Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

5 hours ago, 40002 said:

The Accurascale versions that would be suitable for my layout are sold out anyway, 

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

You might try Rails ? 

I am sure that there are many Accurascale stockists up and down the country who will be able to take an order for any of the 37s that Accurascale are sold through on their direct sales.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have 7 A/S Class 37's on order but have just purchased the Sound Fitted DL class 37 from Bachmann. Looking forward to getting this up and running and whilst i have pledged support to Accurascale, im really pleased to see Bachmann lifting the bar in terms of standards and tooling. It is so good to see manufacturers now starting to realise that old, outdated toolings need to be consigned to the bin and the smaller manufacturers are giving the big boys the prod they have needed for a while now. Well done to Bachmann on what appears to be a cracking model. like the ZIMO decoders as well, STICK WITH THEM!. Top notch !

Edited by Krieghoff
Spelling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mike at C&M said:

I am sure that there are many Accurascale stockists up and down the country who will be able to take an order for any of the 37s that Accurascale are sold through on their direct sales.

Of course. How remiss of me in just citing the obvious. Apologies.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Having played all afternoon with my heavenly Welsh twins,have to say…as a rookie sound user ( and that on dc only)  how very impressed I am with the sound operation on both new 37’s . Gives a wholly new and most enjoyable dimension to running models of them and vividly reminds me of the sound they once made just over the way from my front bedroom window reversing a load of empties up the line from Treherbert to Blaenrhondda Colliery and  then ,brakes screaming,bringing the train load back down again.. All now but a thing of memory .

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Mike at C&M said:

Perhaps but I will see if Bachmann offer a version suitable for my layout, I'm not as wild about Accurascale as some people on here, and possibly prefer a bit of robustness at the expense of a bit of detail, but I guess having more choice is no bad thing.

Edited by 40002
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Mike at C&M said:

Whilst it’s a little irrelevant for anything that’s sold out direct with Acurrascale, it is cheaper to buy direct isn’t it, so that would be my preference and surely the same for most people if price is the main consideration, as some on here would have you believe. As a consumer it’s hard to resist the cash back, credits, discounts on multiple purchases etc. which Acurascale offer and which presumably, independent retailers cannot match.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, romley midland said:

Whilst it’s a little irrelevant for anything that’s sold out direct with Acurrascale, it is cheaper to buy direct isn’t it, so that would be my preference and surely the same for most people if price is the main consideration, as some on here would have you believe. As a consumer it’s hard to resist the cash back, credits, discounts on multiple purchases etc. which Acurascale offer and which presumably, independent retailers cannot match.

As maybe but retailers need to earn a crust of bread too. 

• Like 2

• AY Mod changed the title to Bachmann announce all new Class 37
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, thetrains said:

I have an Accura blue twin headcode box on pre-order via a model shop which was a last minute thing on 21st grabbing one of the last of their allocation.  If I'd known what was coming with Bachmann I would have held off.  All this is good for competition though.

I am DC only so only get DCC ready ones, with Bachmann I know what I'm getting with running which is more important for me than finite detail, not an expert on any engines but just get models from my youth I liked, steam & diesel.  Always thought Bachs 37's looked OK but their Deltics iffy, so never had one.  So I got Acuuras Deltic, but the more use my Accura Deltic gets, @ 4hrs now, the more troublesome it seems to be.  It always needed 3.22 volts to get moving (Bachs all seem to be about 1.8) but now wants to jack rabbit off, it will slow down to an imperceptible crawl, but then jerks off again when turned up, was fine when first used and after initial running in.  Has this strange kinetmatic coupling that gets stuck I periodic derailing on R5 curves going on to straight.

Hence if I'd known what's was round corner I would have waited and paid £39 more for what I perceive to be Bachs normal running qualities.  Will talk to shop when they reopen Thursday and see what can be done.

not wishing to intrude on the thread but have you been on to our support as that’s not normal loco behaviour. Feel free to dm me to avoid any thread derailment. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, romley midland said:

Absolutely, but Accurascale are supported by their stockists. If Accurascale are sold out, you may find a LMS has the model available to purchase. After all the discount on a sold out model is err nothing.

Of course if you want to run your model you will need all the little bits that Accurascale don’t sell, available from your LMS, posted to you or available for collection and see in your hand to inspect and see running.  From the likes of C and M Models of Carlisle. 

l am sure Accurascale would agree or they wouldn’t have allowed stockists for their products?

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

This is a shame for me as I prefer ESU. Bachmann seem inconsistent with who they choose for sound. Maybe to keep them both on their toes?

Or maybe in the current times it comes down to who can actually provide the decoders when Bachmann needs them?  I know some of Rapido's North American stuff has had locos sit at the factory waiting on decoders to arrive and that could potentially be an issue for Bachmann where they don't announce ahead of time so really need to ship the product.

7 hours ago, Gary H said:

As it is, the MS450 is not NMRA compliant. Bachmann seem to have moved over to Zimo now. Why not have a drop down menu when purchasing- Zimo or ESU, no big deal you'd have thought!

Except it doubles the DCC SKU's to handle, confuses the market (retailer A - which do I stock, maybe best to stock none...), creates support issues, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Or maybe in the current times it comes down to who can actually provide the decoders when Bachmann needs them?

Maybe

3 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Except it doubles the DCC SKU's to handle, confuses the market (retailer A - which do I stock, maybe best to stock none...), creates support issues, etc.

I agree, plenty of DCC users would not even really know any of the difference, or care for that matter.

• RMweb Gold

Been away for the weekend so just catching up- I did wonder if this was on the cards when they announced the new 47 but there should be enough variations for both companies (accurascale and Bachmann) to prosper. I watched some of the launch video but didn't hear if Bachmann mentioned how much they had spent on tooling just for curiosity. On the class 47 the did say they had sunk over £1000000, to produce the definitive 47 and it looks as though they have spent a similar amount here possibly. 

In the past I would have bought one just because its new but will wait and see who produces 37407 'blackpool tower' first. 

I wish both companies success with what look like cracking models of a much loved prototype.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2

Forgive me if it’s been mentioned already, but the interesting thing, particularly with the 37/4s, is if you were era specific you wouldn’t be running the announced Accurascale 37/4s in 80s condition as they’ve got too many modifications to bring them up to date to be accurate for the 80s. I’ve seen the Bachmann offering and it looks great, and perfect for the 80s modeller who doesn’t want to wait to see if Accurascale fills that gap. There’s space for both I think and it’s great to see one finished model looking great and one yet to be finished looking great too. I can’t wait to have both side by side. Only downsides on the Bachmann one for me are the removable noses and the ploughs. The latter is my main bugbear on the 47 too. 

Edited by cairnsroadworks
Spelling and general sense
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

you wouldn’t be running the announced Accurascale 37/4s in 80s condition as they’ve got too many modifications to bring them up to date to be accurate for the 80s. I’ve seen the Bachmann offering and it looks great, and perfect for the 80s modeller

I agree. As the pics next to each other earlier in the thread show, there are differences. The issue I think is it's easy to assume that Bachmann (in this case since the mods tend to add) have accidentally missed something (plates under steps for example) when they weren't on the prototype when the model is based upon.

Here's a question regarding the prototype. Do the reinforced drivers screens (on DRS modified locos IIRC) have the same shimmer as originals, as the deluxe Bachmann models depict? Will be interesting to see if present day models get that treatment if the prototype doesn't.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Class 11 and 12 diesel shunters are being done by Heljan/Model Rail.

And yes. They do have lights.

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/167/Project-Class-11-12

Jason

I really really want one of these beauties (green, wasp), far more than a 37 actually, but Heljan seem not to be in a rush to take orders.  Come on guys, let us order and pay our deposits - unless of course another competitor steps up to the plate 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I don't think it has been announced by either party yet.

Unless there's something to spot with the EPs that gives the game away?

Didn’t Bachmann do it before ? I’m sure I had a ltd edition twin pack from KMRC that was 37/9.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Didn’t Bachmann do it before ? I’m sure I had a ltd edition twin pack from KMRC that was 37/9.

I am sure you are right and they did 905/6 but I am not certain the roof was right or that the roof mods were not done for 901-4 ,or I could be completely wrong!

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2022 at 14:10, Delta_Who said:

If I were Hattons, my super detail Class 66 wouldn't be looking too safe about now.

Not too sure about that.

IMO - it would not be easy to improve on the Hattons 66.  QC was the big issue that let them down. [*] 

It has been noted that Bachmann have been working on the 37 for some time - as they were with the recent 47. Both of which would coincide significantly with the timelines of the AS 37 and Heljan 47.

I wonder if it was the announcement of the Hattons 66 - as far back as 2018 no less -  that spurred Bachmann on to look at the 47 and 37 as a precaution against other manufacturers taking a slice of Barwell's profits? 3-4 years is not uncommon as the genesis of a new loco these days.

The only possible thing in Bachmann's favour for upgrading the 66 is the uncertainty over another production run of the Hattons 66. Or maybe a Euro-spec shed and a few more recent liveries?

[*]

I'm also one of those that didn't offload my Bachy sheds in favour of Hattons (other than a couple that were already surplus) and have since upgraded them with Illuminated Models lighting kits to run alongside my smaller number of Hattons locos. And it's unlikely that the announcement of another new brand of 66 would even cause my credit card to stir. (Same goes for anyone that might introduce a new Class 60)

In a similar vein - I won't be ditching my existing fleet of Bachmann 37s in favour of this weekend's announcement. Or for that matter, because of the AS version - although I do have two of those on order as they fill a couple of gaps in my "like to have" loco roster

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2022 at 11:49, aureol40012 said:

And yet STILL the one model that people actually  you want and need to be remodelled (class 40) is left like low hanging fruit for someone to pluck and make a fortune on….

Duly corrected.... 

😃

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2022 at 16:52, TomScrut said:

As far as I am aware, the N gauge market is a fair bit smaller than the OO market. Maybe that is why?

No - the N gauge market is smaller, because they are far away

(With due thanks to Father Ted)

• Like 1
  • Funny 16