GER W&U Train Packs

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

Well, Santa dropped off my sound fitted, pre 1919 train pack. Joyous. 

Now questioning whether or not I 'need' the post 1919 equivalent...........

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, Santa dropped off my sound fitted, pre 1919 train pack. Joyous. 

Now questioning whether or not I 'need' the post 1919 equivalent...........

Rob. 

Get a grip man....of course you do...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

Gave my Titfield coach a spin today. Should the gas pipe on the roof be straight, connecting (in theory) to each of the gas lamps, possibly through short spurs? Or were the only external connections at each end, as on the model? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

From what I recall of the film, the stove pipe was hinged and folded down on a rope just in time to avoid hitting low bridges,

That would be Dan’s coach rather than the blue liveried ex W&U / GE tram car which ran with 1401 before it was sabotaged 😉

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

W&U carriages.

I note in John Watling's caption to the GER Society Journal January 2024 cover photo of a W&U train, that he could identify the carriages, as only the composite carried the armorial device, whereas Rapido have included it, presumably in error, on the full third.

20231220_191751.jpg.0146b1dd041911cdbc8cf87c6c09da34.jpg

Has anyone yet had a go at removing the incorrect lettering on the model?

Paul

Edited by PaulG
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PaulG said:

W&U carriages.

I note in John Watling's caption to the GER Society Journal January 2024 cover photo of a W&U train, that he could identify the carriages, as only the composite carried the armorial device, whereas Rapido have included it, presumably in error, on the full third.

Paul

Would I be correct in thinking this coach in GER crimson was only produced as part of the train pack and not available separately?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Would I be correct in thinking this coach in GER crimson was only produced as part of the train pack and not available separately?

Apart from the 'as preserved' version, which was available separately, yes the pre-grouping GER versions were only available in the train packs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PaulG said:

W&U carriages.

Paul

We would love to have seen a photo that shows the carriage did not carry it. Sadly photos of the coaches in crimson are few and far between. 

We did ask for help from the Society but sadly we received very little. If they had told us this we would have taken it on board.

Either way it would certainly have looked odd with only one coach with a crest - and probably led to more complaints for getting it wrong. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

15 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

We would love to have seen a photo that shows the carriage did not carry it. Sadly photos of the coaches in crimson are few and far between. 

We did ask for help from the Society but sadly we received very little. If they had told us this we would have taken it on board.

Either way it would certainly have looked odd with only one coach with a crest - and probably led to more complaints for getting it wrong. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Andy

Andy

How is the crest/armorial device reproduced, is it an overlay to the body paint finish or printed as part of the body colour?

Paul

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

It’s a tampo print that has been applied over the top of the red base colour.

Andy

Hopefully, it will "cut out" and varnish over.

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulG said:

Hopefully, it will "cut out" and varnish over.

Paul

Any method risks damage to the paint but I have heard of some people having success with using a wooden cocktail stick on our wagons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Any method risks damage to the paint but I have heard of some people having success with using a wooden cocktail stick on our wagons.

I've used a wooden cocktail stick to remove writing from a couple of diecast vehicles, it works very well. T-cut on a cotton bud is also effective (but make sure any residue is cleaned off thoroughly).

• RMweb Gold

I know that First Class carriages had the crest, I'm not sure about composites that included a First Class element. John Watling is THE authority on GER coaches so I would trust his word.

It is sad to hear you did not get much assistance from the GERS as in my experience they are more than happy to advise. Not sure what went wrong there.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

It is sad to hear you did not get much assistance from the GERS as in my experience they are more than happy to advise. Not sure what went wrong there.

One can only suppose there was some sort of miscommunication. As someone who is involved with a line society, my advice to any manufacturer planning a model of an historic item of rolling stock is to work closely with the relevant line society from the start of the project. That is the best and surest route to accurate knowledge, drawings, photos, etc. I am confident those involved would be happy with NDAs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This crest thing has prompted me to look through the books. 

It's difficult when dealing with undated black and white images to be truly sure but I'm struck by how dark the coaches look, even when the images are dated to years when, in theory, the livery was Stratford brown. 

However, there is an image of number 8 clearly showing the crest in the Oakwood press volume on page 221. The image is undated and does look pre WW1 but the coaches are dark in hue. 

• Like 1

Sadly some societies are much more forthcoming than others.

There are at least two I have tried to deal with whom were obviously uninterested or wanted to look down their noses at us as I didn’t know the secret handshake or the exact mix of paint that Stratford works used in 1911 so this I must be not worthy of their attention. Sad - and likely to mean we won’t look at things made by the company they obviously so adore. Interestingly we have found help outside of the ‘official’ channels with other excepted.

Other specific groups and experts have bent over backwards and cannot be more helpful. So much so that when they have suggested new products and put packages and research materials together to show their idea we have taken it forward and you now all have their stuff on your layouts.

Its not easy being a manufacturer…

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

There are at least two I have tried to deal with whom were obviously uninterested or wanted to look down their noses at us as I didn’t know the secret handshake or the exact mix of paint that Stratford works used in 1911 so this I must be not worthy of their attention. Sad - and likely to mean we won’t look at things made by the company they obviously so adore. Interestingly we have found help outside of the ‘official’ channels with other excepted.

Other specific groups and experts have bent over backwards and cannot be more helpful. So much so that when they have suggested new products and put packages and research materials together to show their idea we have taken it forward and you now all have their stuff on your layouts.

You'd think the GER Society would have embraced the opportunity to promote their company. 

I was about to join as I have developed quite an interest in the GER. However, on reading of their response in this instance, I won't be. I would not want to be part of any such elitiism. If I miss out on access to information etc, so be it. No good members now shouting foul when they were given the opportunity to be involved. They've only themselves to blame. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

I did send you suggested GER items and a number of photographs of W&U stock, but I didn't know you were going to do both W&U  carriages. Of course it is always up to the manufacturer what he chooses to produce, and hopefully duplication of new items can also be considered in such discussions.

You have my contact details - and various other GERS members.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

You'd think the GER Society would have embraced the opportunity to promote their company. 

I was about to join as I have developed quite an interest in the GER. However, on reading of their response in this instance, I won't be. I would not want to be part of any such elitiism. If I miss out on access to information etc, so be it. No good members now shouting foul when they were given the opportunity to be involved. They've only themselves to blame. 

Rob. 

Rob

Read my reply to Andy. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As a member I've witnessed absolutely no Elitism whatsoever. Which is why I find this so odd. Something definitely hasn't gone as it should have and I really hope it doesn't prevent further models as I know Paul and others have put a lot of effort into ones that are in production.

The GERS was originally created to assist with modelling and that hasn't changed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Rob

Read my reply to Andy. 

Paul

Thanks Paul and all duly noted. 

It's quite a big thing ( on a personal basis ) for me to join a society, of any kind. I just don't do it.  In this case, I consider doing so as my knowledge of the GER is quite limited though arguably, my interest is just as limited, being confined to the branches of East Anglia. 

I do hope that more RTR GER locos and stock see the light of day. Given that Rapido's tram locos were predominately goods locos, now we have the coach packs, a future wagon pack would be very welcome. A van, a five plank or 7 plank open and a 10 ton brake van would be an excellent result. 

Rob

• Like 4