Tonleigh Bridge (East Yard) Speedlink

Andrew P

2 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Morning Andy

Like the changes you’ve made I’m sure it’ll give more Play value.😉

Cheers Ian, just need you down sometime with a nice rake of Warflats and Tanks once the Yard is wired. 😃

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Andy,

Each change you make improves the whole layout, it is coming on well.

David

Thanks David, Yes, I'm happy with the changes as well, so the changes so far will remain now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So watching the layout develop - those engineers sidings - how about a proper Speedlink experience, Tavistock Junction style, with some single ended sorting sidings for the various trips.

Would add more shunting potential to your layout than a series of gravel hoppers, as Speedlink trains arriving can drop and pick up wagons.

Just a thought, that's all :)

Edited by woodenhead
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So watching the layout develop - those engineers sidings - how about a proper Speedlink experience, Tavistock Junction style, with some single ended sorting sidings for the various trips.

Would add more shunting potential to your layout than a series of gravel hoppers, as Speedlink trains arriving can drop and pick up wagons.

Just a thought, that's all :)

Thanks Woody, I do like that idea, my mate Kevin has that on his Layout and it works really well, my biggest problem is having the room for it, but I will do a re study and see what ideas I can muster up.

Cheers for your input and ideas, useful as always. 👍

Hello Mr P, nice improvements, defo better visually and operationally.

Can I suggest some stock variation ? May be a 205 2H, or a …… wait for this …. BUBBLE CAR ? 🤭 you know it makes sense ? 🙃

PS sorry we missed you at the Stafford GOG show today !! It was said you was seen leaving there with 2 x Dapol 08’s, a selection of O gauge wagons, 3 x o gauge Peco points, and a box of 12 yards of code 124 bullhead flexi track !!! 

something Ian Futers in the pipeline ? 

Craig 

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Hello Mr P, nice improvements, defo better visually and operationally.

Can I suggest some stock variation ? May be a 205 2H, or a …… wait for this …. BUBBLE CAR ? 🤭 you know it makes sense ? 🙃

PS sorry we missed you at the Stafford GOG show today !! It was said you was seen leaving there with 2 x Dapol 08’s, a selection of O gauge wagons, 3 x o gauge Peco points, and a box of 12 yards of code 124 bullhead flexi track !!! 

something Ian Futers in the pipeline ? 

Craig 

And then you woke up. 😮🤣🤣👍

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, Rhysb said:

Coming along nicely Andy! Like the changes and look forward to seeing them in the flesh sometime in the future.

Rhys

Cheers Rhys, That would be good, I'm sure we can arrange an OPEN DAY, with the gang.

Let me rip it up just a couple more times first though. 🤣 🙄😡🤓🤣👍

• Funny 3

Just watched Video No7 Andy, the changes look great. I like this layout a lot, the yard and stabling is a great idea for varied stock movements and the engineers yard is a nice way to do some shunting and run some unusual wagons. I know you've got your era and location worked out but for me I like the idea that, with some not too specific scenery/buildings you could run different era's or regions.

It's all looking very, very nice and you've so many options when it comes to ''playing trains'' 👍 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Just watched Video No7 Andy, the changes look great. I like this layout a lot, the yard and stabling is a great idea for varied stock movements and the engineers yard is a nice way to do some shunting and run some unusual wagons. I know you've got your era and location worked out but for me I like the idea that, with some not too specific scenery/buildings you could run different era's or regions.

It's all looking very, very nice and you've so many options when it comes to ''playing trains'' 👍 

There is a passing resemblence to the Speedlink sidings at Fort William albeit with the single ended sidings the other way around.

Perhaps @Andrew P could stock up on a few 27s and some large logo 37/0s.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Thanks Steve, The Yard at the front has all sorts of possibilities, Woodenhead @woodenheadsuggested some dead end sidings the other day, but I have been working the front loops as sorting Sidings for making up Trains to put in the main Yard, and that works well.

NOTE, Only pushing stock about as its not wired yet and has no Point Motors.

• Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

There is a passing resemblence to the Speedlink sidings at Fort William albeit with the single ended sidings the other way around.

Perhaps @Andrew P could stock up on a few 27s and some large logo 37/0s.........

Don't tempt me with any more 37's mate, my account is empty. 🤪 And as for 27's I had 26 and 27's plus 37's on Glen Roy. 

NICE.👍

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I think I might have missed it, but is there a head-shunt to the fan of Speedlink sidings?  Or is that the single track (access) each end?  I am being a bit slow, I fear.  Lovely results so far, I must add, and am envious of the space available.  Thanks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, C126 said:

Sorry, I think I might have missed it, but is there a head-shunt to the fan of Speedlink sidings?  Or is that the single track (access) each end?  I am being a bit slow, I fear.  Lovely results so far, I must add, and am envious of the space available.  Thanks.

Hi C126, There will be a Head Shunt to the North / left of Yard, but sadly not to the South / Door lifting flap due to not being originally planned and now lack of room, so that end will access out direct to the single track running line.

It would have been nice to have one at each end, but room and BAD PLANNING has dictated otherwise.🤪

Edited by Andrew P
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi C126, There will be a Head Shunt to the North / left of Yard, but sadly not to the South / Door lifting flap due to not being originally planned and now lack of room, so that end will access out direct to the single track running line.

It would have been nice to have one at each end, but room and BAD PLANNING has dictated otherwise.🤪

Thanks, Andy, for answering my query.  I was not sure how the yard was to be operated - Speedlink being something to do with speedy marshalling in sections (cuts of wagons, I assume) compared to tradional wagon-load 'full re-marshalling'(?) - so wondered if practical operation would be different.  Sorry about the bad planning, but it will make for more interesting 'playing', I hope.  Look forward to the next video.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, C126 said:

Thanks, Andy, for answering my query.  I was not sure how the yard was to be operated - Speedlink being something to do with speedy marshalling in sections (cuts of wagons, I assume) compared to tradional wagon-load 'full re-marshalling'(?) - so wondered if practical operation would be different.  Sorry about the bad planning, but it will make for more interesting 'playing', I hope.  Look forward to the next video.  Thanks again.

Hmmmmmmmm

Make the current fiddleyard into arrivals sidings, one line on the flat round to the sorting sidings for light engine moves with a small fuelling point, the other line rises to a hump which leads to the sorting sidings/departure roads.

Think more Dringhouses than Tinsley, but that would be an interesting model, you can still have an outside loop for trains to pass, but they always end up back at the arrivals sidings for resorting.

Of course the challenge would be braking the first wagons into a siding, the fast points changes and uncoupling wagons without having to go to three links.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

33 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Hmmmmmmmm

Make the current fiddleyard into arrivals sidings, one line on the flat round to the sorting sidings for light engine moves with a small fuelling point, the other line rises to a hump which leads to the sorting sidings/departure roads.

Think more Dringhouses than Tinsley, but that would be an interesting model, you can still have an outside loop for trains to pass, but they always end up back at the arrivals sidings for resorting.

Of course the challenge would be braking the first wagons into a siding, the fast points changes and uncoupling wagons without having to go to three links.

Now I'm totally confused. 🤣

I will be in the process of simplifying and improving things over the coming days, but not in time for Fridays Fun and Frolics (i.e. Video).

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

... braking the first wagons into a siding, ... and uncoupling wagons without having to go to three links.

I am so sorry to keep asking questions here, but please could the above be explained when someone has the time.  Am I right in thinking "braking the first wagons into a siding" is the shunting loco pushing/pulling the cut of wagons into a sorting siding and applying the brakes on it?  But I am afraid the "uncoupling wagons without having to go to three links" has me quite confused.

I am eager to learn the jargon!  I assume it has nothing to do with "Top link".  A thousand thanks.

9 hours ago, C126 said:

I am so sorry to keep asking questions here, but please could the above be explained when someone has the time.  Am I right in thinking "braking the first wagons into a siding" is the shunting loco pushing/pulling the cut of wagons into a sorting siding and applying the brakes on it?  But I am afraid the "uncoupling wagons without having to go to three links" has me quite confused.

I am eager to learn the jargon!  I assume it has nothing to do with "Top link".  A thousand thanks.

I was playing out the idea of having a hump shunting yard for Andy - but they're rather difficult to replicate as models don't have brakes but suffer more inertia that real wagons (well they did in the past) meaning they need to start rolling quite rapidly.  So controlling a wagon down from the hump into the actual sorting sidings is quite a challenge, and I don't think anyone does a working Dowty hydraulic system in 4mm scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I was playing out the idea of having a hump shunting yard for Andy - but they're rather difficult to replicate as models don't have brakes but suffer more inertia that real wagons (well they did in the past) meaning they need to start rolling quite rapidly.  So controlling a wagon down from the hump into the actual sorting sidings is quite a challenge, and I don't think anyone does a working Dowty hydraulic system in 4mm scale.

Cheers for your explanation, I'm not sure hump yards were still used in the Speedlink era, I can't think of any.

The changes that will be made, when I have some time over the weekend will make it more like Bescot, Didcot, Tonbridge Yard and Eastleigh, but on a much smaller scale.

Cheers again for your valued input.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1