Tonleigh Bridge (East Yard) Speedlink

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Haha, Yes saved from Trewithen.😃  👍, a bit that didn't go to the Tip, (see Intro to Video No 4 / Post 5 above).  😆

Even more Blue Peter than I thought!  As you could tell, I hadn’t watched the videos.  I’ve now been a good boy and watched No.4 so I’m up to speed a bit.

Never had suede shoes but I think my dad might have as we had a suede brush just like yours (but not as worn). I commandeered it for railway use 45+ years ago. Pulled out a set of bristles from the centre, soldered wires from each side to a pair of croc clips and there was a wheel cleaning brush.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Even more Blue Peter than I thought!  As you could tell, I hadn’t watched the videos.  I’ve now been a good boy and watched No.4 so I’m up to speed a bit.

Never had suede shoes but I think my dad might have as we had a suede brush just like yours (but not as worn). I commandeered it for railway use 45+ years ago. Pulled out a set of bristles from the centre, soldered wires from each side to a pair of croc clips and there was a wheel cleaning brush.

Paul.

Nice idea for wheel cleaning Paul. 👍

Some pics of the gradient from this mornings work in the POD, nice and gentle, just need to get the Track laid, but I will connect some up tomorrow just to test it but its about 1 in 55 inches.IMG_0594.JPG.3acacdc7b07a653c5ee6fe72335e8140.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG.1cccd0b9eb0d35eba6aeb4ae625af68e.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG.94b958977f880f81c5c0f47782b604ab.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

I have worked out why you cannot settle to one layout for too long. You seem to lack satisfaction in the wonderful work you do. Looking at the layouts you have started and those you have finished I notice something missing, where is the East Anglian theme layout? One with J15s or Brush type 2s, Gresley non gangway coaches or Drerby lightweight DMUs, open wagons full of sugar beat or grain hoppers. All at the relaxed pace of Norfolk and Suffolk.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

I have worked out why you cannot settle to one layout for too long. You seem to lack satisfaction in the wonderful work you do. Looking at the layouts you have started and those you have finished I notice something missing, where is the East Anglian theme layout? One with J15s or Brush type 2s, Gresley non gangway coaches or Drerby lightweight DMUs, open wagons full of sugar beat or grain hoppers. All at the relaxed pace of Norfolk and Suffolk.

Where's East Anglia?🤓

• Funny 5

2 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Great to see a Southern themed layout at last Andy! Looking forward to this. I hope it lasts more than a week or so......

Cheers Mike, Yes I hope it last more that a week or so. 

In fact a year or so would be good in my books. 👍

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

It's very quiet here.

Do you think he's finished it yet? 😀

52 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

Probably on the phone with prospective buyers

Brian

31 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I thought it was just houses you bought off plan! 🤣

Haha, NOT FOR SALE. 🤫

Don't worry guys, work has continued over the weekend and beyond, and I've been out today replenishing some stock I was running low of, (Fish Plates, Pins and a bit of Track) so will post up some pics later, but its nothing to get to excited about.

• Like 3

O.K. Time for some pics, I did say don't get excited, but here is the 9 road Fiddle Yard, I just need to add the copper clad sleepers to the board joint and re cut the rails tomorrow, but as you will see in Fridays Video, I do have Trains running.

IMG_0598.JPG.245ea0e8989531f2f2df06681cfb694f.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG.f46cb7b0238b48f28c79655fcb5371a2.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG.1adbe14a488af411af96645e5b0ce2eb.JPG

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

How on earth do you do these so quickly? Do you not even stop for toilet breaks???

Oh I do stop, with 2 1/2 pints of water a day, I can assure you I do STOP Mike. 😅

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2022 at 14:18, Andrew P said:

The Crossover will give me the option of two Trains circulating, or just the one on a double run around.

Just dawned on me how you are going to make that work.  You leave all four points set to turnout and sit back and watch.

Now . . .

Signalling wise I have to tell you that you’re a very naughty boy.  Such arrangements are strictly forbidden.

But modelling wise, it’s clever.

And anyway, it’s off scene.

:-)
Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Just dawned on me how you are going to make that work.  You leave all four points set to turnout and sit back and watch.

Now . . .

Signalling wise I have to tell you that you’re a very naughty boy.  Such arrangements are strictly forbidden.

But modelling wise, it’s clever.

And anyway, it’s off scene.

:-)
Paul.

Yes, One BIG fiddle Paul, it would never work satisfactorily on the Scenic section, but yes just sit back and allow just a single slow Freight to meander around. 

What could possibly be better than that.😅   👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Yes, One BIG fiddle Paul, it would never work satisfactorily on the Scenic section, but yes just sit back and allow just a single slow Freight to meander around. 

What could possibly be better than that.😅   👍

A J19 with a train of 16 ton minerals all full of this years sugar beat harvest.

Or a Cravens DMU coupled to a Wickhams 2 car.

No rush no hurry. When the signalman exchanges the token with the driver they time to catch up with how Auntie Maud's varicose veins are doing. Such is the peaceful pace of life in the lands of the Angles.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A J19 with a train of 16 ton minerals all full of this years sugar beat harvest.

Or a Cravens DMU coupled to a Wickhams 2 car.

No rush no hurry. When the signalman exchanges the token with the driver they time to catch up with how Auntie Maud's varicose veins are doing. Such is the peaceful pace of life in the lands of the Angles.

Good grief young man, what tablets are you on? Cos I don't want any.   🤓  🤣

Had the Rake of 21 x 16T Minerals, full of coal normally hauled by a 9F, or a pair of 20's in my Blue Period, an awesome Train, I must admit, but times change and I have moved on. Our mate Jeff @binny now has them on his Leicester Layout, and they still look good.

As for carrying smelly moaning passengers, and chatting about family matters in works time, that's a big no, no I'm afraid,  😃

• Like 2

Not a great deal done today.

I have done the Copper Clads on the board join and fitted the feed wires so that the two boards can be used and tested independently if required, plus made a start on the gradient to the high level on the end of the board.

In now for Lunch, and that will be it for today.

IMG_0607.JPG.1e298a08ae0fb41854964d0ae8a29b99.JPG

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

53 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Sorry to be thick Andy, but I just don't understand what that wiring does, other than separate the feeds across one rail each on two tracks. How does that work?

Thanks!

O.K. Mike, I'll try and explain my logic.

The power feed will come in to the two outer rails, and then a feed from there it goes to its opposing inner rail, giving power to the lead point, which then feeds the other via the insulfrog point switching.

I hope that makes some sense. 

The centre plug is to separate the two boards electrically.

357860279_POINTSBOARDWIRING.png.937f0db598c0ac02da7742691baccd4c.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Andy - I did not realise you are using Insulfrog, which makes all the difference, of course.

Yes Mike

, code 100 insulation in the fiddle yard  and code 75 electo on the scenic side.

• Informative/Useful 1