranger danger, and would be a ballsy aggressive

The thing with HSTs is that almost any layout beyond a depot layout based after the 70s could probably justify one. That's a lot of layouts. The issue is probably the cost of tooling it properly to the levels we would expect from new tooling.

• Like 2

Good to see Bachmann doing models as detailed as this (along with the 47 & 90), I’d say they are definitely trying to raise the bar although I fear Accurascale may have already surpassed it and at a much cheaper price which I know has already been mentioned on here plenty of times. 

Great to have choice between manufacturers though, looking forward to seeing the other liveries that are being produced, would be good if Bachmann tried doing some of the liveries we’ve not seen on a recent model of the 37 such as “Royal Scotsman” or “Police”

I’d also be in the market for a Network rail or ROG one though to go with me AS ones 😁

• Agree 1